L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

Not saddened at all by this news personally. I'm happy enough with our strikeforce and would much sooner see money invested in the squad elsewhere first.

Or more likely, not at all :shifty:

[/ashley]

Or he failed, then went to a professor to prove his fitness.

That's how I read it.

Anyway:

@MsiDouglas Mark Douglas

Surprised about the Maiga medical: his agent admitted he had the 'usual strains & pulls' the other day but insisted he'd pass it. #nufc

52 seconds ago

@MsiDouglas Mark Douglas

Mad Sunday Sun scramble to find out where Toon go from here. My understanding is the other targets are considerably more expensive #nufc

2 minutes ago

:pilko:

@MsiDouglas Mark Douglas

#nufc have put months of work into it so this is a blow - but contingency plans in place. They won't be left high & dry

39 seconds ago

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/7386671/Maiga-shock-at-move-collapse

Maiga shock at move collapse

Sochaux star disappointed deal has fallen through

By Giscard Gourizro.  Last Updated: December 19, 2011 10:35am

Sochaux star Modibo Maiga admits he is disappointed and shocked that his move to Newcastle has fallen through.

Newcastle were all set to finalise a deal for Maiga and wanted the move done ahead of the transfer window opening in January.

However, the deal has now fallen through after Newcastle officials picked out an issue with his knee during medical tests last week.

Despite Newcastle's concerns, the Mali international returned to Sochaux to play 90 minutes for them at the weekend.

Maiga admits he is disappointed to see the move fall through, but maintains his dream of the playing in the Premier League.

"I am mentally fine, I wanted that move to Newcastle badly," he told skysports.com.

"However, it did not happen as they said my knee has a problem - but I feel better than anything."

Maiga pointed to current Newcastle player Demba Ba, who went on to find success in England after failing a medical at Stoke City.

He added: "There is a player at Newcastle now [Demba Ba], he was told at a Premier League medical that he had a knee problem, he then went to another and started scoring goals before his move to Newcastle.

"But I am strong in my head and up for it, I like Sochaux, but I am having a difficult time with the fans, they do not understand me.

"I love the Premier League and I want to play there, hopefully I will have another chance, my health is very good and my knees are strong."

Sochaux

Sochaux coach Mecha Bazdarevic spoke about Maiga after the weekend's defeat against Bordeaux.

Indeed Bazdarevic seemed just as upset the move did not happen, saying: "Is Modibo disturbed? He has been disturbed for two-and-half months and there is nothing new.

"The situation is very difficult for everyone. I have no choices in attack so far, but I hope to make some in the close future."