The other games today - 2011/12

Baggio

Since 08/09 season Stoke have spent NET £60M

We have spent -£48M in the same period (note the minus)

That's depressing

If you're a Stoke fan it is yes.

Considering they spent the 23 years prior to 2008 outside the top flight, I doubt their fans find it that depressing.

There's a thread on Oatcake forum that begs to differ. Pulis for all his good work getting them up, has spunked a massive load of cash on shit players. Four seasons in and today they win thanks to more throw ins. They've not even remotely evolved since they came up and it would take a similar sum to get them any further.

You just need look at Swansea and even Norwich as proof that you can play decent football in the Premier League after being promoted.

Must say I'd rather shit into my own throat than look at a Stoke forum but I doubt that particular thread will be overly busy now they have won their last 3  ???

The difference with the likes of Norwich & Swansea is that they were promoted playing respectable football (the quality of which is massively overrated btw), therefore haven't needed to adapt their style. Stoke, on the other hand, won promotion the ugly way. In an ideal world they would have attempted to progress to a more attractive style, but it's no surprise that they've stuck with what is relatively successful.

They've come a long, long way in the last 3/4 years and probably are stagnating slightly but it's going to take a lot more than what they have spent for the likes of Stoke, us and Everton to break the top 6 now (yes, I'm aware they only finished 13th last season lololol).

Guest kingdawson

I knew it wasn't our day as soon as the ref gave them a Goal kick when it was clear as day Bale didn't touch the ball. Tbh he was staring right at Crouch for the handball but nah didn't want to give it so lets just forget that.

The second half he...

1) doesn't give a corner when it's disgustingly obvious.

2) doesn't give a handball for Shawcross saving off the line.

3) doesn't give a goal despite Adebayor being 2 yards onside

4) doesn't give a pen for Kaboul being dragged down so obviously.

5) Books Kaboul for the incideent.

6) Doesn't give a pen for Shawcross diving and blocking Defoes shot and signals to Defoe that he didn't give it because his arms were not up (replays show otherwise.)

7) doesn't give a corner for Woodgate getting the most blatant touch on the ball when Adebayor was going past him.

I don't think enough has been made of Arsenal's turnaround this season. Very good run of form and while it might come to a hault next week against City, they've got a string of more winnable games after that.

Van Persie has, of course, been the key to Arsenal's upturn in fortune. I think it could be safe to say that without him, Arsenal would still be struggling.

Guest bimpy474

I knew it wasn't our day as soon as the ref gave them a Goal kick when it was clear as day Bale didn't touch the ball. Tbh he was staring right at Crouch for the handball but nah didn't want to give it so lets just forget that.

The second half he...

6) Doesn't give a pen for Shawcross diving and blocking Defoes shot and signals to Defoe that he didn't give it because his arms were not up (replays show otherwise.)

7) doesn't give a corner for Woodgate getting the most blatant touch on the ball when Adebayor was going past him.

But did give you a pen for a cheating dive.

Must say though you were on the end of a string of decisions that were unfiar.

Guest kingdawson

The second half he...

Wasn't a dive but he definately could have stayed up. Ok put it this way, if diving means you could stay up despite contact then yes it was a dive. Look at Whelan's reaction man, he put his arms up in an apolegetic manner and didnt event contest it. He clipped his leg and didn't get the ball but yes he could have stayed up.

Guest Heneage

Since 08/09 season Stoke have spent NET £60M

We have spent -£48M in the same period (note the minus)

That's depressing

If you're a Stoke fan it is yes.

Considering they spent the 23 years prior to 2008 outside the top flight, I doubt their fans find it that depressing.

There's a thread on Oatcake forum that begs to differ. Pulis for all his good work getting them up, has spunked a massive load of cash on s*** players. Four seasons in and today they win thanks to more throw ins. They've not even remotely evolved since they came up and it would take a similar sum to get them any further.

You just need look at Swansea and even Norwich as proof that you can play decent football in the Premier League after being promoted.

Must say I'd rather s*** into my own throat than look at a Stoke forum but I doubt that particular thread will be overly busy now they have won their last 3  ???

The difference with the likes of Norwich & Swansea is that they were promoted playing respectable football (the quality of which is massively overrated btw), therefore haven't needed to adapt their style. Stoke, on the other hand, won promotion the ugly way. In an ideal world they would have attempted to progress to a more attractive style, but it's no surprise that they've stuck with what is relatively successful.

They've come a long, long way in the last 3/4 years and probably are stagnating slightly but it's going to take a lot more than what they have spent for the likes of Stoke, us and Everton to break the top 6 now (yes, I'm aware they only finished 13th last season lololol).

Funny thing was it was Sewelly that brought it to my attention when he posted it in here. :lol:

I don't see why the thread would die because they've won three. They weren't bemoaning form at all, they were criticising the players that had been bought (8 of the 24 had actually since left the club) and the fact they had no plan B after set pieces.

On an unrelated note I can see why KD is aggrieved. It was a penalty too, soft fall from Modric but he's definitely kicked.

Guest bimpy474

The second half he...

Wasn't a dive but he definately could have stayed up. Ok put it this way, if diving means you could stay up despite contact then yes it was a dive. Look at Whelan's reaction man, he put his arms up in an apolegetic manner and didnt event contest it. He clipped his leg and didn't get the ball but yes he could have stayed up.

Well even if you played on a Sunday park you would know that was a dive, its a "he won a penalty, he had every right to go down", for me thats total cobblers, it was a dive, you dont fall that way, by the by though tbf, the result was joke with all the decisions that went against you.

The second half he...

Well even if you played on a Sunday park you would know that was a dive, its a "he won a penalty, he had every right to go down", for me thats total cobblers, it was a dive, you dont fall that way, by the by though tbf, the result was joke with all the decisions that went against you.

It was a penalty, but Modric could have had a booking for diving as well tbh.