Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

Nah, due to him (and others) being utterly s*** and playing for themselves. We both know we wouldn't have gone down with a proper captain organising the back 4.

From day one, it was obvious that he was not an organiser though so why blame him for not doing it? Some players simply aren't made to be captains. Mind, I don't think it's just the job of a captain on a football pitch to talk and organise mind either! In some sports, captains are crucial but not football for me. If players can't talk to each other / bollock each other / rally each other (something I still do and I imagine several others still do playing at whatever level!) then that's a collective problem and not just down to the captain.

As I said previously, I wish he'd left a few years earlier as a lot of people's memories of him have been well and truly stained. He was absolutely superb for a good three years and without doubt the best footballing centre-half I've seen. It's a shame he wasn't around and played in either Keegan or Sir Bobby's teams as he would have looked even better in those sides.

I'll miss our Colo debates, Ronnie lad  :D (Although I doubt this one has finished yet  :lol:)

Captains are important in every team sport, downplaying the importance of one is definitely belittling the whole team and "locker room" morale that you see discussed and emphasized by good managers and coaches of all sports.

Captains are important in every team sport, downplaying the importance of one is definitely belittling the whole team and "locker room" morale that you see discussed and emphasized by good managers and coaches of all sports.

I said that the role in football isn’t as crucial as it is in other sports - cricket for example.

The blame should be aimed at the club (and that t*** Pardew!) rather than Colo for the total lack of leadership recently – that is what happens when you constantly sign overseas players with the promise that they can use us as a stepping-stone and then move on in a few years which results in awful attitudes as well as zero feelings or passion for the club. Look at how many times we've come from behind to win matches in the past 4 or 5 years (without even taken into consideration the shit manager we had in the dug-out!).

Thankfully, that idiotic transfer policy has been chucked into the bin and we’ll see a huge change going forward!

• 1 year later...

A dream move gone sour: The sad story of Fabricio Coloccini's post-Newcastle United career

A year after leaving Newcastle, Fabricio Coloccini has been told to find a new club - and is available again this summer

It was just a year ago that Fabricio Coloccini – mentally and physically exhausted, so he told Rafa Benitez as Newcastle agreed to part ways amicably – left England to return to the club of his childhood, San Lorenzo.

It was, so he told a packed out press conference, the realisation of dream when he returned to San Lorenzo and signed a three-year contract to end his career playing in front of terraces he had stood on as a boy.

To borrow the parlance of Barcelona, the Argentine outfit are more than a club to those who follow them. Formed in 1908 by a local priest – Lorenzo Massa – as a refuge for local boys after he witnessed one nearly hit by a tram, they have a unique and deep bond with the community that they play for. When Argentina’s military government forced the club to sell their ground to a local supermarket chain, the fans campaigned and fund-raised to secure a new home. Coloccini, and his father Osvaldo, both gave money and time to the cause.

So his return seemed timed to perfection. Benitez wanted to kick-start a new era at Newcastle and Coloccini recognised that he lacked the enthusiasm and energy to lead it from the front. A parting of the ways would refresh his career and give San Lorenzo a talisman.

Yet for Coloccini, the dream has quickly turned into a nightmare. Plagued by the back injury that caused him problems at Newcastle, unable to adapt to the different pace of a new league and without the confidence of his coach, the Argentine played just 12 games last season. For their final game of the season, he was fit but not included in the squad. The signs were ominous and for Newcastle fans, very familiar.

So it came to pass. On Wednesday, manager Diego Aguirre told Coloccini and two other senior players that they would not play for San Lorenzo again and would have to find new clubs.

San Lorenzo’s nickname is the Cylclones. It’s fair to say that the Coloccini decision caused a storm.

First came the official reaction. Club president Matías Lammens said that he had to back the manager’s decision but admitted it was “painful” that a deal he had worked on personally – once while the player was still at Newcastle, under Alan Pardew and with a relegation battle to fight – had not worked out.

“I was hurt by the departure of Coloccini because he is a fan of San Lorenzo. We were also waiting for his return for many years and he made an effort to come back because he had other offers,” Lammens said. Pardew, the manager who once compared him to Bobby Moore, had made a second attempt to get Coloccini to Palace. But the defender took a pay cut to play in Argentina.

Gonzalo Bergessio, a striker, is another of the players to leave San Lorenzo and felt the Coloccini decision lacked “respect”. “It is a lack of respect that they have communicated this message to him in the way they did. He did not deserve it. Coloccini was 20 years in Europe, played in a World cup and is an idol (at San Lorenzo).”

It had been coming. Coloccini’s father Osvaldo – himself a former San Lorenzo player – took to Facebook last month to criticise the coach, saying he had turned San Lorenzo into a “small team” and slating the decision to release experienced players.

There is an air of deja vu here. Coloccini was a sensational player for Newcastle but sullied his legacy in the later years at St James’ Park. The defender felt promises to build the team and show ambition in the transfer market had been reneged on; Newcastle felt he was handsomely rewarded – the best paid player for most of his time at United – and should just get on with it.

When he left, there was an acknowledgement it had come at least a year too late. Now he is looking for a new club, denied the swansong that he had hoped for.

Shoes you just hoe finished he was as a player yet we kept him on.

:thup: Most annoying thing about it. Standard NUFC to persevere with a player well past his best. He finally moves on (the club still probably would've kept him if they had their way ffs) and he gets found out within months and booted out first chance they get. At his boyhood club that idolised him, no less. :lol:

Guest neesy111

:thup: Most annoying thing about it. Standard NUFC to persevere with a player well past his best. He finally moves on (the club still probably would've kept him if they had their way ffs) and he gets found out within months and booted out first chance they get. At his boyhood club that idolised him, no less. :lol:

This is the issue with these stupid long contracts we offer.

It's also a question of missing the boat with some players. Tiote (RIP) springs to mind. At one point we could have got huge money for him but we held onto him well beyond his prime and then found it difficult to give him away.

Hey! We already have a Pardew thread on here!

It's also a question of missing the boat with some players. Tiote (RIP) springs to mind. At one point we could have got huge money for him but we held onto him well beyond his prime and then found it difficult to give him away.

If we sold Tiote when we he was decent and we were getting £20m for him then no doubt our fans would have kicked off. It would have been like the Carroll deal when only in hindsight does it appear to be a good deal. You could easily accuse the club of having no ambition and just existing for making a profit and a stepping stone.

Hey! We already have a Pardew thread on here!

:lol: My bad.

In fairness to Coloccini he did break his back while playing for us.  :lol:

:thup: The carry on did piss me off at the time but I like to write the last couple of years off, remembering/appreciating his good years. I probably give him leeway because he's one of the very few classy CBs we've had in the time that I've been old enough to truly appreciate it.

• 4 years later...
On 15/07/2017 at 18:57, wormy said:

:thup: The carry on did piss me off at the time but I like to write the last couple of years off, remembering/appreciating his good years. I probably give him leeway because he's one of the very few classy CBs we've had in the time that I've been old enough to truly appreciate it.

Think this post sums up my feelings on him as it goes. Hope he has a happy retirement.