Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Guest neesy111

He was good in the second half. He needs to use that, move on and forget the first half.

Had a mare til about 40 mins or so when he skinned the LB and put a cross in. Seemed to give him the confidence to not look to get rid asap like he was doing earlier. The trick is getting him to do it consistently which sadly hasnt happened in 3 years or so.

That's a good point, he has no consistency to his game at all.  Yes he's had a few decent cameo's and shown the odd glimpse but then he just seems to go into his shell again.

Guest Roger Kint

He was good in the second half. He needs to use that, move on and forget the first half.

Had a mare til about 40 mins or so when he skinned the LB and put a cross in. Seemed to give him the confidence to not look to get rid asap like he was doing earlier. The trick is getting him to do it consistently which sadly hasnt happened in 3 years or so.

That's a good point, he has no consistency to his game at all.  Yes he's had a few decent cameo's and shown the odd glimpse but then he just seems to go into his shell again.

Every game seems to require a spark to bring him out of his shell, we have seen too often what happens when it doesnt come. Shame as he has the pace, height, few tricks to be a good player but with fragile confidence his first touch/pass generally comes across like he is frightened. Some of the passes early last night were shocking, like the kid picked last at school who just doesnt want to see the ball :lol:

I thought he played well last night, one of our better players and i fail to see what the fuss is about Marveux who i thought was pony.

The fuss about Marv is that he's a gifted footballer and can be a very good creative threat in a team that doesn't have a lot of creative players. The more games he get, the more he'll improve and influence them. If he stays fit, he'll be a really important player for us

I thought he played well last night, one of our better players and i fail to see what the fuss is about Marveux who i thought was pony.

The fuss about Marv is that he's a gifted footballer and can be a very good creative threat in a team that doesn't have a lot of creative players. The more games he get, the more he'll improve and influence them. If he stays fit, he'll be a really important player for us

last night i thought Bigiramana came in and played well, took his opportunity to impress.

I thought Amalfatino did the same when he got on and Obertan and Ryan Taylor did likewise.

I thought Gosling looked less fit than me and i thought Marveux was pony and didn't make use of the opportunity given to him to impress.

The less said about Tavernier the better anarl.

Mareaux probably had his mind on other things if his bairn is seriously ill as suggested, fair play for him still to travel and play. Looked excellent in pre-season so unfair to criticise him on one performance

Mareaux probably had his mind on other things if his bairn is seriously ill as suggested, fair play for him still to travel and play. Looked excellent in pre-season so unfair to criticise him on one performance

I just haven't seen anything from him to justify all the hype.

Did you not watch pre-season then?

I thought obertan was absolutely terrible in the first half, couldn't pass the ball 5 yards or trap a bag of sand. As the second half wore on he was less useless and looked more a threat last 15 mins.

Marveaux played bit like it was pre season and hard to judge considering heat was stifling. Judge marv after a few games particularly at home.

Nope.

Guest loven Mag 11

So you've answered your own question then. Dont comment if your talking s*** mate. Hes deserves the hype because hes got that bit of class, that special something to make that pass, to play that cross etc. Hes a damn fine player.

Edit: Am talking about marv not obertan by the way, incase anybody thought i was mental :lol:

So you've answered your own question then. Dont comment if your talking s*** mate. Hes deserves the hype because hes got that bit of class, that special something to make that pass, to play that cross etc. Hes a damn fine player.

Edit: Am talking about marv not obertan by the way, incase anybody thought i was mental :lol:

Pre season friendlies don't count, they're just about getting fit for the season.

Guest loven Mag 11

Of course hes got class man. Its not just preseason. His take down for Cabayes goal against Wigan at St james' last season was absolutely delightful and i can bet my life that if it was Obertan bringing that down he wouldnt of had the skill or intelligence to play Cabaye in. Same for him playing again Forest in the cup last year too, lovely touch to bring the ball out of the air, the touch alone beat 2 players, then whips a cross in for Loven to head home. Hes far from shit, and your a moron if you think otherwise mate.

Of course hes got class man. Its not just preseason. His take down for Cabayes goal against Wigan at St james' last season was absolutely delightful and i can bet my life that if it was Obertan bringing that down he wouldnt of had the skill or intelligence to play Cabaye in. Same for him playing again Forest in the cup last year too, lovely touch to bring the ball out of the air, the touch alone beat 2 players, then whips a cross in for Loven to head home. Hes far from shit, and your a moron if you think otherwise mate.

neve said he was shit, just haven't seen what the fuss is about.

Guest loven Mag 11

well go watch some highlights of those games, then come back, and tell me if obertan could do either, or jonas for that matter.

It seems Pards has tried to play Obertan as much as possible at times in order to boost his confidence I think this may be counter productive (I would've played him last night for a full 90 fwiw). I think he is more likely to develop the confidence he needs if he is limited to cameo roles for a while in games we are winning (preferably at home). I think if he was running at tired players with a crowd roaring him on he would start to gain confidence.

Would also have the added bonus of someone who could carry the ball from defence to the opposition half with relative ease. In the first half yesterday he was making mistakes that a professional footballer shouldn't make. Its just a case of trying to sort his head out.

By no means am I saying he's a world beater or that he ever will be. But I do feel he can do a useful job for us and if able to sort his head out he would be a worthwhile improvement on Routledge.

It seems Pards has tried to play Obertan as much as possible at times in order to boost his confidence I think this may be counter productive (I would've played him last night for a full 90 fwiw). I think he is more likely to develop the confidence he needs if he is limited to cameo roles for a while in games we are winning (preferably at home). I think if he was running at tired players with a crowd roaring him on he would start to gain confidence.

Would also have the added bonus of someone who could carry the ball from defence to the opposition half with relative ease. In the first half yesterday he was making mistakes that a professional footballer shouldn't make. Its just a case of trying to sort his head out.

By no means am I saying he's a world beater or that he ever will be. But I do feel he can do a useful job for us and if able to sort his head out he would be a worthwhile improvement on Routledge.

Good observation. I understand why Pardew thinks he should support Obertan by playing him, but it might end up being to his detriment if the fans get on his back whenever he puts a foot wrong.

you're joking, right?

Honestly, the only times I've seen him impress were:

- When he was brought on as a sub.

- When we play him centrally behind the strikers.

I know he's a winger, but for someone with his pace and touch, it's annoying how he can't beat his man at times. I think it's a lack of confidence and determination to get past the hurdles in his way that's been the problem, really. He'd rather dribble his way backwards when blockaded, and it is from this position that he fails to deliver a good cross or he loses out.

Because of this, I agree on what people here have been saying about Pards playing him to get his confidence up. However, if it's just the same old story time and time again, surely a change in how to use him would be better? He's not a bad impact sub imo, and he'll be more influential if he has the pace to run past tiring legs. As a second striker, he has the pace and height to worry, and he's got a decent shot. Surely a breather from the wing role and a venture into something that allows him to take people on more efficiently or score more goals would be a better confidence boost.