Blaise Matuidi

Skeletor

Why do people keep mentioning It's June like it means something. We will keep on missing out on players like Sturridge and N'Zogbia coz we are not willing to spend money, not because of the fact we are in June

Who have Sturridge & N'Zogbia signed for?

Why do people keep mentioning It's June like it means something. We will keep on missing out on players like Sturridge and N'Zogbia coz we are not willing to spend money, not because of the fact we are in June

Why do I care how Sunderland, Liverpool or Villa conduct their transfer business opposed to us?  Wow they paid a large sum for average dross, I sure am jealous.  Wish we would splash out 15m on Gibson.  That'd show everyone we mean business

Surely the point was more aimed at the concept that transfer monies in aren't ringfenced for spending on new transfers and simply disappear into the club, rather than the quality of the players signed by those clubs who apparently do allocate it for spending.

The clubs mentioned have used their transfer income from selling players to buy players, spending most if not all of the same money in the process. Why are we different?

Pardew did say the Carroll money would be reinvested in signings and we will wait and see ,not all in one go but all the other money incoming from Merchandising ,season ticket sales ,sponsership ,T.V money etc would normally get used without the Carroll money regardless .

Nobody has spent owt yet this window. It hasn't even technically started yet has it?

I'd be horrified if we went about throwing £6 million to sign Craig Gardner, £12 million on those Man United lads and £12 million on Wickham. So I'm not sure why people are pointing towards Sunderland as a transfer policy we should be following. They're spunking cash on average players.

We should spend money, definitely, but we shouldn't just spend for the sake of it. People have their hearts set on signing Sturridge and N'Zogbia. If we get either of them then great I'd be over moon but if we don't and instead sign others who are not 'Premiership proven' then we have not failed. Frankly it's everybody else paying through the nose for English and English-based players that are stupid, not us for avoiding it.

What was it Stoke bidded for Dann and Jerome? £16 million ffs, and it was rejected.  :facepalm:

Personally I believe we should get any major signings (if we make any) in before the start of the season, which is six weeks away.

The only club who's really done that so far is Man Utd, technically Liverpool if you want to class Henderson as a major signing. I think we'll have at least two of the major ones in before the Arsenal game, with maybe a couple following before Sept 1st (I'm sticking N'Zogbia in the latter category).

I'd be horrified if we went about throwing £6 million to sign Craig Gardner, £12 million on those Man United lads and £12 million on Wickham. So I'm not sure why people are pointing towards Sunderland as a transfer policy we should be following. They're spunking cash on average players.

I think the point is more that they actualy have intent to spend though, not if they are doing it wisely or not. Sunderland obviosly see them as good signings, and have thrown the money required to get them. It 'appears' we will be reluctant to spend the cash required to get the players we want/need.

Of course "it is only June" (soz gdm) so it's pretty pointless me or anyone else complaining yet.

Who cares who they have or havnt signed for, they won't be coming here coz it's clear to anyone that we are not prepared to pay the going rate

Is Henderson for £20m, Wickham for £12m, etc. the going rate?

I know you were using it as means of an example, but I don't see how £6m for Gardner is a particularly bad deal. He's a decent player.

Disagree. I don't see how people can watch him play and still actually rate him as a footballer. Honestly think half the people on here have seen his stats and watched him on MOTD only. He's as average as they come, that's why Villa sold him for £3 million and he's just been relegated alongside a team full of more average crap.

Granted I'd be saying it's a tad expensive but what I was getting at was it's not as distorted as other figures for other players flying about IMO. He fits in with Sunderland's apparent mission of consolidation, certainly.

I would love those two but there are other players in the world. Truth is, if you sign players this early it normally means you have paid over the odds. This is especially the case for players who are sought after because why would the selling club be willing to settle early when they could drag it out a little to get the price up. There is the case that clubs will want stuff sorted early so they can find replacements in time but not this early, the transfer window hasn't even officially opened yet has it?

I think our business so far has been very impressive, we are still in June and have signed 3 talented international players and a promising youngsters which is more than most have. Some point to Liverpools ambition but Henderson for £20m will never make any sense to me. If they had signed him for his true value those wouldn't be talking about their ambition, it just seems the price of a player means more than the quality at times.

If there weren't clauses and a contract that had been run down we would have brought in players getting on for £20m and some would be a lot happier. I suppose it would show a willingness to invest so I can understand it from that point of view but it still seems a bit strange to me. It's the quality that essentially counts for me and I think the first 3 main players we have got early are exciting signings even if the net spend is practically nothing.

I'd have to say we've gotten the easy deals out of the way.  Ba and Marveaux were on frees and we had to beat other teams to get them.  That says something, IMO.  We find a clause in Cabaye's contract and get him.  Any other player the may want requires negotiations with clubs and agents and that takes time.  Sure, I'd like to see all the big business wrapping up by the reporting date but in reality, of all the players who will move this summer, how many actually have as of this moment?

I thought it was paying over the odds doing it late?

Where's the sweet spot, and why doesn't everyone buy then? :D

each deal depends on many things, how long is left on the contract, the player wants away, the club need the money etc.

How many deals do you see that have been drawn out all summer go through very late on? I'm talking Rooney, Berbatov, Arshavin, etc. Lots of deals happen like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if one or two names we've been mentioned along with in the last month go quiet for a while, and then re-emerge in the last few days.

Deadline day and you will be panic buying but I suppose it's a gamble for the selling team between how much they can get and how much time they leave themselves to bring the replacement in. There would be no point selling straight away unless it's a bid no-one else would match and there is no point selling at the last moment unless it's a stupid offer that you just wouldn't get any other time.

I suppose the sweet spot is when all interested parties have offered their 'take it or leave it' and the seller decides that's a satisfactory amount  :undecided:

Edit: then players may push for a certain club (Ben Arfa  :smitten:) and the seller has to find the best compromise.

I think the fact the transfer window overlaps with the season is a farce, personally.

That's down to the league though, Spain for example it doesn't start until normally the last weekend in August anyway, otherwise do we open the window when the Spanish League ends end of May, and close it when the French League starts first weekend in August for example, giving everyone only 2 months?