Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Ronaldo letting usual bias cloud his Woodgate judgement as well. In fairness he was bang-on all the way through with Colo, but I'm not having anything other than Woody was class barring his fitness. Seeing his name on the teamsheet when we had him here had a very soothing effect. Outstanding player who had a bit of everything during his time here.

:thup: Used to love his reading of the game and his positional sense. Very Hanson-esque, in the fact he rarely had to make a slide tackle as he'd already snuffed out the danger.

Ronaldo letting usual bias cloud his Woodgate judgement as well. In fairness he was bang-on all the way through with Colo, but I'm not having anything other than Woody was class barring his fitness. Seeing his name on the teamsheet when we had him here had a very soothing effect. Outstanding player who had a bit of everything during his time here.

I said Woodgate was very good for us. Where's the bias in that?

As Sewelly mentioned, you do have this habit of trying to rewrite history with your opinions. The "mistakes" thing is a pile of shite, for instance, as Tooj has pointed out.

Agree that Colo is better than Woodgate though. He's as good a defender but his robustness hands him the edge easily.

In regards to Woodgate he was Bramble without the mistakes, obviously he made the rare one like everyone else but if he was a Lampard type for fitness (or Colo actually) he would have seen a ludicrously good defender.

Bramble without the mistakes? What? :lol:

They're completely different players.

I though Bramble would have been immense if he could have cut out the mistakes, Woodgate was just immense. No comparison to style, just their ability/potential ability.

Bramble's never really had a footballing brain, so even though he had the potential to be a very good centre half due to his strength, pace and passing ability. Immense is going a bit ott.

As Sewelly mentioned, you do have this habit of trying to rewrite history with your opinions. The "mistakes" thing is a pile of s****, for instance, as Tooj has pointed out.

Agree that Colo is better than Woodgate though. He's as good a defender but his robustness hands him the edge easily.

Eh? You don't think Woodgate made mistakes?

Dunno if it's just me, but this thread is reminding me of when all the blokes are pissed and knackered at the end of a wedding reception and are just sat hoying opinions at each other around a table while the women folk are off dancing.

As Sewelly mentioned, you do have this habit of trying to rewrite history with your opinions. The "mistakes" thing is a pile of s****, for instance, as Tooj has pointed out.

Well I'm fairly sure he did make a mistake or two, like any defender or any footballer, but certainly not to the point where you could use it as a criticism of him (like people do with Titus).

In regards to Woodgate he was Bramble without the mistakes, obviously he made the rare one like everyone else but if he was a Lampard type for fitness (or Colo actually) he would have seen a ludicrously good defender.

Bramble without the mistakes? What? :lol:

They're completely different players.

I though Bramble would have been immense if he could have cut out the mistakes, Woodgate was just immense. No comparison to style, just their ability/potential ability.

Bramble's never really had a footballing brain, so even though he had the potential to be a very good centre half due to his strength, pace and passing ability. Immense is going a bit ott.

He was quick, strong, could flick the ball out as well as anyone, excellent tackler, good in he air etc..

Just had far too many moments, which as you mention was down to his footballing brain but the abilites mentioned could have made him a briliant defender if it wasn't for the vital shortcoming.

Nunthorpe. :lol:

I barely know where that is.

You've mentioned several times in the past on here about you seeing Woodgate out in Middlesbrough when you were at Uni down there, and acting the big lad. At times I feel it clouds your judgement of him. As you always seem to bring it up whenever somebody mentions him.

Well I'm fairly sure he did make a mistake or two, like any defender or any footballer, but certainly not to the point where you could use it as a criticism of him (like people do with Titus).

Woodgate made mistakes, he wasn't perfect. He was a very good defender for us, no better. Coloccini is a level above.

Dunno if it's just me, but this thread is reminding me of when all the blokes are pissed and knackered at the end of a wedding reception and are just sat hoying opinions at each other around a table while the women folk are off dancing.

Pretty much spot on for me, not a wedding but a trip to the seaside but yeah,you nailed the rest :lol:

I can't believe anybody thinks Woodgate was no better than a very good defender us.

It wasn't his outstanding defensive abilities when he played for us that made him superb, it was also the ability that he had to make others around him look better than they were.

You can say that about anyone though. He'd be good if he had this or that. Its a flawed argument. He had the odd good game but he was often an accident waiting to happen unfortunately.

Shouldnt even be mentioned in the same breath as Colo or Woodgate of whom I believe the latter just shades it.

Nunthorpe. :lol:

I barely know where that is.

You've mentioned several times in the past on here about you seeing Woodgate out in Middlesbrough when you were at Uni down there, and acting the big lad. At times I feel it clouds your judgement of him. As you always seem to bring it up whenever somebody mentions him.

It makes me cringe whenever someone mentions him replacing Terry or Ferdinand.

I wouldn't even say he acted 'the big lad'. He just acted like a complete clown.

Disco's here now. This is definitely the cool table at the wedding. Fuck everyone else.

Coloccini/Woodgate are very difficult to separate ability-wise. Would be like Sophie's choice choosing between them for me, if it was simply a case of who would you pick if they never got injured. Which Colo doesn't, really, to be fair.

Would they work as a partnership, though? A little bit too sweeper-sweeper for me, lacks a bit of aerial power.

I can't believe anybody thinks Woodgate was no better than a very good defender us.

It wasn't his outstanding defensive abilities when he played for us that made him superb, it was also the ability that he had to make others around him look better than they were.

Bud, he played behind a midfield of Solano, Speed, Dyer/Jenas/Viana, Robert. He was rarely under serious pressure.

O'Brien looked OK behind that midfield, even without Woody. We had a fucking incredible team team then. A team that defended from the front, as it should be.

Bud, he played behind a midfield of Solano, Speed, Dyer/Jenas/Viana, Robert. He was rarely under serious pressure.

O'Brien looked OK behind that midfield, even without Woody. We had a fucking incredible team team then. A team that defended from the front, as it should be.

He was class at Leeds though,  even at Middlesbrough in a shite team when he was on the wane and when he actually played for Spurs he still looked the part.

You're not having it, are you?

I know from personal experience that he is an arsehole of the highest order so I wont clap him or anything, wont boo either though in fairness, great player when he was here.

He was brilliant, not disputing it for a second.

What changed your mind?  :troll: