Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Two times in the first half I remember him running towards the Sir John Hall stand, he had Simpson outside him and Tiote back in a central area with space. Both times he just ran into defenders or ran it out of play. He just doesn't see simple things at all, there is no ability to spot the simplest pass and then if he manages that he always fucks up the easy pass. I don't get it, in his head he must either just shit it when he approaches a defender or he just switches off. I don't know if you can change that in some players, Obafemi couldn't be changed, maybe Obertan can't as well

He's probably our most intelligent player off the pitch TBH, he just struggles to use his brain at the right times in games. He doesn't seem a confident person to me, maybe that's his problem.

Clearly nothing to do with the fact he stuggles to correctly make contact with the ball. I wish we'd stop making elaborate excuses for players who simply aren't very good and don't have the talent to surpass that.

Noticed on MoTd the bench went berzerk when we scored our 2nd except for Obertan who sat there with a face like a smacked arse.

He always looks a miserable sod, but there is no way he can be enjoying his football here. 

Considering he's getting loads of stick from the fans in the stands, it's understandable why he'd look miserable atm (plus his form has been shite so a look of personal reflection possibly).

He's probably our most intelligent player off the pitch TBH, he just struggles to use his brain at the right times in games. He doesn't seem a confident person to me, maybe that's his problem.

Clearly nothing to do with the fact he stuggles to correctly make contact with the ball. I wish we'd stop making elaborate excuses for players who simply aren't very good and don't have the talent to surpass that.

I wish we'd stop writing players off after hardly giving them a chance.

He's got plenty of pace and tricks, and he's provided a few deft touches at times...but yeah his shooting is woeful. Vukic's screamer put into perspective how shite Obertan's efforts have been so far this season.

I wish we'd stop writing players off after hardly giving them a chance.

17 appearances already and he's shown next to nothing. Not even a shot on target. If anything, we've given him too much of a chance.

He's done nothing to warrant a place in the first XI.

I think less than half a season of first-team football is far too soon to write the lad off.

Not to write him off completely, but it sure as hell justifies dropping him to the bench.

I think less than half a season of first-team football is far too soon to write the lad off.

Not to write him off completely, but it sure as hell justifies dropping him to the bench.

Dropping him could be the incentive he needs to buck up his ideas. Some one on one coaching would probably do him some good too because as it stands, he is making all the wrong decisions on the pitch.

Definitely not going to write him off completely, like I've said before, I'll give him the full season to prove himself.

yep. not writing him off as such - i'd still want him around as an impact sub which i think he can be effective as, but he simply shouldn't be in the team atm. no way. i'd give him a couple of years to see how he developed over time, as there is some (very) raw talent hidden deep down somewhere, i'm sure of that. even in the past couple of games he's done 2 or 3 good things, but he seems to last about 25 minutes and then he turns to shit - he's clearly more suited to coming off the bench at this point in his career and hasn't shown enough, not here, at man utd, or at bordeaux, to get anywhere near a first XI role.

however if the opportunity came to upgrade him by signing a better player i wouldn't think twice about peddling him.

Would rather have Guthrie (when he's back) on the right than Obertan.

Guthrie on the right doesn't work.

We would at least have someone on the right who'll be able to put a quality ball in from time to time.

Would rather have Guthrie (when he's back) on the right than Obertan.

Guthrie on the right doesn't work.

Obertan on the right doesn't work.

Ben Arfa on the right doesn't work