Newcastle 1 - 0 Portsmouth Post match thoughts

Dave

Shay Given - Nowt to do. Kicking was poor again. 6.

Nolberto Solano - Another faultless performance at right-back. Got up the line well this time aswell, and his defending was very comfortable. 7.

Steven Taylor - An absolute rock at the back. On the ground his control and organisation was excellent, and in the air he was a monster. 8.

Titus Bramble - Started off terrible. Bad clearances, bad passing, bad passing, missed headers, mis-timed tackles, just rubbish. A couple of good tackles redeemed himself. Still not happy. 6.

Peter Ramage - Crap going forward, as usual, but made one or two tasty blocks and a couple of good challenges. Fair game. 6.

James Milner - Was neer really in it, but picke dup as the half went on. Ran at a weak Stefanovic but again with his crosses - wha? 7.

Scott Parker - Didn't really do much when he was on, except give the ball away. Not on long enough for me to grade him.

Belozoglu Emre - Absolutely dominated the midfield, and was good going forward. Didn't know he was so fast - he ran at players who were scared of him. Shocking miss, but his corners improved. 8.

Charles N'Zogbia - Started off poorly and his control is still wayward, but in the second half he really picked up and clearly grew in confidence. Great assist and was mega-dangerous when he ran at players. 7.

Kieron Dyer - Fantastic game. He really does give us something else. His passing and movement, his pace, his running at players, his build-up play, absolutely phenomenal. Deserved a goal. MOTM. 8.

Obafemi Martins - Another excellent game from Oba. Like Zoggy and Dyer, he absolutely petrified the defenders. So unfortunate not to score, cos he deserved a hat-trick. 8.

Subs:

Nicky Butt - Came on and did his job magnificently. He's becoming something of a Mr Reliable for us this season. Well done Nicky. 7.

Antoine Sibierski - Hero. Another well taken goal from Sibierski and his touches and hold-up play was good again. Cult Hero. 7.

Nolberto Solano - Another faultless performance at right-back. Got up the line well this time aswell, and his defending was very comfortable. 7.

Steven Taylor - An absolute rock at the back. On the ground his control and organisation was excellent, and in the air he was a monster. 8.

Titus Bramble - Started off terrible. Bad clearances, bad passing, bad passing, missed headers, mis-timed tackles, just rubbish. A couple of good tackles redeemed himself. Still not happy. 6.

Peter Ramage - Crap going forward, as usual, but made one or two tasty blocks and a couple of good challenges. Fair game. 6.

James Milner - Was neer really in it, but picke dup as the half went on. Ran at a weak Stefanovic but again with his crosses - wha? 7.

Scott Parker - Didn't really do much when he was on, except give the ball away. Not on long enough for me to grade him.

Belozoglu Emre - Absolutely dominated the midfield, and was good going forward. Didn't know he was so fast - he ran at players who were scared of him. Shocking miss, but his corners improved. 8.

Charles N'Zogbia - Started off poorly and his control is still wayward, but in the second half he really picked up and clearly grew in confidence. Great assist and was mega-dangerous when he ran at players. 7.

Kieron Dyer - Fantastic game. He really does give us something else. His passing and movement, his pace, his running at players, his build-up play, absolutely phenomenal. Deserved a goal. MOTM. 8.

Obafemi Martins - Another excellent game from Oba. Like Zoggy and Dyer, he absolutely petrified the defenders. So unfortunate not to score, cos he deserved a hat-trick. 8.

Subs:

Nicky Butt - Came on and did his job magnificently. He's becoming something of a Mr Reliable for us this season. Well done Nicky. 7.

Antoine Sibierski - Hero. Another well taken goal from Sibierski and his touches and hold-up play was good again. Cult Hero. 7.

Agree with every point except i'd give dyer a 9

Subs:

Spot on.

Subs:

You sure it was Zoggy who set Sib up? Im sure it was Martins, I maybe wrong thou

Guest Village Idiot

Who do you support, Village Idiot?

FC Barcelona, born and living there.

In England I support Bolton, I always liked how Sam gets a small team with a squad of rejects so up the table. But I wish NUFC no harm and slightly symphatize with you due to having had SBR as your manager (I was more in your favour when he was still manager).

Plus since I play keeper I'm a fan of Shay Given. Even got his shirt.

Guest theunis

Great to have a game live on sky and we produce the goods.

Given:  Little to do, so cant really rate him

Solano: Super looks so relaxed and makes RB look so easy.

Bramble: Have to say bit poor but he has uped his game, Pearce influence maby?

Taylor: Solid never looked troubled

Ramage: Did his job, nothing going forward typical CB at LB

Milner: Pitty about injury made there defender look poor

Parker: Looked decent hope injury is not bad

Emre: Amazing looked commited and inspiring his mates

Nzog: Poor 1st half, but came alive as the game went on

Butt: Man looks great, experience showing and working well with Emre pushing hard for starting spot

Dyer: absolutely amazing pace, can see the hunger and works well with Martins

Martins: must be furious with mate not playing him in, but man he sure looks dangerious, Prem defenders must be having night mares because he is gonna cause havoc once he gets more and more games

great game, building well.

Pro's as a team attacking and nice short game played with good feet from emre,dyer, martins.

Have to think Pearce making a diff?

GEEETTT IIINNNNNN

All round good play today fought harder, Dyer MOTM by miles  :thup: :thup:

Sibi is a legend :D Martins out jumped Sol  bluelaugh.gif bluelaugh.gif Big worries about Parker,Milner and Zog though, more injuries is the very last thing we needed.

Martins was enver offside for his disallowed gaol, it was a perfect pass from Dyer, linesman wants shot for flagging that 1, among others he flahhed for.

Titus booked when I am sure he won the balll, will have to see it again though. Mathew Taylor got what he deserved, his first tackle on Dyer was shocking, there was pure intent in it.

Scarfs looked awesome, did not really help firsy half but second half atmosphere was great  bluebiggrin.gif bluebiggrin.gif bluebiggrin.gif

First-half diagnosis?

Missed the first 4 minutes but apart from that we were in control and played some canny football without making it count.

Second-half diagnosis?

Not too different from the first except that we got closer to goal more often and tried really hard to score, we had more moves which resulted in shots, or at least it looked that way.  A few players shot when others were in better positions but at least they had the bottle to get into position and try, we've missed that.  All of the players were confident and tried to play football, the long ball was used less than I can remember this season in the league.

Full-time diagnosis?

Probably our best league game of the season, I never thought that Pompy would score and we played some brilliant stuff at times.

Star man for United?

Dyer, Emre and Nobby, I'm not sure in what order, probably Dyer at the top.  Nobby and Dyer had the flare, Emre got stuck in and made some brilliant interceptions, his running with the ball was excellent.

Worst United player?

That would be nit picking.

Opposition comment?

Shite, apart from calamity.

Toon-pros?

I can't remember the last time I watched a right back have such a good game for Newcastle.  Dyer showed what we have missed while he's been injured.  A terrible pro in the past but makes a massive difference when playing and injury free, I was willing him to score as his game deserved a goal.

Toon-cons?

Possibly the injuries and my lack of confidence that we'll play as well next time.

Post-match feelings?

Over the moon.

i only say the second half - but that was a great performance - and for once against a decent side.

taylor was yet again great - i really like his attitude.

the rb position is nobby's to loose.

the pace of martins, dyer and zoggy made the difference.

class - finally something to cheer about - what a week!

Great performances by Nobby and Dyer - they barely wasted possession once.

The crowd finally got behind the team ten minutes into the second half, and it gave the lads a real lift.

I can't remember wanting a final whistle to go more. It would have been a travesty not to have won. I don't understand why Portsmouth are in the top four. They didn't really threaten all game.

It looks like we've only got 11 fit players now, so we won't have any arguments about team selection. Looks like Luque's fans will get their wish because Roeder won't have any choice but to play him.

Bramble was immense, :thup:

He was in the last 15 minutes, aye.

I thought the defence was good today, Pompey didnt even have a shot on goal did they? Ramage thou is still a huge weakness because he aint a LB, He aint even left footed but thats down to Roeder not getting a decent LB in the Summer.

The crowd finally got behind the team ten minutes into the second half, and it gave the lads a real lift.

I can't remember wanting a final whistle to go more. It would have been a travesty not to have won. I don't understand why Portsmouth are in the top four. They didn't really threaten all game.

It looks like we've only got 11 fit players now, so we won't have any arguments about team selection. Looks like Luque's fans will get their wish because Roeder won't have any choice but to play him.

I might be wrong but we seem to play better when we have fewer players for Roeder to chose from, his limited input seems to improve us as a team.

I might be wrong but we seem to play better when we have fewer players for Roeder to chose from, his limited input seems to improve us as a team.

:lol:

Yea, When he has alot of players and can form some sort of tactic he lets himself down. Last season we were down to the bare bones and Roeder done extremely well