Newcastle 1 - 0 Portsmouth Post match thoughts

Dave

Guest smoggeordie

When Dyer switched to the right yesterday he showed amazing link up with Nobby down the flank and got behind their full back on numerous occasions.

When Dyer switched to the right yesterday he showed amazing link up with Nobby down the flank and got behind their full back on numerous occasions.

Wide right, up front or through the middle is does not amtter with Dyer, he will have an impact no matter what role plays, even wide left if neeed be.

But I think if we gave him a free role he would be superb and a nightmare for any team to pick up, imagine being tasked to keep an eye on Dyer if he was in a free role, you would be fkn knackerd.

Would rather...

Milner --- Parker --- Dyer --- N'Zogbia

Sibierski --- Martins

... with Parker in the holding role. But yours is good too. :wink:

Mate, there's another thread specifically about Parker, but you've mentioned him here again with reference to the holding role. What attributes do you think he has that make him suitable for that role? How much importance do you place on the ability to move the ball quickly and accurately, and for the pass to be the correct one, ie decision making.

In fairness they switched Dyer to the right when Matt Taylor got hurt. They knew Pompey cant sub him off. It was a weakness, and we exploited it. The last thing u need if ur injured and hobbling around is Dyer running at you.

Doesn't mean Dyer's best placed on the right.

tbf their fullback was fucked and was only playing because their previous on went off with knee ligament damage or something...

very pleased for dyer and hope that cut is just superficial!

tbf their fullback was fucked and was only playing because their previous on went off with knee ligament damage or something...

Didnt Dyer go on the RW when Milner got injured and Sibi came on? Anyways it doesnt matter, Dyer did link up well with Solano. I remember an article a while ago when Solano said he loves playing with Dyer because they both know each others game, I hope to god Roeder doesnt let Carr back into the game until its the last option

Didnt Dyer go on the RW when Milner got injured and Sibi came on? Anyways it doesnt matter, Dyer did link up well with Solano. I remember an article a while ago when Solano said he loves playing with Dyer because they both know each others game, I hope to god Roeder doesnt let Carr back into the game until its the last option

Yes Dyer went  wide right when Milner went off so they brought on Taylor to cope with Dyer.

Would rather...

Sibierski --- Martins

Mate, there's another thread specifically about Parker, but you've mentioned him here again with reference to the holding role. What attributes do you think he has that make him suitable for that role? How much importance do you place on the ability to move the ball quickly and accurately, and for the pass to be the correct one, ie decision making.

I'm thinking more defensive capabilities, rather than spreading the play, which i know he is not very good at. His tackling and doggedness should win him a few balls and will help the defense out massively, just like Butt does. I think he is an important player, and with him in that role, it's not as if he can screw up our attacks.

But i'm not going to argue with you on this issue, because i know you will argue about Parker until you're blue in the face. And i don't know enough about the player to 'match' you, so i'm not going to bother. That's my opinion, you have yours. End!

I don't understand this spreading the play argument people are using against Parker. It's bullshit. When he came on against Celta Vigo he sprayed a first-time 50 yard ball out to the right wing for Nobby to run onto that Butt would never hit in a month of Sundays.

Would rather...

Sibierski --- Martins

I'm thinking more defensive capabilities, rather than spreading the play, which i know he is not very good at. His tackling and doggedness should win him a few balls and will help the defense out massively, just like Butt does. I think he is an important player, and with him in that role, it's not as if he can screw up our attacks.

But i'm not going to argue with you on this issue, because i know you will argue about Parker until you're blue in the face. And i don't know enough about the player to 'match' you, so i'm not going to bother. That's my opinion, you have yours. End!

Tut tut. You surprise me, mate. It's all about opinions, we don't have to agree but that's no reason for you to duck the thing.

So, I won't argue about Parker until I'm blue in the face because I've said what I think of him and I've said why I don't think he's that good. Rather than others (not you specifically) making statements along the lines of "Parker should be better than Butt" I'm interested in what it is people see in him that makes them believe he is a) good enough for us at all, b) can play the holding role, c) can play as an attacking midfielder.

I don't understand this spreading the play argument people are using against Parker. It's bullshit. When he came on against Celta Vigo he sprayed a first-time 50 yard ball out to the right wing for Nobby to run onto that Butt would never hit in a month of Sundays.

You're very simplistic, but ok, you think Parker has good enough passing ability to be a holding midfielder and some others don't.

You're very simplistic, but ok, you think Parker has good enough passing ability to be a holding midfielder and some others don't.

Eh? I've provided a recent example of Parker speading the play quickly and accurately in a more direct fashion that I've ever seen from Nicky Butt. FWIW, I don't want Parker to play the holding midfield role, and I don't think he's as suited to it as Butt, but I disagree that his passing is substandard.

Would rather...

Sibierski --- Martins

Tut tut. You surprise me, mate. It's all about opinions, we don't have to agree but that's no reason for you to duck the thing.

So, I won't argue about Parker until I'm blue in the face because I've said what I think of him and I've said why I don't think he's that good. Rather than others (not you specifically) making statements along the lines of "Parker should be better than Butt" I'm interested in what it is people see in him that makes them believe he is a) good enough for us at all, b) can play the holding role, c) can play as an attacking midfielder.

That's fair enough mate. I love arguing, don't get me wrong ;-) , just that it's pointless on this occasion because i'm to and fro about Parker anyway, and i don't know enough about the player himself.

Guest newcastle4life

First-half diagnosis?

Pretty good defending not bad attacking

Second-half diagnosis?

good in general

Full-time diagnosis?

much better then past performances

Star man for United?

Dyer

Worst United player?

none really but parker wasnt great before he got injured or Ramage for full match as he isnt a left back

Opposition comment?

Awful apart from James

Toon-pros?

Defending

some good attacking

Toon-cons?

Couldnt score more goals

Post-match feelings?

happ just to see a win and performance