Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

We were desperate on the left side of defence today. Above all else that was the area that let us down, Graham absolutely bossed Yanga-Mbiwa throughout and the less said about Jonas the better.

• 2 weeks later...
FABRICIO Coloccini’s set to return to training this week – but Newcastle United’s captain won’t be fit to face Liverpool.

The defender has been sidelined since February through injury.

And United manager Alan Pardew is keen to see the influential player – who broke two bones in his back making an acrobatic clearance against Southampton – rejoin the club’s relegation battle.

But Coloccini won’t be ready for Saturday’s Premier League home game against Liverpool.

Instead, the 31-year-old is pencilled in to make his comeback against Sam Allardyce’s West Ham United at Upton Park on April 4.

“Colo will train on Thursday or Friday,” Pardew told the Gazette.

“To have him around will be a boost.”

Asked if the Liverpool came would come too soon for the Argentinian defender, Pardew added: “Yes.”

However, midfielder Cheik Tiote – who missed the weekend’s 1-1 draw with West Bromwich Albion – has a chance of facing Brendan Rodgers’ side at St James’s Park.

Tiote is set to return to training after suffering a minor hamstring problem.

“I think Cheik’s got a really good chance,” said Pardew, who also has left-back Davide Santon sidelined with a hamstring injury.

Midfielder Sylvain Marveaux – who has a groin problem – is being assessed by the club’s medical staff.

Marveaux also sat out the West Brom game.

Meanwhile, a Newcastle United XI, managed by Peter Beardsley, will take on Cambridge United tonight in a friendly at the Abbey Stadium (7.30pm kick-off).

The game – the first meeting between the two teams in 20 years – has been arranged as part of Cambridge’s centenary celebrations.

The Conference Premier outfit are managed by Richard Money, who had a spell as Academy director at Newcastle.

Guest icemanblue

My mate works for BetVictor. Says they had a new registration yesterday from one Fabricio Coloccini, of Jesmond. Used his £25 free bet on us going down. #headsgone

My mate works for BetVictor. Says they had a new registration yesterday from one Fabricio Coloccini, of Jesmond. Used his £25 free bet on us going down. #headsgone

Probably tried to pay with pesos too.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Training ground burnt down or something?

Relaying the pitches, as well as other top secret stuff.

'Everyone is criticising you on social media Alan'

'This is ridiculous, how dare they criticise my captain'

'Er no boss, I said its aimed at you'

'I know, Colo's heart is in it and is up for the fight'

'Ill call the papers'

I saw a lot of it on twitter, maybe he was questioned about criticism from fans  :dontknow:

Seems correct.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-fabricio-coloccini-finished-rumours-1855678

Alan Pardew has hit back at “conspiracy theorists” who fear Fabricio Coloccini won’t play for Newcastle again.

Club skipper Coloccini is still out injured and has hardly figured since threatening to walk out in January because he wanted a move to Argentina for family reasons.

Pardew insists the back problem is genuine and says the defender’s situation has degenerated into “spiral of conspiracies.”

The Geordies will again be without Coloccini against Liverpool on Saturday, as French defender Mapou Yanga Mbiwa insists his team-mates DO have the character and spirit for the battle against relegation.

Coloccini is said to be working back to fitness in the next week or so and Pardew said: “He’s one hundred per cent mentally ready. There’s no doubt in my mind about that.

“I think some of the stuff on the internet and in social media is absolute rubbish. It’s so far off the truth.

“Because of the result we had against Sunderland, in particular, it all seems to have gone into a spiral of conspiracies.

“It is unfair if people are questioning his desire to get back fit. It’s very unfair, in fact, to him as a person. A lot of his problems were around his personal situation and I don’t want to go into any details about that.

“But I do feel that his determination to come back from this injury could not be any greater.

“He’s probably in the best condition he’s been in for a long while. I don’t think there’s any substance in those kind of suggestions at all.”

Coloccini’s future is a major headache for Newcastle.

He wants to go back to San Lorenzo, where his father works, but Newcastle want a transfer fee.

Finding a solution will be a priority when the season ends.

There is a suggestion United may cut their losses and get him off the wage bill while accepting a cut price fee below his £7million valuation.