Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Always thought he was an intelligent lad, maybe he thinks slightly too much for a footballer TBH. I think that might explain why he's always looking to slow down and beat his man with technique rather than pace.

He's only 22, I still think he has a good chance of making it here.

Feels like he might be one of those players that I feel the need to defend even through poor form, for no apparent reason.

Went through a phase like that with defending Jenas during his average last season.  :idiot2: "Yeah he wasn't that bad, decent game" Even when playing complete dogshit.

I think this lad is gonna shine in europe next year, against less physical sides that arent used to such pace.  DOnt think hes gonna cut it in prem agaisnt top 10 sides, but in cup runs and vs relegation teams, is an excellent squad filler.

Will need another winger in next year if we fighting in the lge and uefa campaigns, preferably one who can cover either wing.  Jonas cant play ever game.

Don't particularly like that comment about knowing he'll be playing no matter what :lol: Even with our injuries, I'd like to think he - in particular, is fighting for his place in the team at the minute. Assuming during our "centre back crisis", we play two bigger lads up front (to help on defensive duty etc), the only real advantage he'll hold over Ben Arfa for starting out wide on the right should be his consistency and work-rate - which he doesn't really have.

Otherwise I'd say Ben Arfa trumps him in just about every department other than 'speed for the sake of speed' - which isn't tremendously useful in and of itself.

Defensively and in terms of tracking back, they're both much of a muchness so there's no clear or substantial edge there IMO. Passing, keeping possession, creativity, execution and vision all go to Mr HBA.

With some difficult fixtures out the way, I'm hoping he won't Routledge on us, and he'll use his pace to better effect against "lesser sides". It's less sophisticated/stylish than what Ben Arfa could/would bring, but from midtable-downwards in the PL, raw athleticism goes a long way if it has some footballing product on the end of it.

Don't particularly like that comment about knowing he'll be playing no matter what :lol: Even with our injuries, I'd like to think he - in particular, is fighting for his place in the team at the minute. Assuming during our "centre back crisis", we play two bigger lads up front (to help on defensive duty etc), the only real advantage he'll hold over Ben Arfa for starting out wide on the right should be his consistency and work-rate - which he doesn't really have.

Otherwise I'd say Ben Arfa trumps him in just about every department other than 'speed for the sake of speed' - which isn't tremendously useful in and of itself.

Defensively and in terms of tracking back, they're both much of a muchness so there's no clear or substantial edge there IMO. Passing, keeping possession, creativity, execution and vision all go to Mr HBA.

With some difficult fixtures out the way, I'm hoping he won't Routledge on us, and he'll use his pace to better effect against "lesser sides". It's less sophisticated/stylish than what Ben Arfa could/would bring, but from midtable-downwards in the PL, raw athleticism goes a long way if it has some footballing product on the end of it.

I think that's the problem though.

I think this lad is gonna shine in europe next year, against less physical sides that arent used to such pace.  DOnt think hes gonna cut it in prem agaisnt top 10 sides, but in cup runs and vs relegation teams, is an excellent squad filler.

Will need another winger in next year if we fighting in the lge and uefa campaigns, preferably one who can cover either wing.  Jonas cant play ever game.

Admire your confidence in our quest for Euro glory  :iamatwat: ,fact remains he really needs to be pushed by our coaches and his confidence boosted to try and take players on .