What constitutes a big club?

LooneyToonArmy

Potential is the key here. West Ham may be in the Championship, but the club are eyeing a swift return to the Premier League and a move to the cavernous Olympic stadium.

newspapers still have editors right?

what a load of fucking shit :lol:

I can't believe he ever won sports journalist of the year.

He's a very fluent, lively writer and does come up with some original takes on things. At the same time, his fluent, original take is just as likely to be daft as something that a less articulate writer comes up with.

If your definition of 'big' is European success, then we're not 'big'. Simple as that, really.

He seems to be interpreting the Nolan sale in the same way as the Carroll sale, but in fact they're quite different. With Nolan, it's part of our rebuilding process.

He also seems uncertain about where he himself stands in relation to Ashley's  desire to distance himself from the emotional pressures surrounding the club and its decisions. Personally, I think a bit of distance is what our club has needed for a long time.

When Hughton was sacked my manager who is a season ticket holder at Sunderland said to me that we should go and get David Moyes because he has taken Everton as far as he could but that he felt he could take Newcastle to title wins, competing against the best in the Champions League and effectively if he was successful and it was prolonged then we would rival Man Utd as the biggest club in England. If a Mackem can see that sort of potential in Newcastle then surely they have to already be regarded as the a big club. If managed well we do have that potential, it's a tough challenge but if we were to become more successful on the pitch then we would be attracting large crowds, sell more shirt, gain more fans overseas etc. It was only a few years ago you couldn't get a season ticket for love nor money and in the latter of Shepard years he even drew up proposals to extend SJP to just above 60K. To say that we are now at the highest point this club can achieve is wide off the mark.

manager who is a season ticket holder at Sunderland said to me that we should go and get David Moyes because he has taken Everton as far as he could but that he felt he could take Newcastle to title wins, competing against the best in the Champions League and effectively if he was successful and it was prolonged then we would rival Man Utd as the biggest club in England.

Sounds like one of them "mag at work..." stories :bluestar:

Anyway, I hope you fucking hit him.

I can't believe he ever won sports journalist of the year.

He's a very fluent, lively writer and does come up with some original takes on things. At the same time, his fluent, original take is just as likely to be daft as something that a less articulate writer comes up with.

If your definition of 'big' is European success, then we're not 'big'. Simple as that, really.

He seems to be interpreting the Nolan sale in the same way as the Carroll sale, but in fact they're quite different. With Nolan, it's part of our rebuilding process.

He also seems uncertain about where he himself stands in relation to Ashley's  desire to distance himself from the emotional pressures surrounding the club and its decisions. Personally, I think a bit of distance is what our club has needed for a long time.

Ofcourse, we aren't a European Juggernaut that is up their with the likes of Barca, Madrid and Mnachester United. I wasn't disagreeing with the fact that we aren't a massive European club, but his lack of research on why Nolan left is why ithought it was a poor article and the fact that i have read many other articls by him which to me suggest he is a poor journalist. You say he comes up with a fluent original take on things i havent seen much evidence but will take your word for it.

When Hughton was sacked my manager who is a season ticket holder at Sunderland said to me that we should go and get David Moyes because he has taken Everton as far as he could but that he felt he could take Newcastle to title wins, competing against the best in the Champions League and effectively if he was successful and it was prolonged then we would rival Man Utd as the biggest club in England. If a Mackem can see that sort of potential in Newcastle then surely they have to already be regarded as the a big club. If managed well we do have that potential, it's a tough challenge but if we were to become more successful on the pitch then we would be attracting large crowds, sell more shirt, gain more fans overseas etc. It was only a few years ago you couldn't get a season ticket for love nor money and in the latter of Shepard years he even drew up proposals to extend SJP to just above 60K. To say that we are now at the highest point this club can achieve is wide off the mark.

We will never be able to rival Manchestere United as the biggest club in the country. We may, if we are lucky or Manchester United, decline be able to produce a team as good as their's but they will always be bigger. Though i do agree that we could be bigger than we are now.

He's a West Ham fan, nothing much else needs to be said, other than that he's fatter than Ashley and Shepherd put together.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lm1amcBEjL1qafrh6.gif

:lol:

why are we discussing what some fat guy with a bad beard has to say about us? just the fact he named nolan as our best midfielder says all that needs to be said about his actual knowledge of our side and indeed nolan, he just obviously quickly looked at the stats and saw 12 goals so decided that made him our best cm without looking at his contribution in general play.

Plus the idiot wrote off Carroll after 1 premier league game

Some of the comments are excellent on the article tbf, good to see. I wanted to post one myself but alas I am not registered on the Daily Fail.

All in all Martin, I think I'll continue supporting my small provincial club with it's paltry 52,000 crowds and it's daft policy of recruiting young players with pace, creativity and flair. As tempting as it is to swap alliegances to the European juggernaut that is West Ham, and admittedly the attraction of watching a club of clapped out overpaid has beens playing under the free flowing attacking genius of the humble and likeable Sam Allardyce is almost as strong a pull as watching a team play in a cavernous, though largely empty stadium, I will reluctantly follow the fortunes of Newcaslte Utd next season and beyond, and hopefully one day they'll be able to compete with the likes of West Ham for overweight sluggish tub thumpers on grossly distorted contracts, which as we all know is the mark of a truly big club.

