L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

Seems very peculiar that he's failed a medical given the ones we've signed recently, and I seriously doubt it's a case of "learning from mistakes" as only Marveaux has arguably been a mistake in that regard so far. I'd hazard a guess that we've changed our priorities from a striker to a defender, that money is only realistically available for one or the other, and that the failed medical is an easy way to cancel the transfer without the club pissing too many people off.

Might be cynical but hey ho...

As someone has said earlier the other medicals that provided risks were free transfers, this is £7m or so......if this is the reason of course.

yup, big difference between taking a punt on a free being okay like we did we Marveaux Ba and Gosling but £7m, most sane clubs would at least think twice

Guest bimpy474

Wonder if this is just a way of getting the price down even more. Can't imagine Sochaux are too excited about the prospect of bringing him back into the fold. :lol:

This is certainly a Ashley like tactic.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Wonder if this is just a way of getting the price down even more. Can't imagine Sochaux are too excited about the prospect of bringing him back into the fold. :lol:

That would be fucking crazy.

Likely, then.

Guest bimpy474

Seems very peculiar that he's failed a medical given the ones we've signed recently, and I seriously doubt it's a case of "learning from mistakes" as only Marveaux has arguably been a mistake in that regard so far. I'd hazard a guess that we've changed our priorities from a striker to a defender, that money is only realistically available for one or the other, and that the failed medical is an easy way to cancel the transfer without the club pissing too many people off.

Might be cynical but hey ho...

As someone has said earlier the other medicals that provided risks were free transfers, this is £7m or so......if this is the reason of course.

yup, big difference between taking a punt on a free being okay like we did we Marveaux Ba and Gosling but £7m, most sane clubs would at least think twice

He definitely wont part with money unless he's sure old Fatty, but tbf most sane clubs would think twice if a medical has been failed, like you said ;)

Can't blame the club for the bloke failing a medical and you will never get me to believe we staged the whole thing ffs :lol:

What we can blame the club on is the failure in January, the summer and again if we fail to sign a striker at the end of next January.

I've always just had a funny feeling about this guy for some reason, have never been that keen even though I've seen very little of him.

Agree that this will probably put the striker search on the back burner for another 6 months.  If not then it'd be nice to sign one not at the ACoN.

Guest Heneage

I can see a move for Giroud now.

He's started all but one game and is the league's top scorer for the league's top team so far. Can't see how he'd be within our 'budget'.

Montpellier are not a rich club by any stretch. They've had the same owner since the 70's, and because of that just have very little backing.

I could see us putting in an 8m bid and it being accepted.

He's started all but one game and is the league's top scorer for the league's top team so far. Can't see how he'd be within our 'budget'.

Montpellier are not a rich club by any stretch. They've had the same owner since the 70's, and because of that just have very little backing.

That would be exceptionally stupid of them.

PS: we're not a rich club either. We'll not pay more than £7m IMO.

Why not? He's been playing since he went on strike anyway.

Guest Heneage

You make it sound like they have a choice.

January is the time when prices go up. If they wait till the summer his price could just as easily go down as it could go up.

I'm not saying the bid will be successful, but I can see one coming. I think Giroud has more potential than Maiga so the club would be willing to invest more in him. In part due to the fact there's a higher threshold of return.

Obviously Luuk De Jong is the other option.

Was that not simply a case of needs must? Bit different when you're 99% sure he's going to be someone else's problem in a few months, and you have a price agreed etc. From what I remember he acted like a bit of a prick.

You make it sound like they have a choice.

January is the time when prices go up. If they wait till the summer his price could just as easily go down as it could go up.

I'm not saying the bid will be successful, but I can see one coming. I think Giroud has more potential than Maiga so the club would be willing to invest more in him. In part due to the fact there's a higher threshold of return.

Obviously Luuk De Jong is the other option.

Okay then, if we have a bid accepted of £8m I can easily see other clubs being interested and offering more. French clubs for example. It's hardly a big transfer these days, we'd be out of the bidding immediately.

Was that not simply a case of needs must? Bit different when you're 99% sure he's going to be someone else's problem in a few months, and you have a price agreed etc. From what I remember he acted like a bit of a prick.

Could well be and aye he did. Any player who goes on strike needs to having a fucking look at themselves. Cunts to a man (unless the club are witholding their wage)