Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Duff got a hard time here. He was far better than Obertan (not saying much, mind).

I literally can't even imagine Obertan getting a goal.

He is quite partial to a shot tbf to him, strikes it well usually too.

I'll send you 40p once he gets his first goal providing it is within the next 4 games. THAT's how confident I am.

Guest bluegeordie

Duff got a hard time here. He was far better than Obertan (not saying much, mind).

I literally can't even imagine Obertan getting a goal.

He is quite partial to a shot tbf to him, strikes it well usually too.

I'll send you 40p once he gets his first goal providing it is within the next 4 games. THAT's how confident I am.

Or 1,000 Euros, whichever is the greater?

Getting frustrated with the fact that this lad is our starting right winger. I've played with and against probably hundreds of players at Sunday League level who have a better footballing brain than him. Literally the only thing that prevents him being a lower league player is the fact that he can run really fucking fast and has tricky feet, so when he spends the entire game walking around and failing to beat his man when he has the ball, he's basically rendered completely useless. Needs to seriously pull his finger out and start playing to his strengths.

Guest Heneage

He needs some one on one coaching, similar to what the defenders got in terms of positioning and how to react accordingly. He's far from a lost cause as his tidy run in the second half showed. He's clearly fragile mentally so I don't think getting on his back will do anything other than harm.

He needs some one on one coaching, similar to what the defenders got in terms of positioning and how to react accordingly. He's far from a lost cause as his tidy run in the second half showed. He's clearly fragile mentally so I don't think getting on his back will do anything other than harm.

do they really coach defenders one-on-one in terms of positioning ?

sure you can tell each individual where they ought to be but only in the context of a defensive unit.

not surprised tbh.  Possessing a head that size, it must be quite easy to damage.

Guest Heneage

do they really coach defenders one-on-one in terms of positioning ?

sure you can tell each individual where they ought to be but only in the context of a defensive unit.

It's possible yeah. That's why the backline has been so strong.

As for Obertan I think when he's looked confident (Villa away as an example) he's looked very handy. Why people are calling for Routledge I have no idea because he was just as bad if not worse.

As for Obertan I think when he's looked confident (Villa away as an example) he's looked very handy. Why people are calling for Routledge I have no idea because he was just as bad if not worse.

Routledge isn't our player, people aren't calling for him.  They are comparing our current right winger with a player who played in the same position for us recently. I don't see a better player than Routledge in Obertan.

Routledge isn't our player, people aren't calling for him.  They are comparing our current right winger with a player who played in the same position for us recently. I don't see a better player than Routledge in Obertan.

:thup:

Pretty sure Obertan will be on higher wages as well.

Was so infuriating today, everytime he got the ball he looked like he was going to lose it. I wish he'd just use his pace, knock the ball down the line and run yet he insists on bringing it inside and either doing a simple pass back or losing possession.

Really hope he doesn't start against Swansea. If Pardew insists on Ben Arfa not playing on the wing I wouldn't mind seeing Guti being switched over to the right and maybe Ferguson come in for a bit.

No, the really frustrating thing is that on a couple of occasions - and one in particular - today, he showed the ability to go past two or three defenders at a time. He has the ability. Maddening as f*** when you see someone with talent but no application.

No, the really frustrating thing is that on a couple of occasions - and one in particular - today, he showed the ability to go past two or three defenders at a time. He has the ability. Maddening as f*** when you see someone with talent but no application.

Guest Heneage

No but the mood on here is starting to permeate to the terraces.

Your entitled to your opinion, but for me I see more potential in the 22 year old Gabriel Obertan than I do in the 26 year old Routledge.

For a start the latter had 6-7 months in a Championship winning side prior to his time in the Premier League with us, and even then he did hardly anything. The one game he actually looked a threat was based on him going past Ashley Cole once.

Looking at his stats (ESPN Soccernet) Routledge had one assist which was the pass for Ben Arfa's goal. I think games like Stoke showed why Obertan can be helpful.

I also don't believe Routledge makes that run or provides that quality of cross for Ba to score (in reference to the Stoke game).

I'm not sure we're to blame like mate, he's just been crap :lol:

Guest Heneage

I'm not sure we're to blame like mate, he's just been crap :lol:

No no I'm not blaming folk on here.

My point is he needs time, he's not even had half a season of first team football. I still think he's adapting to English football.

Your entitled to your opinion, but for me I see more potential in the 22 year old Gabriel Obertan than I do in the 26 year old Routledge.

For a start the latter had 6-7 months in a Championship winning side prior to his time in the Premier League with us, and even then he did hardly anything. The one game he actually looked a threat was based on him going past Ashley Cole once.

Looking at his stats (ESPN Soccernet) Routledge had one assist which was the pass for Ben Arfa's goal. I think games like Stoke showed why Obertan can be helpful.

I also don't believe Routledge makes that run or provides that quality of cross for Ba to score (in reference to the Stoke game).

I don't see much, if any potential in Obertan.  People keep going on about his pace yet I have hardly seen any of it.  I'm not too bothered about his lack of defending as that is secondary.  I do have a problem with a player who gets the ball in space and waits until somebody gets close before he starts going forward and then he runs into the opposition.

Obertan will not make it here as far as I can see, he's got nothing going for him and if people are getting to him then that's his problem and he's bringing it on himself, not that I've sensed anything at the match.

No no I'm not blaming folk on here.

My point is he needs time, he's not even had half a season of first team football. I still think he's adapting to English football.

How long has he been in English football?