Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Thought he fitted in with what we'd been told he'd be - good on the ball, but really poor decision making - once he gave the ball to Cabaye (I think) for what was an obvious give and go and then didn't move.

Also seemed to attempt a cross to no one at all from 15 yards inside the Arsenal half out wide on the right.

However he was still better than I expected - really fast, looked to take players on and i thought his first touch looked immaculate.

we didn't really get to see him go one on one with the ball but my god the ground he covered with that sprint to catch sagna sleeping was unreal.

Cnt remember seeing anyone with that much speed in a newcastle shirt before and didnt think he was as quick as that.

Different case when dribbling with the ball of course but if we can pick him out and if he times his runs right he could have a fair few one on one oppotunities with the keeper.

Like Walcott often has against us for example :)

Fast, got the trickery, no pardew, teach him what fergie couldn't, how to use it for the benefit of the team. To a more positive thing, manu fans whom are friends of mine told me he was ripping defences apart all day long for their reserves. So hope its just a confidence thing before he starts doing so regularly in the prem aswell.

Also saw what others have seen before me, how he really didn't know where to go in offensive positions to get the ball.

It's all about getting him to go for it more. He is undoubtedly talented.

He should be told to demand the ball when he is in good positions. Looks a naturally quiet sort, and just waited for things to come his way.

He'll get there though. No doubt.

His work rate/determination is poor like, he lost the ball a few times and strolled about a bit, needed to work harder to get it back. We looked much better with him up front, the minute pards put him on the right wing we went to shit.

Guest CheickMansour

I think Martins might have been faster, at least during his earlier games. He seemed to lose some of his 'explosiveness' later on though.

In any case, a very good performance. I was not expecting much, so I was pleasantly surprised.

that run into their right corner was fucking ludicrous - see what pardew is saying about how that should be a massive advantage away from home if we come under pressure :thup:

I fkn loved that Sanya nearly shit himself, no way did he expoect him to get there

The Shola + Ba combination didnt work but it may against worse opposition than top 4 teams (even in "crisis") but i would prefer to see how Ba links up with Obertan. Whether it would be too many new players integrating at once i dont know, but his pace is a weapon we dont seem to have anywhere else yet.

How quick was he when he chased down Sagna (?) and won the ball back?

I seriously don't think I saw Martins get up to that sort of speed in his time at the club. He could be a very useful weapon this season, also liked his little backheel to Cabaye. Start him off the striker until HBA returns please.

How quick was he when he chased down Sagna (?) and won the ball back?

I seriously don't think I saw Martins get up to that sort of speed in his time at the club. He could be a very useful weapon this season, also liked his little backheel to Cabaye. Start him off the striker until HBA returns please.

Oba was well into his 30's mind...

Him and Marveux on the wings - unleash the pacy b*stards.

Them and Ben Arfa as the 3 in a 4-2-3-1, pace galore!

Plus no help for the defense whatsoever, unfortunately

thats what tiote and cabaye are for

:snod: