Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Hopefully it gives him confidence into the season.

How long are folk gonna keep saying that though? How do you give confidence to a grown man who plays football like a shit scred four year old?

He improved in the second, but he's horrible in so many ways. Not even worth discussing his weaknesses in detail. Should either be sold to the first bidder or ONLY be used as an impact substitute against s**** teams playing a very high line.

Can't even play it simple, only time i could see any use for him is as a 89th minute substitute, the ball breaks to him on the halfway line, he runs fast past people too tired to tackle him and scores past a keeper too tired to save.

Played well in the second half, much more aggressive.

In no way did he play well in the second half. He was just less terrible than in the first half.His crossing is terrible, I keep hearing that he's allegedly super skillful but he only ever runs in a straight line and is incapable of completing anything but the simplest pass.

In no way did he play well in the second half.

He set up two of the best three chances we had in the second half. I think he's shit, but he looked much improved in the second half. He kept the ball better.

In no way did he play well in the second half. He was just less terrible than in the first half.His crossing is terrible, I keep hearing that he's allegedly super skillful but he only ever runs in a straight line and is incapable of completing anything but the simplest pass.

I'm pretty sure he created our 2 best chances with his 'terrible' crossing...

I don't rate him but he had a good second half, ran at opposition and created some dangerous situations.

Alright, I've had several beers and the wife spent the entire match trying to talk to me about shoes, but from the little I can coherently recall the crosses he put in were s***, but their sunday league defence flapped all over the place and the ball dropped kindly.

Against any team with even the merest semblance of competence, his crosses would have yielded nothing apart from jeers. Let's not praise him too highly for what were effectively a couple of floated, lofted chips that broke loose in the box.

(I reserve the right to retract the above opinion in the light of any evidence that I wasn't paying proper attention due to excess beer / shoe related discussions. It's been a long day.)

Good on the counter, never backs himself for some reason.  He should just use his pace to commit the full back, then burn past him.  Especially against a team like Atromitos.  He is lightening quick when he opens up, just never seems to have the confidence to do so.  Waste

Guest bimpy474

Giving him the credit he deserves, play well second half and was our most dangerous player.

Bigi, Anita and Perch were the stand outs overall.

Did well the second half, but every time he cuts inside he runs into trouble and cant see a pass to get out of it unless its behind him. I imagine left-backs feel pretty comfortable when they see they're up against him

Alright, I've had several beers and the wife spent the entire match trying to talk to me about shoes, but from the little I can coherently recall the crosses he put in were s***, but their sunday league defence flapped all over the place and the ball dropped kindly.

Against any team with even the merest semblance of competence, his crosses would have yielded nothing apart from jeers. Let's not praise him too highly for what were effectively a couple of floated, lofted chips that broke loose in the box.

(I reserve the right to retract the above opinion in the light of any evidence that I wasn't paying proper attention due to excess beer / shoe related discussions. It's been a long day.)

His crosses were fairly decent in my opinion but I was more impressed that he actually chose to take on his man more than anything. He was finally knocking it past and using that speed and if we can harness it, it will be an incredibly useful tool. The lad's not a bad footballer in terms of technique and ability but he's lacking in other areas, I hope tonight is a turning point for him. He's not good enough to be a league starter for us, that's for sure but as a sub and cup starter he could be very handy indeed.

Still struggling to see why we even bought him.  He'd done nothing with Man Utd and continued doing nothing here.  Reading back the first page of this thread tells you how low expectations were of him and he hasn't even managed to surpass those.

Definately the worst signing of AP's time here. 

Aye, feel awful for the bloke if its true about people giving him shit after the match but by God, he's utter dog shit like. First half last night, he couldnt even make a couple of 5 yard passes.

Obertan looks like he's mismanaged tbf. He obviously can beat alot of players with technique and pace purely, but isn't encouraged enough to do so. If he was yelled at to have a go every time he got the ball he would have tried more, if he tried more he would succed more and it would've snowballed, that I am pretty certain about.

Yep, his problems are definitely psychological IMO, which is why the fans getting on his back is so counterproductive. He's a bit like a young Shola in that respect - not naturally aggressive and prone to self doubt.

FWIW I hope he can turn things round as the Europa League progresses, maybe spurred on by his second half performance. If any manager can get the best out of him, it's Pards.

I think he might be better on the left. Would give a RB more to think about.

When he plays RW, he's either going look to go forward, have a change of heart and end up doing nothing. Or, he'll cut inside still keep the ball on his right foot and pass it straight into traffic.

On the left, the RB will be wary of him having the pace to go along the line but also worried he'll cut inside onto his stronger foot.

Don't think him switching to the left will solve his 'problems' but i think he might offer more than he does currently.

Guest neesy111

Obertan has much bigger issues than his mind.

His first touch is poor, his crossing even not under pressure is woeful and his tracking back is pretty bad as well.  His only real attribute is pace, rest of his game is that of an average championship winger.

He's been in England 3+ years now and looks like he hasn't improved under 2 good managers (Fergie and Pardew).  He just needs to graft down, put in the extra hours after training to make sure he starts improving.

Guest Roger Kint

He was good in the second half. He needs to use that, move on and forget the first half.

Had a mare til about 40 mins or so when he skinned the LB and put a cross in. Seemed to give him the confidence to not look to get rid asap like he was doing earlier. The trick is getting him to do it consistently which sadly hasnt happened in 3 years or so.

I think he might be better on the left. Would give a RB more to think about.

When he plays RW, he's either going look to go forward, have a change of heart and end up doing nothing. Or, he'll cut inside still keep the ball on his right foot and pass it straight into traffic.

On the left, the RB will be wary of him having the pace to go along the line but also worried he'll cut inside onto his stronger foot.

Don't think him switching to the left will solve his 'problems' but i think he might offer more than he does currently.

I'd go along with that.  I've said for a while now I think his best position could be wide left of a front three.  He could cause problems more by mistake than design.  As you mention, just his pace going infield could potenitally cause a full back to panic and he could maybe even mix it up and go on the outside.

I still think his biggest problem is his decision making.  His touch isn't too bad, he has the odd bit of skill and he normally works quite hard.  Just seems really isolated and confused when stuck out in the wide right position.