L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

I can see a move for Giroud now.

He's started all but one game and is the league's top scorer for the league's top team so far. Can't see how he'd be within our 'budget'.

Montpellier are not a rich club by any stretch. They've had the same owner since the 70's, and because of that just have very little backing.

I could see us putting in an 8m bid and it being accepted.

That would be exceptionally stupid of them.

PS: we're not a rich club either. We'll not pay more than £7m IMO.

You make it sound like they have a choice.

January is the time when prices go up. If they wait till the summer his price could just as easily go down as it could go up.

I'm not saying the bid will be successful, but I can see one coming. I think Giroud has more potential than Maiga so the club would be willing to invest more in him. In part due to the fact there's a higher threshold of return.

Obviously Luuk De Jong is the other option.

Okay then, if we have a bid accepted of £8m I can easily see other clubs being interested and offering more. French clubs for example. It's hardly a big transfer these days, we'd be out of the bidding immediately.

Montpellier would be mad not to wait until the end of the season IMO. Assuming their not in mad debt and must sell to keep the debtors at bay.

His stock is very unlikely to drop given that he might be in the Euros in the summer and they've a great shout of qualifying for the CL which will be worth more to them than any likely fee they'll receive in Jan.

Guest bimpy474

Wonder if this is just a way of getting the price down even more. Can't imagine Sochaux are too excited about the prospect of bringing him back into the fold. :lol:

Why not? He's been playing since he went on strike anyway.

Was that not simply a case of needs must? Bit different when you're 99% sure he's going to be someone else's problem in a few months, and you have a price agreed etc. From what I remember he acted like a bit of a prick.

Could well be and aye he did. Any player who goes on strike needs to having a fucking look at themselves. Cunts to a man (unless the club are witholding their wage)

Ba did it too Hoffenheim because he wanted to come to England didn't he ?

Wonder if this is just a way of getting the price down even more. Can't imagine Sochaux are too excited about the prospect of bringing him back into the fold. :lol:

Was that not simply a case of needs must? Bit different when you're 99% sure he's going to be someone else's problem in a few months, and you have a price agreed etc. From what I remember he acted like a bit of a prick.

Could well be and aye he did. Any player who goes on strike needs to having a fucking look at themselves. Cunts to a man (unless the club are witholding their wage)

Aye I think so.

Guest bimpy474

Aye I think so.

The modern footballer i suppose, all tantrums and ego.

Guest bimpy474

Carlton Cole it is then

Immediate and justified lengthy ban surely :D

I'd like to think so.

Carlton Cole is more than likely off to the mackems anyway :pow:

Are you thinking a MON signing in the likeness of Emile Heskey........superb.

I don't think striking is as petulant as some make out. Lets be fair it's not like any other job. Of course you get paid utterly obscene amounts of cash but you don't have the freedom of movement that you would in another profession and your career is relatively short. If I was somewhere I really didn't want to be and I had the opportunity to go elsewhere, whether it be for more money or to further myself professionally, the club said no and I had another 3 or 4 years on my contract I'd strike as a very last resort.

That said I don't think Maiga was particularly justified in his actions, unlike HBA. We'd had a bid accept and turned down and as far as I'm aware MM's relationship with Sochaux was pretty healthy until that point. Ben Arfa had more or less been told to fuck off by Deschamp, who then changed his mind when his new player had a dicky heart.

Carlton Cole it is then

Immediate and justified lengthy ban surely :D

I'd like to think so.

Carlton Cole is more than likely off to the mackems anyway :pow:

Are you thinking a MON signing in the likeness of Emile Heskey........superb.

:snod:

Conspiracy theory but wasn't there talk a few months ago that we might have switched targets from him? Part of me is thinking perhaps we'd made a gentlemanly agreement to sign him next month with the agent in August, we've went through the motions, and found something to get out of it. Hardly as if we've not signed players with question marks over their fitness in the recent past.

Need one or two defenders and cover for Ba when goes to the ACN. As others have said, maybe we will move for Giroud now, although he will no doubt cost too much for our liking and we will be linked with him until the end of jan and then sign no one.

It's a bit weird this. I'm going to take on face value though, I just don't believe the club is dumb enough to make up this just so they can back out of the deal. Either is truly got a big underlying issue, or perhaps he's carrying something now we don't want to gamble on. Perhaps the recent spate of injuries has raised the bar on our medicals and getting someone in less injury prone is the agenda.

As always, we will find out in January. Really want us to get a striker, centre back and a left back but I'd be surprised if we got more than one of those.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

"No one" is our most likely signing, I think it's plain to see.

http://www.youngseagulls.co.uk/uploads/tx_ggmeettheteam/craig-noone-portrait.jpg