Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

He was different levels of shit today. And when you consider his lack of effort and motivation, he is absolutely indefensible. Thing is, whether you think it's right or wrong - the crowd is on his back now so there is just no point in him being anywhere near the side. It was a completely different match altogether after he went off; the whole crowd breathed a sigh of relief.

On top of that, it's that age old thing about Gutierrez being the 'main' winger, but when he's being double-marked all the time he's not as effective. When Obertan was replaced by Ben Arfa in the RM slot, Gutierrez and Santon had absolutely acres more space and Gutierrez in particular looked much better. Ben Arfa was the one being double marked but the majority of times he managed to skin both players and do something with the ball.

Good point.

Despite a lifetime of waiting patiently for success, it is surprising how quickly we turn on our own players.

History has shown us time and again that some young players can take a whole season of patience before they come good at a new club.

It could be Obertan is another one of these.

Despite a lifetime of waiting patiently for success, it is surprising how quickly we turn on our own players.

History has shown us time and again that some young players can take a whole season of patience before they come good at a new club.

Its partly Pardew's fault for insisting on starting him every game over Ben Arfa.

Its partly Pardew's fault for insisting on starting him every game over Ben Arfa.

He wouldn't be getting anywhere near as much stick as he is if he was second choice, as he rightly should be.

Guest palnese

How on earth did he make as a pro? I'm baffled. Is it his pace? He can't cross. Can't beat a man, even though he's got the pace. Can't shoot. I have no idea.

If Pardew starts Obertan in this, he could as well execute Obertan himself. The crowd will be on his back now more than ever if he fails to deliver yet again, which he almost certainly will. My thoughts. (not that i want to see him either)

Thought I'd repost this:

I won't write him off completely just yet but it does look as if he's still not ready for PL football. I appreciate the fact from the management's point of view that he won't learn about the trade if he doesn't start. But the fact is that he's simply not doing it on the pitch yet and as a consequence should not be an automatic starter.

The lad clearly needs a lot of coaching and I mean a lot! He simply needs to learn how to be an effective winger and how to use his attributes especially his pace effectively. One on one coaching and finding ways to improve his game/approach (be it through DVDs of other players or whatever) could be the best route to go imo. He needs to know what he's doing wrong and how to correct himself. However, so far it looks as if he's not learning anything.

Confidence is also an issue for the lad and that is something you can't really teach. IMO, the best approach, for now, is to use him as an impact player coming from the bench. This will ultimately allow him to run at tiring players which hopefully will result in something positive (an assist/goal). This would do his confidence a lot of good. Great cameo appearances will probably help him feel more confident about life in the PL (and himself) and it should be at this stage when he could think about being an important first team player.

Being out of the firing line will also help him to "recover" from his shot confidence too.