Gabriel Obertan signs for Anzhi

Optimistic Nut

It was his best game for us. That's the Obertan I would like to see more of.

My theory is he's better on the left because he actually has to think about his options when he's running down that flank as a right footed player, whereas on the safe, right hand side of the pitch he just switches off and is your standard Obertan.

A decent theory and one which actually makes sense imo. Obertan does like cutting inside and doing his stepovers and all that - he can put that to of more good use on the left rather than the right.

Guest firetotheworks

Someone needs to get him angry imo. Just grab him and say 'here man, in 15 years time do you really want to think about the player you could have been? Or do you want to go out there NOW and be that player!?'

• 3 weeks later...

His best match for us so far in my opinion. Is he turning the corner?

I really hope so. He was quiet at times but actually used his attributes which is a rarity. He really needs it drummed into him that he has the potential to do much more than he normally does.

IMO, its because there is less pressure and poorer opposition at this stage of the Europa. He'll have to prove himself in the Premier League before you can say he has turned a corner.

Had a great game though. It would be great option if he could do it in the PL.

Anyone can score a goal, so welcome though that is it shouldn't be the defining factor in "having a good game", but I really thought he played very well tonight.

We've seen his raw place enough in the past to know that's there, but he showed some real skill as well at times in getting past his man tonight. I thought he, Ferguson and Sameobi were excellent tonight.

:thup:

Anyone can score a goal, so welcome though that is it shouldn't be the defining factor in "having a good game", but I really thought he played very well tonight.

We've seen his raw place enough in the past to know that's there, but he showed some real skill as well at times in getting past his man tonight. I thought he, Ferguson and Sameobi were excellent tonight.

:thup:

Does he live in an alien stomach?

Dead similar to his other goal in an NUFC shirt funnily enough :thup:

Scoring and being MOTM at St. James must be a great confidence booster for the lad though. I think the European games suit him a bit more, just like they do with Shola.

I don't want to get back into the "omg it's all the fans' fault!" stuff but the atmosphere and general vibe of these European games is very different (both on and off the pitch) to the vibe in league games. They're nearer to friendlies in that regard and it suits him very well.

He does things in these games he doesn't do in the league and that definitely holds him back in bigger matches.

Much more direct approach this season. Uses his pace, gets some sort of cross in and has now got a goal as well. Bodes well. With his pace and technique he should be a useful player. Hopefully he'll be rewarded now with some game time in the premiership.

Seen enough moments to know he can be better overall than what he's been so far. He needs to be bold and be confident in his skills, because when he does apply them and it comes off he can leave people for dead. Then comes the next part, which is sticking in a good cross or shot. His shooting seems better than his crossing though.

I kind of wrote him off a bit, but last night was a good reminder that he does have something to offer and at 23 there is room to improve.

gained some weight, right? looks stronger and still very fast.

i have been very hard on him, but he is doing well in the european matches. In the PL he should still be on the bench as he isn´t good enough....stil prefer ferguson over him on the LW....if changes are made.

He is a very good option to have on the bench...especially late on in the game.

keep it up, son...i might have to eat my own words.

WTF was going on with him and Fergie last night towards the end of the game, just about when Cabaye came on.  They seemed to be arguing about who was playing on the LW.

Looked like Fergie told him to go RW and he just didn't.