Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Would love to go AWOL on work and just hang out with my family in Tampa. FFS, I deserve that right? For the commitment I give to the company that pays me. They owe me, I mean, I come in to work everyday and work hard. I should absolutely be able to go home when I'm feeling that is what I need.

Comparing real life to footballer's life always produces lovely examples and isn't pointless at all.

It's more pointless defending a captain who couldn't give a fuck about his club or the fans who've stuck by him.

He's injured, that tends to happen to footballers now and then. Unless he's faking it I'm not sure what point there is in linking it to his loyalty.

I'm not questioning the injury. It's just we have a captain not even halfway into his lucrative contract and he'll probably give another 10-15 poor performances then slink off back home for nowt and yet there's still a defence for him on here. It's amazing.

Would be nice if our captain watched our matches at the stadium when injured. I doubt Vincent Kompany spends a month in Belgium when injured if it isn't needed. You can't even get John Terry to not wear a kit when he's not even be picked to play.

It does indicate poor leadership.

It indicates even poorer leadership from the manager then. I'm not privy to what goes on in the dressing room but Pardew sure is. Alex Ferguson used to show players with poor commitment the door, not hand them the captain's armband.

For appearances sake, it would be useful to have him around, but at this point, I am much more concerned with him being in an environment that is conducive to his rehabilitation and eventual return. If there is any indication that Argentina is going to slow the process or is a move to distance himself from NUFC than action should be taken.

To me, the actual "club captain" is not so important. We saw Tiote carry the band well on Saturday and even saw the likes of Williamson come and take authority. It is more vital that there is a culture of leadership and professionalism at the club, which is more tied to the manager, imo.

For appearances sake, it would be useful to have him around, but at this point, I am much more concerned with him being in an environment that is conducive to his rehabilitation and eventual return. If there is any indication that Argentina is going to slow the process or is a move to distance himself from NUFC than action should be taken.

To me, the actual "club captain" is not so important. We saw Tiote carry the band well on Saturday and even saw the likes of Williamson come and take authority. It is more vital that there is a culture of leadership and professionalism at the club, which is more tied to the manager, imo.

I would say that's a sensible outlook on dealing with the Coloccini situation. Not as dramatic as the Captain AWOL accusations but while he's here we might as well get the best out of him, injuries notwithstanding.

Would be nice if our captain watched our matches at the stadium when injured. I doubt Vincent Kompany spends a month in Belgium when injured if it isn't needed. You can't even get John Terry to not wear a kit when he's not even be picked to play.

It does indicate poor leadership.

It indicates even poorer leadership from the manager then. I'm not privy to what goes on in the dressing room but Pardew sure is. Alex Ferguson used to show players with poor commitment the door, not hand them the captain's armband.

True. But Alex Ferguson had full control of the team. Pardew doesn't. Ferguson could sell Stam for 16m and eventually sign his replacement for 30m. If Pardew sold Colo, he doesn't know who if anyone will come in.

I'm not questioning the injury. It's just we have a captain not even halfway into his lucrative contract and he'll probably give another 10-15 poor performances then slink off back home for nowt and yet there's still a defence for him on here. It's amazing.

Makes sense to reserve judgement till that has happened.

It's pretty much a best case scenario.

Would love to go AWOL on work and just hang out with my family in Tampa. FFS, I deserve that right? For the commitment I give to the company that pays me. They owe me, I mean, I come in to work everyday and work hard. I should absolutely be able to go home when I'm feeling that is what I need.

Comparing real life to footballer's life always produces lovely examples and isn't pointless at all.

Pata man, you know I respect you for your NFL love...but give me a fucking breaking dude. Its not pointless at all, read it for what it is. Its absolutely absurd that people justify Colo's actions b/c they rate him and he did so well for us in the past. He's been poor this season, he's our captain and he's off to Argentina the week of the derby. I just can't stand for that. Its not an over the top reaction what so ever, you have a duty to your club and fellow teammates when you are the captain of the club. It further proves he's not the one for the role, esp. all the press talk about is how he's the glue that holds everyone together...so if he is, why the hell is he leaving? We don't know what's going on internally, I'll accept that, but public perception is a hell of an influencer, and he's not here for the most important fixture to most supporters of this club. That speaks volumes man.

Guest icemanblue

Pata man, you know I respect you for your NFL love...but give me a fucking breaking dude. Its not pointless at all, read it for what it is. Its absolutely absurd that people justify Colo's actions b/c they rate him and he did so well for us in the past. He's been poor this season, he's our captain and he's off to Argentina the week of the derby. I just can't stand for that. Its not an over the top reaction what so ever, you have a duty to your club and fellow teammates when you are the captain of the club. It further proves he's not the one for the role, esp. all the press talk about is how he's the glue that holds everyone together...so if he is, why the hell is he leaving? We don't know what's going on internally, I'll accept that, but public perception is a hell of an influencer, and he's not here for the most important fixture to most supporters of this club. That speaks volumes man.

He's injured, mate.

Well said mate.

Pata man, you know I respect you for your NFL love...but give me a f***ing breaking dude. Its not pointless at all, read it for what it is. Its absolutely absurd that people justify Colo's actions b/c they rate him and he did so well for us in the past. He's been poor this season, he's our captain and he's off to Argentina the week of the derby. I just can't stand for that. Its not an over the top reaction what so ever, you have a duty to your club and fellow teammates when you are the captain of the club. It further proves he's not the one for the role, esp. all the press talk about is how he's the glue that holds everyone together...so if he is, why the hell is he leaving? We don't know what's going on internally, I'll accept that, but public perception is a hell of an influencer, and he's not here for the most important fixture to most supporters of this club. That speaks volumes man.

I like you Kanji (:rose:) and felt a bit bad after writing my post. Still I thought your post was totally unnecessary. He didn't go AWOL, he got injured and his family is living on the other side of the planet. Also I hope you don't have to go to work if you are unable to do your job.

Anyway, there are clearly two camps on this issue who are miles apart and I'm trying to stay away from this thread for a while. Hope we win on Sunday even without Colo.