Newcastle 1 - 0 Portsmouth Post match thoughts

Dave

Guest toongimp

A great win but our table position hasn't changed which still makes me nervous. More of the same for Reading and Blackburn please. Chelsea seemed a bit off today against  Man Utd but still a quality side. Perhaps we can get Chelsea on a similar off day (and our carling cup fixture as well) :winking:

That was by far our best performance this season, in all competitions.  We actually deserved to win today, and had we not, we would have every right to feel angry, I don't think any of you can say that about any other game this season...

That was by far our best performance this season, in all competitions.  We actually deserved to win today, and had we not, we would have every right to feel angry, I don't think any of you can say that about any other game this season...

Think we can say that about the chartlon game aswell, tbh.

I think this game is a bit glorified, the first half wasn't that good at all and the first 10-15 minutes of the second half wasn't too encouriging as well. Still, we comfirtably beat the 4th best team this season, so im not disappointed at all

deserved the win overall,dyer MOTM closely followed by emre,butt,solano,bramble.

when a team like portsmouth are up where they are it gives hope.

i know calamity james has his detractors but i'm struggling to remember him having a poor game up here,and he's played a good few games up here.(maybe the 4-3 V man citeh if he was in goal for it)

We haven't lost for five games and three of them have been wins. Impressive for a team who's form is bad :D

alternativly first league win in10.

good finish when onside aswell from martins!

I know, but lets be positive, eh?

We haven't lost for five games and three of them have been wins. Impressive for a team who's form is bad :D

We've lost 2 of the last 11 doesn't actually sound that bad  :lol:.

Really excellent performance today from every single player. Nobby was just brilliant at RB, Taylor and Bramble were fucking immense, Ramage showed his deficiencies at LB again but that block was inspired, Emre was absolutely superb for the first time in a long time, N'Zogbia started slowly but during the second half he was last season's model and along with Martins and Dyer, absolutely fucking terrorised Pompey (Duff can fuck right off when he comes back)... and as for the Sib - love the Sib!

We've lost 2 of the last 11 doesn't actually sound that bad  :lol:.

:D :D :lol:

Guest TheOrder

I really need to find a clip of Emre today, the way he controlled the ball in the air, brought it down and got past two defenders, look awesome in the flesh :thup:

First-half diagnosis?

Decent performance although could have been tighter in midfield.

Second-half diagnosis?

Very good counter-attacking football only let down by good goalkeeping and woeful finishing. Thought Nicky Butt played fantastically infront of the back four.

Full-time diagnosis?

Decent performance, 8/10

Star man for United?

Nicky Butt or Nobby Solano for me. Both played sensibly and used player their games well especially for Nobby who isnt an out and out FB.Sib was good too when he came on, no bad performances spring to mind.

Worst United player?

At a push Ramage but only because he doesnt offer anything going forward, he didnt have a bad game though and we have no-one better until Jan (hopefully)

Opposition comment?

How the fuck are they 4th? Played us twice, been battered twice. Would still love Sol in our back four though.

Toon-pros?

Good cohesion and battling spirit, willingness to get the ball on the floor and play. Helped by the atmosphere i think.

Toon-cons?

Should've have had the game out of sight

Post-match feelings?

Happy, hopefully we can build on this and get the point we need in Jormany and win against Reading and Watford and get something at Blackburn and thus climb the table. I hold no hope for Chelsea!.

Was brilliant listening to somebody like Leonardo praising us last night.  :cool:

Basically said something along the lines of it was the first time he'd seen both clubs play this season and didn't have a clue how it was Pompey 4th top, and us 4th bottom, asking Shearer the reason and he just said lack of goals.

Was brilliant listening to somebody like Leonardo praising us last night.  :cool:

Basically said something along the lines of it was the first time he'd seen both clubs play this season and didn't have a clue how it was Pompey 4th top, and us 4th bottom, asking Shearer the reason and he just said lack of goals.

Your ROEDOMETER needs an update

Guest smoggeordie

Shearer's analysis of Martins was superb last night. As big a fan as i am of Martins, as i do think he will be a success here, he ain't a natural goalscorer - no matter what Roeder says.

Martins is a great creative player and I think he'd thrive alonside Owen. Little Mickey would have had a Hat trick yesterday.

Shearer's analysis of Martins was superb last night. As big a fan as i am of Martins, as i do think he will be a success here, he ain't a natural goalscorer - no matter what Roeder says.

Martins is a great creative player and I think he'd thrive alonside Owen. Little Mickey would have had a Hat trick yesterday.

Absolutely. It was Martins' finesse and vision that created our goal yesterday. I can imagine him being an awesome player for us outside the box, which is why i think i'd prefer a non Martins-Dyer partnership. Dyer should be in midfield. But with Owen, yeah, Martins and him would compliment each other - it'd be a magnificent partnership.

But like Shearer was saying - Martins' movement inside the box wasn't really to busy. When the ball is out wide - him, as a centre-forward, needs to be making runs either to the far post or the back post. Martins did neither. But still, he's only young - but i bet someone like Shearer could teach him a lot, because both have got a fantastic heading ability.

But speaking of which, Martins WOULD hve had a hat-trick yesterday. Just the goal was ruled out, and N'Zogbia and Emre were too selfish. They both had easy shooting opportunities, but if they'd passed it to Martins, he would have scored.