The other games today - 2011/12

Baggio

Guest TurboTrev

Hate Martin Tyler.  Hate the Mackems.  However, they were well organised defensively, they showed courage, determination, desire, commitment, work rate and guts.  Everything we didn't show against the bin dippers.

f***ing sick now like. Reckon they'll finish above us this season tbh.

Nope, lucky result...they parked the bus.

There was f*** all lucky about it tbh, tactically it was spot on. They defended deep but they also pressed hard and used their counter attacks well - they had the three best chances of the game!

In our current state of sheer cowardice, we'd have parted our cheeks and bent over, as I fully expect us to do on Wednesday.

Nowt lucky about it....hmm ok.

So a player who is clearly offside scores and it's allowed to stand isn't luck?

Fair enough, that individual moment you could say was lucky but parking the bus and hitting them on the break isn't lucky. It was obvious that they were going to get at least a point at half time.

There was f*** all lucky about it tbh, tactically it was spot on. They defended deep but they also pressed hard and used their counter attacks well - they had the three best chances of the game!

In our current state of sheer cowardice, we'd have parted our cheeks and bent over, as I fully expect us to do on Wednesday.

Nowt lucky about it....hmm ok.

So a player who is clearly offside scores and it's allowed to stand isn't luck?

A lucky goal isn't a lucky result.

Sorry i will rephrase myself, they were lucky to win.

However the way they played was worthy of a 0-0 draw...better?

Fair play to Sunderland for winning, but Wullie, I thought City had very good chances throughout the match with the best of the bunch probably being Silvas shot which Richards then headed on crossbar along with Dzekos crossbar shot.

So yeah, they won, but they were still lucky, just like weve been for many games this season.

Guest BooBoo

Tylers commentary for the goal was akin to his "Collymore closing in!" line. Screaming basically.

He's my favourite commentator but he still manages to get on my tits at times.

There was fuck all lucky about it tbh, tactically it was spot on. They defended deep but they also pressed hard and used their counter attacks well - they had the three best chances of the game!

Is this based on one game against Liverpool then?

Because we didn't turn over against Chelsea, Man City or Man U. And we didn't last year either.

There's no way City are winning the league like.

Got the easiest fixtures by far so i don't see why not. Man U will drop points playing all the big teams away, City have them all at home.

Man U beat Spuds 3-0 with the team in disarray over whether Modric was leaving. They also beat Arsenal 8-2 with half a team of reserves, thanks not least to Barton getting two of their first team suspended. The reverse fixtures will be much more difficult.

Either way, there's still a long way to go.

Absolutely no desire for city players to get back. Toure was about 5 yards away when it first broke and didnt even move towards it. Got the impression the entire match the will to win wasnt there for them, and that break is the perfect example when the mackems were practically 5 on 3

O'Neill is huge step up from Bruce and it shows. Think they'd have been in a relegation battle this season had they not made the switch.

O'Neill is never going to make any team world beaters but he will organise them well and get them up the table. It says volumes that we were 14 points ahead of them but there's probably plenty who are nervous about them closing that gap by the end of the season.

O'Neill is huge step up from Bruce and it shows. Think they'd have been in a relegation battle this season had they not made the switch.

Yep. O'Neill is a good manager, he made some mistakes with Aston Villa but what he did at Celtic was impressive.

Regarding the us vs. them comparison, but for an amazing clearance, we would have pegged Liverpool back to 2-2 after whatever it was, 70min? Liverpool's second came from a free kick after a non-foul. We hardly rolled over for them.

There was fuck all lucky about it tbh, tactically it was spot on. They defended deep but they also pressed hard and used their counter attacks well - they had the three best chances of the game!

Is this based on one game against Liverpool then?

Because we didn't turn over against Chelsea, Man City or Man U. And we didn't last year either.

There was no excuse for giving a weakened Liverpool so much respect. I said in the pre-match thread that I hoped Pardew would drill into the players that Liverpool were there for the taking because I was worried that we would go in without even imagining victory was possible. That's how it turned out in the end.

Regarding the us vs. them comparison, but for an amazing clearance, we would have pegged Liverpool back to 2-2 after whatever it was, 70min? Liverpool's second came from a free kick after a non-foul. We hardly rolled over for them.

Did you actually watch the game? They had one of the worst midfield combinations that Liverpool have put out in years and we didn't try and press them, harry them, try and actually pass the ball between them, we just let them have the ball and do what the hell they wanted with it and every time we got it, we panicked and kicked it long straight back to them.

Did you actually watch the game? They had one of the worst midfield combinations that Liverpool have put out in years and we didn't try and press them, harry them, try and actually pass the ball between them, we just let them have the ball and do what the hell they wanted with it and every time we got it, we panicked and kicked it long straight back to them.

Precisely. Liverpool full backs supported their midfield and pressed us into mistakes and we dropped deep and allowed them to come onto us. Ironically this was a game where we could have played a much higher back line as they don't have much pace in their team other than Bellamy but after getting it wrong against WBA we over-compensated against the wrong team.

Against the top teams that is the game that bucks the trend though, we've played well against Man Utd, City and Chelsea and did pressure them. If we'd played like we did at Old Trafford at Anfield we'd have beaten them.