Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Together with Tiote he's our must important player, without a doubt..He's is the glue which keeps the defense together..If Colo doesn't sign a new contract, we should not sell him  unless we're offered stupid money..We're never going to find a similar player that we can afford anyways.

For a long time Woodgate was the best central defender that I’ve seen at Newcastle.  I always felt confident that we could defend when Woodgate played because although he wasn’t fast, he could read the game perfectly and always managed to get into the right positions to snuff out the opposition and could bring the ball out centrally from the back.  Coloccini is better than Woodgate, he does everything that Woodgate could do but he plays far more games.  Not only that but he pops up on the wing, he did it twice yesterday and he put a brilliant ball into the danger area from the left wing.  Pardew making him captain is the single best thing that Pardew has done since coming here.  Those calling for a new contract now are right, we should extend his contract and keep him here for at least another 4 years because his game doesn’t depend on pace, it depends on what he’s got between his lugs and that shouldn’t diminish with age.

If it takes £80k to tie him up then so be it, he’s worth it in his position as it’s probably the most important position to get right.  Coloccini is almost the complete centre half, he can tackle, he can play the ball, he can read the game, and he calms others around him.  His heading isn’t brilliant but it’s not a weakness either.

I see him name on the team sheet and I'm confident that we can defend a game when we need to.  I can't believe that nobody has come in for him, my guess is that he was slagged off during his first season and people can't see past that.

he's not better than woodgate like, fitter and plays more games but no way he's better imo

He's better because he plays more games.

:thup: I think it'll be a long time until we see a player with just that amount of class that Woodgate had play for us again. But I'd rather Colo than him purely for the stability aspect. Fantastic player, serious man love for him.

How many times did he end up in our attacking plays yesterday? Loved it. :smitten:

he's not better than woodgate like, fitter and plays more games but no way he's better imo

He's better because he plays more games.

100% correct

Coloccini is better than Woodgate, he does everything that Woodgate could do but he plays far more games.

that's not what you said, and i agreed on that point so why you felt the need to counter it i have no idea

woodgate was a superior defender to colo, sorry but he was

overall colo is in front though, agree on that

I would agree that Woodgate when he was fit is the best defender I've seen at the club. Colo's been superb but he still has the odd game where he makes a gaffe. Overall though Colo has been the better player for us by a mile simply in his consistency and monumental fitness record.