Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Upgrade on Routledge, they said.

Routledge offers more than Obertan and I now know why my Man U supporting mate sent me a text when we signed him which contained noting more than a load of ha ha's, he was right.

Remind me how many goals did Routledge score for us last season? For that reason alone Obertan is an upgrade.

Using that logic, Kevin Nolan is better than Tiote & Cabaye combined.

Guest ThievingMagpie

Routledge offers more than Obertan and I now know why my Man U supporting mate sent me a text when we signed him which contained noting more than a load of ha ha's, he was right.

Remind me how many goals did Routledge score for us last season? For that reason alone Obertan is an upgrade.

Using that logic, Kevin Nolan is better than Tiote & Cabaye combined.

Different kind of player, playing a different kind of role. Routeledge and Obertan both are wingers playing as wingers.

Nolan was playing in the hole directly behind the striker. Tiote and Cabaye are central midfielders both who both have to track back and win the ball. I'd imagine Cabaye would do a job in Nolan's role but there isn't that role to play in the team anymore since we now have 2 decent strikers who play upfront.

People were certain that he was an upgrade on Routledge whilst having barely seen Obertan play, it really irked me at the time. Obertan is a complete football fraud and it's an utter disgrace that any team paid money for him.

Why do you hate him so much Ali? :lol:

He's just so bad man, Man Utd signed him and Bebe in consecutive summers and they are the two worst players to have ever played the game, nothing was really said because of the club they signed for but they spent over £10m on those two absolute jokers. How do people like this make careers in the game? They can't play football whatsoever.

Obertan is just a speed merchant. Has no footballing brain from what I can tell and very poor technique in terms of first touch, passing ability and crossing. Kind of important for a winger in my eyes.

I disagree, I think the problem is that he thinks too much. He is indecisive at times though, that's true.

At least Routledge had a go when he brought the ball up from the flanks. He may have miscrossed quite a few chances, but Obertan seems to kill next to all of them and takes the sting out of our attack. I certainly know who I'd rather have between the two.

Obertan is just a speed merchant. Has no footballing brain from what I can tell and very poor technique in terms of first touch, passing ability and crossing. Kind of important for a winger in my eyes.

I disagree, I think the problem is that he thinks too much. He is indecisive at times though, that's true.

Ah yeah that kinda makes more sense, it's like he's trying to think of every scenario that could unfold when he's holding the ball up unecessarily :lol: . I think that's kinda what I mean when I say "no footballing brain"

Ah yeah that kinda makes more sense, it's like he's trying to think of every scenario that could unfold when he's holding the ball up unecessarily :lol: . I think that's kinda what I mean when I say "no footballing brain"

The fact it looks like he has several brains in his bulbhead suggests that they often work at once...but on different things. Hence his all too apparent herpderpabilty.

why does this f***ing Routledge debate keep cropping up? they're both s**** man  :lol:

one of them isnt our concern anymore, unfortunately one very much is

The debate crops up because Obertan replaced Routledge, probably for money and he's no better.

Guest Howaythetoon

I'm absolutely staggered that this lad is a Premier League footballer because he is utter shit. I've been debating with myself all wekend whether he is the worst I've seen for us given he cost 2.5m and once played for Man Utd. He is shockingly bad.

I was really, really excited when Marveux got the nod in that Everton match and was looking forward to him kicking on and leaving Obertan on the bench, shame that injury too as I really had high hopes for him this season.  Hopefully he gets back in shape, in form and stays healthy in the off-season and nails down a starting 11 / trade off with HBA in the future. 

I used to say we should use Obertan as an impact sub but he's a bit like Gosling to me, when I see him come on - I assume his impact will be run around, make a few short passes, miss-place a few passes, and then the whistle blows and the game just passed them by.

I was really, really excited when Marveux got the nod in that Everton match and was looking forward to him kicking on and leaving Obertan on the bench

Remember that. It's depressing that the Obertan/HBA situation has gone full circle and we're back in the exact same situation. Ridiculous.

I was really, really excited when Marveux got the nod in that Everton match and was looking forward to him kicking on and leaving Obertan on the bench

Remember that. It's depressing that the Obertan/HBA situation has gone full circle and we're back in the exact same situation. Ridiculous.

Especially when you consider the relative performances of the two.

What did Obertan do to keep himself in the team? Scored a goal on the counter after coming on as a sub. What did Ben Arfa do to keep himself in the team? Numerous assists and goals with much less playing time than Obertan.

What did Obertan do to lose his place? Looked hopeless in almost all his performances this season, with the exception of Blackburn at home and Stoke away. What did Ben Arfa do to lose his place? A bad half against Blackburn and bad game against Brighton when our entire team looked clueless going forward.

They're not being treated fairly, it's rank bad management.