The other games today - 2011/12

Baggio

As much as an opinion can be 'right'.

Which it can

When it's mine.

Ronny Jnr.

Zidane was better because he carried a nation on his shoulders repeatedly. Although it is a travesty Xavi hasn't won World Player of the Year at least once (even it was a Giggs sentimental style one - even though he pisses on Giggs' chips from a great height)

Just realised Pompey vs Saints is on tomorrow. Will probably watch that instead of the Man U/Liverpool games tbh.

I know there actually wasn't a great deal of excitement today as it turned out, but the disdain with which the BBC covered the games this evening was a joke. 'Big teams weren't playing, so we know you don't care really. Watch tomorrow! That'll be what you want to see.'

Rivaldo was the main reason Brazil won in 2002. He's probably underrated.

Absolutely, here Ill agree with you. My favorite player of all time, was pure class. Was in Japan and SKorea and was just fantastic too experience a World Cup with such a class player at his absolute best.

Felipao will be fuuuuuming. Can imagine him scrambling together his response in anger right now.

Not really. Fuckin hopeless yping with my comp considering i have to copy paste the letter ttttt all the time casue of water spilled on comp.

I believe Zidane to be a level above everyone bar Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and possible Rivaldo (during a month play) that i have experienced live.   

10:30 Barca - Santos

12:00 QPR - Man U

13:00 Portsmouth - Southampton

14:05 Aston Villa - Liverpool

16:10 Man City - Arsenal

20:00 Napoli - Roma

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_BPdwCWy3-18/TJ05dFL9KLI/AAAAAAAACO4/Gsz_3qrwknk/s640/couch-potato.png

Zidane was better because he carried a nation on his shoulders repeatedly.

Brazil in 06 is one example of him doing that, I can't think of many others. His overall performance in that tournament was overstated and he let his nation down in the end. His best tournament was Euro 2000 and he wasn't close to carrying the team like Platini did in 84 or Maradona in 86.

France had one of the best defences in history during his career, not much infront of him in in 98 (Guivarch, Dugarry) but he didn't do much in that tournament until the final, and then Henry and Trezeguet came along.

:cheesy:

What's your problem? Why is it such a ridiculous statement?

Because Zidane was obviously better. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Why was Zidane better? What does he have over Iniesta apart from the mythical 'aura' and hype machine.

Zidane was an elegant player, he was a player who no one could touch. Chosen three times best in the world says everything, IMO.

Twice. One of those for scoring two headers in the world cup final more than anything, the defence contributed far more to that win and he nearly f***ed it up by getting suspended for half of the tournament (as he did 8 years later). Ronaldo for one was a better player that year.

Invalid post since you started by correcting me when I was right and y ou wrong. :pow:

He was also the player for a Juventus who won the league that year, so you double wrong. And who were runnerup in the CL. He was twice runnerup for Juve in CL.

I was thinking of the Ballon D'or.

And I've no doubt he wouldn't of won it if he hadn't scored those goals in the final. Would Cup's are massively overstated in these awards compared to club seasons (Cannavaro 06, Belanov 86, Ronaldo 02 etc)

I was thinking of the Ballon D'or.

And I've no doubt he wouldn't of won it if he hadn't scored those goals in the final. Would Cup's are massively overstated in these awards compared to club seasons (Cannavaro 06, Belanov 86, Ronaldo 02 etc)

Maybe not, but only Ronaldo could challenge him for the 98 award. His final appearance probably gave him the award, rightfully so in my opinion too. Both won it three times, good neough for me.

He's a great player now but he has to do it for much longer. He plays well in the big games, though, and that is something that needs to be mentioned, but Zidane in his prime was something else.

In time, people will begin to form a proper perspective on the Barca 3 and Cristiano. We're too caught up in what they're doing now to be able to compare them with players who have retired. In a few years, I'm sure everyone's opinion will be different. If Real win two or three CLs in a row with Cristiano banging 40+ goals in a season, everyone's opinion of him will have to change drastically. It's too early to judge these players and compare them to past greats.

For what it's worth, Zidane controlled the game in a way that I don't think Iniesta does. Everything Barca does goes through Messi. Everything Real, Juve and France did went through Zidane. That's the comparison that should be made (even if Messi is superior).

I would put Xavi and Zidane on a very similar level, but I don't think it's fair on either player to compare them against each other because they are very different.

Someone said on the last page that if you put Zidane on the pitch for Real then he would look anonymous against the Barca today. Sorry, but you obviously missed Zizou's prime.

I think about it this way: do Barca win all the titles they're winning without Messi? Not a chance. Everything goes through him.

Do they win without Iniesta? It's much tougher, but I think they still win most of the titles that they have won.

Do they win without Xavi? More than without Iniesta but obviously less than without Messi.

Do France win anything without Zizou? No, and the proof is the 2002 WC, and 2006 WC.

And that is if you want to compare them in terms of impact on titles and trophies.

If you look at them in terms of their skill, touch etc., I don't think there's too many people who are comparable to Zidane in the history of football.