On the up, or doomed to failure?

JH
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest BooBoo

This shit about leaders, about having balls football is about talent, its about being able to win matches. I'd rather have 11 Messi's than 11 Nolan's. I think we as a club aren't on the up or down, we'll be here for the next years in the middle of the table. Hefty investment is needed to make us a top team again, but if we want to go down again we'll have to make loads of changes.

Krul, Harper, Simpson, Saylor, Willy, Colo, Enrique, Tiote, Gosling, Cabaye, Marveaux, HBA, Jonas, Ba, and possibly Best and half Ameobi is more than enough to keep us up. The season we went down, people will say we had talented players, but that's different, we had Owen who was on his decline, Butt, Smith and so on. Martins has never been talented and was also around 35 ;).

I think its a mistake by letting Joey go, but not because I consider him being a leader, as an ex-convict surely can't be an example but because he's a talented footballer. However, he should've just got on with it and kept his mouth shut.

We'll stay up, finish around 12-13th. Ashley will keep on doing his making money until he can sell the club.

I don't agree, any team needs a strong leader(s).

Guest BooBoo

I'm yet to see evidence if this ill feeling in the dressing room.

Those of our squad who have a twitter account have expressed their disquiet with the way things are being run.

I'm yet to see evidence if this ill feeling in the dressing room.

Those of our squad who have a twitter account have expressed their disquiet with the way things are being run.

Jose and Barton? They've been unsettled for months, it's barely affected us thus far.

As things stand, we are looking very much at a relegation fight. Anyone who thinks that we'll do better than that, I'd question their sanity.

Why's that then?

Losing our best players, hints of dressing room unrest - a patsy for a manager, a very small squad lacking cover in key areas and a failed promise to reinvest the Carroll cash into the team. That enough for you?

As things stand, we are looking very much at a relegation fight. Anyone who thinks that we'll do better than that, I'd question their sanity.

Why's that then?

Losing our best players, hints of dressing room unrest - a patsy for a manager, a very small squad lacking cover in key areas and a failed promise to reinvest the Carroll cash into the team. That enough for you?

We've lost Nolan and Barton and gained Cabaye, Marveaux and Ba. There's no evidence of dressing room unrest. Our manager did a decent job last term. Yes we're short on numbers but the squad should still have enough to stay clear of the relegation zone. Tears before bedtime?

Why's that then?

We've lost Nolan and Barton and gained Cabaye, Marveaux and Ba. There's no evidence of dressing room unrest. Our manager did a decent job last term. Yes we're short on numbers but the squad should still have enough to stay clear of the relegation zone. Tears before bedtime?

It's always the way with the anti-apologists... ;-)

Guest BooBoo

The Prophet- if you think the dressing room is a happy place then fine, I hope you're right.

However, I think your closing your eyes to the obvious. Routledge supported Enrique's rant, hell even Inman has said he's unhappy this afternoon. You're teetering on the edge of a Comical Ali impersonation.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Why's that then?

We've also lost Carroll and probably Enrique as well.

Wouldn't  Cabaye, Marveaux and Ba be better off coming into a squad with those players in it ?

Guest thenorthumbrian

I think we will perhaps have a rocky start as we are losing players who are trying to rock the boat. In the long run we need to ditch these guys as they are bitter that they can't cash in any more and are going to create strife within the camp. We can definitely recover but it depends on how Ashley and co handle the departures.

We are playing Arsenal and the Mackems - two teams with something to prove from last season against United, if the spirit is lacking in those games it could be a disasterous start.

Newcastle supporters are bi-polar:

Win against Kansas - We are on the up challenging for  Europe

Lose to Leeds - We are in a relegation Battle

Sign Gosling - Bad Move

He does well - Great Move

Sign 4 players in quick succession - challenging for Europe

Dont sign anyone in a while - we are in a relegation battle

Generally win a game - Pardew great manager

Lose a game - Pardew out

This board is getting a bit much now - it only seems to live in the total extremes - nowhere inbetween.

The year we got relegated with our supposed stars - who would have taken a mid table finish then with a club in pretty good shape? Expectations are already that we need to push for Europe? Holy crap that is deluded.

This

Guest thenorthumbrian

Newcastle supporters are bi-polar:

Win against Kansas - We are on the up challenging for  Europe

Lose to Leeds - We are in a relegation Battle

Sign Gosling - Bad Move

He does well - Great Move

Sign 4 players in quick succession - challenging for Europe

Dont sign anyone in a while - we are in a relegation battle

Generally win a game - Pardew great manager

Lose a game - Pardew out

This board is getting a bit much now - it only seems to live in the total extremes - nowhere inbetween.

The year we got relegated with our supposed stars - who would have taken a mid table finish then with a club in pretty good shape? Expectations are already that we need to push for Europe? Holy crap that is deluded.

This

Rubbish, for each fan you will have different opinions.

In 2008/2009, we had a manger resign on September 1st, saw the owner try to sell the club and fail, who then appointed a certifiable lunatic as manager, saw said lunatic nearly keel over and die to be replaced with somebody with no managerial experience whatsoever, who was then subsequently replaced with somebody with no managerial experience whatsoever. After all that, we would have stayed up if a stray ball didn't hit Damien Duff's arse and roll into the net.

It takes a lot to get relegated.

That said, current events do admittedly look like a promising first step for a new chain along those lines :lol:

What a pre-season....

1. Nolan is sold

2. Fans invade pitch

3. 3 players are refused visas to USA

4. Hatem Ben Arfa is out for 2 months with injury

5. Jose Enrique twitter outburst

6. Team loses on an artificial pitch to Orlando

7. Rumours of dressing room discontent

8. Cheik Tiote is not present with visa problems

9. A loss to leeds where various players dont feature

10. Joey Barton incident

Ideal pre-season?

What a pre-season....

1. Nolan is sold

2. Fans invade pitch

3. 3 players are refused visas to USA

4. Hatem Ben Arfa is out for 2 months with injury

5. Jose Enrique twitter outburst

6. Team loses on an artificial pitch to Orlando

7. Rumours of dressing room discontent

8. Cheik Tiote is not present with visa problems

9. A loss to leeds where various players dont feature

10. Joey Barton incident

Ideal pre-season?

At least we didn't spent any money.

For me the biggest concern is we haven't maanged to field our strongest eleven at any point during pre-season, Ben Arfa aside I'd like to think we'll do so over the weekend. While results our a minor part of pre-season, fitness levels and settling into a rythm are, we've little chance to do that. Frankly the US tour was an absolute farce, an ill-thought out diaster.

In terms of quality I think we're about on par at where we were when the last season ended. In all honesty I highly doubt Barton would have been a regular this season. Pardew knows he's on the way out and with Ben Arfa to return I think he'd struggle to get a game. However the squad depth is a concern. Due to a disgusting lack of innvestment yet again we're short up front and on the right in particular. I still think we have more than enough quality to see us into mid-table, but we're settling rather than pushing on.

As for this so dressing room atmosphere we know little to nothing. Jose and Barton have been unsettled for a while and we did alright towads the back end of last season, people seem to have picked up on a couple of unconfirmed media reports and registered it as fact. I think we'll avoid relegation again but its frustrating to know we should be pushing on but instead we're being held back by the tossers running the club.