L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

Strange one this, especially when you compare Maiga's injury record to Marveaux's.

Ashley is a gambler, and perhaps he considers a 'free' transfer with a highly-incentivised contract to be less of a risk than a £6m player with a supposed injury problems? Saying that Maiga isn't a player known for difficulties with injuries, and has started more league games in the last two years or so than Marveaux has in his entire career.

Was surprised we were still pursuing this one tbh.

He seemed a bit similar to what we have already.

I think what we need is pacy guy who makes clever runs. Kind of like Sturridge at Bolton (although undoubtedly excellent for Chelsea he seems to play wider there than at Bolton).

Ashley is a gambler, and perhaps he considers a 'free' transfer with a highly-incentivised contract to be less of a risk than a £6m player with a supposed injury problems?

Think you've just answered your own question, free transfer on 30-40k/week is always going to be less of a risk than £6m initial fee plus 30-40k/week

Although you saying Ashley is a gambler means he would surely of gone for Maiga & not Ba/Marv, he's not a gambler with any of businesses.

Ashley is a gambler, and perhaps he considers a 'free' transfer with a highly-incentivised contract to be less of a risk than a £6m player with a supposed injury problems?

Think you've just answered your own question, free transfer on 30-40k/week is always going to be less of a risk than £6m initial fee plus 30-40k/week

Although you saying Ashley is a gambler means he would surely of gone for Maiga & not Ba/Marv, he's not a gambler with any of businesses.

He's a gambler, but an astute one. A free transfer (£2m) after fees + £35,000 a week (only £20,000 when not playing) presents less risk than a £6m player on say £30,000 a week...

I'm suggesting that Ashley and Del Boy may have seen Marveaux as less of a risk in financial terms - obviously they didn't see that he is a 25 year-old who has started 54 league games in his career.

tbf didnt the quotes come from his agent? we've said nowt

I hope that's the case, we tried to siign John Salako years ago and he failed a medical, Keegan told him to claim that he had decided that he didn't want to move so far North.

It should never have got out that he'd failed a medical, I hope that we didn't release the information.

Of course the club released the information! His party (or even Sochaux for that matter) wouldn't want him to appear to be damaged goods.

I think what we need is pacy guy who makes clever runs. Kind of like Sturridge at Bolton (although undoubtedly excellent for Chelsea he seems to play wider there than at Bolton).

Way better then our current lot, except Demba. He's more direct and pacy then Demba though. Would suit us perfectly. So disappointed about how this has turned out. 

i think maybe the club had a sudden brainstorm  and figured, having two of your strikers away for month in the African cup of nation, maybe a bad idea.

im actually glad we not signing another african cup of nation player tbh.

If you are thinking long term then that tournament shouldn't really be much of a consideration.

i think maybe the club had a sudden brainstorm  and figured, having two of your strikers away for month in the African cup of nation, maybe a bad idea.

im actually glad we not signing another african cup of nation player tbh.

If you are thinking long term then that tournament shouldn't really be much of a consideration.

yes but the short term is with two of your first team strikers gone for more than a month, thats not going to bode well for the rest of the current season, and what happens this season will affect the next season.

in a way abandoning this signing is an actual long term view imo.

tbf didnt the quotes come from his agent? we've said nowt

I hope that's the case, we tried to siign John Salako years ago and he failed a medical, Keegan told him to claim that he had decided that he didn't want to move so far North.

Yep... And we ended up with Ginola... Hoping a similar situation will arise here as I've never wanted Maiga from the beginning... Too similar to what we've got from what I've saw of him... And never a fan of any player striking for a move...

Way better then our current lot, except Demba. He's more direct and pacy then Demba though. Would suit us perfectly. So disappointed about how this has turned out. 

Fair do's. I haven't seen him play, just the usual Youtube stuff and tbh, didn't overly impress me but if he was as you've described him then it sounds like a loss.

Have to say, didn't think going to a player who'd be off on a tournament the same time as Ba would've been good planning though. Maybe that started to belatedly factor into their decision.

what about a loan deal? try him out....

Ashley isn't particularly keen on loans though. (I know Ben Arfa was signed on loan initially but he was an exceptional talent!).

Pretty much safe to say this will never materialise, be it a  loan or permanent transfer. Have to pursue other targets now.

• 4 weeks later...