I don't usually go along with the "media have got it in for us" stuff but this isn't the first article Samuels has written about Newcastle and they are always in the same vein. It really rankles with him for some reason that we are still perceived as a big club while he supports the most odious club in London.

Glad you're happy with Fat Sam and Nolan, now fuck off and thanks for Ba.

Some of the comments are excellent on the article tbf, good to see. I wanted to post one myself but alas I am not registered on the Daily Fail.

All in all Martin, I think I'll continue supporting my small provincial club with it's paltry 52,000 crowds and it's daft policy of recruiting young players with pace, creativity and flair. As tempting as it is to swap alliegances to the European juggernaut that is West Ham, and admittedly the attraction of watching a club of clapped out overpaid has beens playing under the free flowing attacking genius of the humble and likeable Sam Allardyce is almost as strong a pull as watching a team play in a cavernous, though largely empty stadium, I will reluctantly follow the fortunes of Newcaslte Utd next season and beyond, and hopefully one day they'll be able to compete with the likes of West Ham for overweight sluggish tub thumpers on grossly distorted contracts, which as we all know is the mark of a truly big club.

basically what I just wrote above but better written :lol:

And without wishing to reignite the hoariest of disputes, never has Newcastle’s place in the hierarchy of football been more relevant than now, having lost arguably their best performer, Kevin Nolan, to second-tier West Ham United.

Stopped reading there to be honest. Daily Mail, christ.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2005670/Martin-Samuel-So-whats-left-make-Toon-swoon.html

It was the eve of a European away game in Germany a few years ago. Manchester United were playing, but Newcastle United were giving them a run back home. A few journalists, a few beers and the talk turned to that most futile of debates: what constitutes a big club? Specifically, did Newcastle now qualify?

There was a significant Geordie presence around the table. The sceptics were outnumbered. And yet, as much as anybody ever wins a pub argument, we thought we carried this one. Our case was that the reach of a truly big club must extend beyond their locality. International stature was required, and therefore a significant European pedigree.

Newcastle were huge in the North East, granted, but invisible beyond. Kids in areas not served by a Premier League football club did not gravitate towards them the way they did Manchester United or Liverpool. Half of Singapore were not signed up to the supporters’ club.

Name the biggest club in Germany. Easy: Bayern Munich. Now the second. The consensus was for Borussia Dortmund, very strong at the time. And the third? There was much discussion.

Finally, it was agreed: Hamburg. And nobody even mentioned Schalke 04. Nobody advocated the third best-supported club in Germany, regularly pulling in crowds of more than 60,000 from the industrial outpost of Gelsenkirchen.

Schalke were omitted for the same reason Newcastle would be absent from any list of English juggernauts — because they had never experienced great success in Europe. Hamburg played Nottingham Forest in the 1980 European Cup final and signed Kevin Keegan in his prime.

These men, of a certain age, all knew Hamburg. None would recognise Schalke as greater simply because of local support. QED, the same applies to Newcastle. Now, who’s getting the beers in?

And without wishing to reignite the hoariest of disputes, never has Newcastle’s place in the hierarchy of football been more relevant than now, having lost arguably their best performer, Kevin Nolan, to second-tier West Ham United.

Nolan missed out to Joey Barton in the player of the year polls, but Barton is likely to be on his way, too, as is Jose Enrique, Jonas Gutierrez and perhaps Fabricio Coloccini. Even with £35million from the sale of Andy Carroll in the bank, the men who own Newcastle have looked at the numbers and decided many salaries are too rich for their tastes.

Size does matter. The Toon Army will consume the dreadful new shirt and fill the ground as always, they will plaster the name of Demba Ba on the back while waiting for the next local hero to emerge, but it is no longer enough.

Nolan was earning roughly £45,000 per week and was offered an extra year on his contract at £50,000, plus a £500,000 bonus if Newcastle finished in the top 10. West Ham proposed £55,000 per week and the chance to work with Sam Allardyce again, and Nolan took it.

Potential is the key here. West Ham may be in the Championship, but the club are eyeing a swift return to the Premier League and a move to the cavernous Olympic stadium.

Mike Ashley, Newcastle owner, clearly believes his club are operating at capacity. What would it take to compete with the new elite as represented by Manchester City and Chelsea, or even those bubbling under, like Liverpool or Tottenham Hotspur?

Ashley needs resources that Newcastle cannot generate alone, money that requires global revenue streams he has been unable to exploit. He either throws his own fortune at the problem, or finds a conservative third way.

So Newcastle are in limbo. Still big on expectation, hope and desire, just not big enough to stop their best midfielder dropping a division. Previous owners may have been unrealistic in their ambitions but at least they shared them with those in the Gallowgate End.

Ashley, an outsider, simply sees Newcastle for what they are. He would have been on the side of cold, hard logic that night in Germany but where is the fun in that?

I went to the canary islands a couple of years back, and three quaters of the people living there were wearing Newcastle Shirts.

Guest Roy the Irish Magpie

Martain Samuuel lol just looking at him shows you that he has way more fat than football knowledge what a c*nt. I can't belive how these people who talk out of their anus have jobs like that and can be respected by some people(people with as few brain cells as him) it's a joke.