Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

Was nowhere near our worst player yesterday. Don't let that get in the way of a good slagging though..

Irrelevant, people are giving opinions on his form at the club so far.

I know, but I don't see how current form is irrelevant. He's shown more so far in the few chances he's had This season than some of the players people are clamouring for getting the chances he's had, i.e. the likes of Sammy, Vuckic, Marveaux.

Was nowhere near our worst player yesterday. Don't let that get in the way of a good slagging though..

I know, but I don't see how current form is irrelevant. He's shown more so far in the few chances he's had This season than some of the players people are clamouring for getting the chances he's had, i.e. the likes of Sammy, Vuckic, Marveaux.

I'm not sure what you're on about here like. His 'current form' is trash, same as his form since he's been here. He offers nothing but slowing the game down, making wrong decisions and failing to get a decent cross in on the odd occasion that he does manage to get past a full back. Shane Ferguson came on and did in 30 seconds what Obertan couldnt do for 90 minutes.

Saying he's shown more this season than those three doesn't carry much weight at all imo, Sammy's barely played, Vuckic plays in a different position and Marveaux's had one shit 45 and very little else in the league. Above all that it's not just recent form that we've got to go on with Obertan, he's looked fucking hopeless from day one with 1 or 2 exceptions to the rule.

please stop compairing him to others....doesnt make him better. He played a lot of matches for us last season without producing anything. If our aim is top 4 then obertan needs to go down the picking order. He shouldnt even be on the bench for important matches.

frustrating thing is he doesnt even know how to make advantage of his speed....coz everytime he comes near the box (or facing an opponent) he stops up!

could he just be like rommedahl for example. Not a great player....but his speed is his main weapon and he knows how to cross. Obertan could be like that imo.

should focus training on:

-timing his runs down the flank

- knocking the ball past defenders (no dribbling)

- crossing

- NEVER STOP UP WHEN FACING AN OPPONENT.

If Pardew cant see this he is a fool. Obertan is not first choice, but if he got the right training and a loan im sure he could improve. Get some confidence in another league.

I thought he looked a bit more determined last night. He had some good moments in the first half, to be fair.

His limitations were still apparent. He reminds me a bit of Nani. They both seem to be trying to impersonate a different player rather than making best use of what they've got.

I'm not sure what you're on about here like. His 'current form' is trash, same as his form since he's been here. He offers nothing but slowing the game down, making wrong decisions and failing to get a decent cross in on the odd occasion that he does manage to get past a full back. Shane Ferguson came on and did in 30 seconds what Obertan couldnt do for 90 minutes.

Saying he's shown more this season than those three doesn't carry much weight at all imo, Sammy's barely played, Vuckic plays in a different position and Marveaux's had one s*** 45 and very little else in the league. Above all that it's not just recent form that we've got to go on with Obertan, he's looked f***ing hopeless from day one with 1 or 2 exceptions to the rule.

this. im normally not that hard on our players (i think) but this has to stop. fair enough if pardew seems him as 3rd choice or something, but if our goal is to finish in top 4, he must go.

Can´t think of others clubs at our level where you would get so many chances. If only you could see a small improvement from game to game....personally i can´t any from his first game for us until now?

So frustrating, as I genuinely think he has the tools to be a good player.  Just lacks a brain, bottle and confidence, always seems to make the wrong decision.  Obertan's games seem to always go like this:

Gets up to full speed, then stops when he gets to the full back.  Looks to go inside where there is acres of space, then tries to go down the outside. Runs into his man or half beats him with a few nice stepovers, gets a throw or a corner if he's lucky, more often than not picks out the first man with a pathetic 5-10 yard pass/cross.  Rinse and repeat.

I agree that he is frustrating to watch sometimes as he basically got the tools to succeed. Still I wouldn´t sell him as he offers qualities that no others do with his running.

But like Shola he should play a maximum of 10-20 minutes a game.

So frustrating, as I genuinely think he has the tools to be a good player.  Just lacks a brain, bottle and confidence, always seems to make the wrong decision.  Obertan's games seem to always go like this:

Gets up to full speed, then stops when he gets to the full back.  Looks to go inside where there is acres of space, then tries to go down the outside. Runs into his man or half beats him with a few nice stepovers, gets a throw or a corner if he's lucky, more often than not picks out the first man with a pathetic 5-10 yard pass/cross.  Rinse and repeat.

Dont jump on me for saying this ,but isnt that what Jonas has been like in his worse games for us? He has changed his game the past 2 years, and he added an end product too, but early on especially in the relegation season near the end, i swear this was written about him (the bold bit especially!)  :laugh:

Dont jump on me for saying this ,but isnt that what Jonas has been like in his worse games for us? He has changed his game the past 2 years, and he added an end product too, but early on especially in the relegation season near the end, i swear this was written about him (the bold bit especially!)  :laugh:

That´s the point. Almost everyone complains whatever he does when we have tons of other players that isn´t exactly setting the world on fire.

There's no comparison to be made with Jonas at all. Jonas has consistently shown football nous that is way beyond anything Obertan is capable of for starters.

Compare Obertan with Solano. It might not sound a fair comparison but what I mean is that they are polar opposites in terms of football intelligence, technique, natural athleticism, end product, etc. One was a proper footballer, the other one isn't. You can't turn a player like that around imo. A degree of football intelligence should be a given, a foundation on which to build everything else.

We need to let him go, I don't like saying that because he's been no hassle off the pitch and is probably a canny lad but any time he spends on the pitch is time wasted.

That´s the point. Almost everyone complains whatever he does when we have tons of other players that isn´t exactly setting the world on fire.

So what? What you're proposing is a never ending circular deflection of blame which results in nothing getting done and the squad not improving. He's not good enough man.

He cannot pick out a man with a cross. . .  which is extremely ineffective.

Definite potential still, but he needs to improve that important facet of his game and then he could be a player.

The most frustrating part about him to me is his crossing, he plays the ball in for accuracy but because he dinks them so lightly no matter how accurate they are the defender/keeper always has more than enough time to react and deal with it.

For once if here were just to smash it across the box I'm convinced he'd be a hell of a lot more of a threat than he is right now.

Guest bimpy474

He is no use whatsoever, he is a winger who can't cross a ball. One of the key attributes he needs to play as a winger he simply can't do. Franz Carr crossing was world class compared to Obertan's.

I thought he looked a bit more determined last night. He had some good moments in the first half, to be fair.

His limitations were still apparent. He reminds me a bit of Nani. They both seem to be trying to impersonate a different player rather than making best use of what they've got.

:thup:

he is the french theo wallcott, which might be very harsh on theo.

what the boy needs to do is, learn some composure,  when he gets near the byline , look up, see whats around you, whats happening inside the box.

most of the time he crosses the ball without even looking. 

no composure, basically he gets too excited and blows his load whenever he's near the byline.

maybe he will improve with age.

he is the french theo wallcott, which might be very harsh on theo.

what the boy needs to do is, learn some composure,  when he gets near the byline , look up, see whats around you, whats happening inside the box.

most of the time he crosses the ball without even looking. 

no composure, basically he gets too excited and blows his load whenever he's near the byline.

maybe he will improve with age.

That is extremely harsh on Theo, he scores and creates a decent amount of goals

Walcott is effective as one dimensional as he maybe he is effective, as is Lennon etc etc..... Obertan with all his pace is not effective.

As for the Jonas comparison, while it's true Jonas doesnt have much end product but Jonas makes up for this by having stellar work rate, versatility, positional sense and so many other things from a defensive point of view which makes him invaluable.