L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

To be fair, I suppose they are relatively similar. Gervinho is quick, but he is feeble. That's why he played so far wide for Lille, and relied on pace, agility and trickery to get into goalscoring positions. I didn't want Gervinho from day one, and was actually quite pleased that he didn't sign for us.

Maiga combines strength and pace - if you can find a striker who has these attributes in the Prem, you're on to a winner. He's a good striker, certain that he'll be a success here.

:thup:

Great to hear.

To be fair, I suppose they are relatively similar. Gervinho is quick, but he is feeble. That's why he played so far wide for Lille, and relied on pace, agility and trickery to get into goalscoring positions. I didn't want Gervinho from day one, and was actually quite pleased that he didn't sign for us.

Maiga combines strength and pace - if you can find a striker who has these attributes in the Prem, you're on to a winner. He's a good striker, certain that he'll be a success here.

Sounds good!

If we had signed Gervinho I bet he would have played in the middle - and would have struggled. Fortunately, Arsenal have a world-class striker in Van Persie and can afford to play Gervinho out wide.

You won't see Wenger play Gervinho through the middle in the Premiership.

Leroy Lita combines strength and pace, this does not make him a great player in this league. Gervinho is just a much better footballer than Maiga and that is the extent of the comparison in my opinion.

Gervinho has been fairly gash thus far.

Would prefer for a new striker to have a more prolific goalscoring record but he is young I guess!

I'm willing to give the club/Graham Carr the benefit of the doubt.

Absolutely. I think their dealings over the last 12 months have earned that in spades.

Leroy Lita combines strength and pace, this does not make him a great player in this league. Gervinho is just a much better footballer than Maiga and that is the extent of the comparison in my opinion.

Massively overrated, and uncultured player. You don't get by with good footwork and agility alone in the Prem.

Not that type of player from what i've read/understood.

Only ask because Gervinho seemed our number one target and wondered whether they were similar.

I forgive you! Nah seriously :) Was actually wondering the same the first time we were linked with him, had no idea and still dont know much more than that he doesn't seem to be like forhead from 3000BC

:lol: that's the thing with Gervinho we got 50% added forehead for free, so I'm wondering what Maiga can bring to the party?

Kind of odd we went with someone who will be at ACoN, that's one of the main reasons I think we really needed a striker, get someone in to take over for Ba. Nonetheless, sounds like a good player, let's just hope that Mali, Senegal and the Ivory Coast crash out early, or that this deal even happens.

He was very good in preseason before being Bartoned in his first match. By the time he returned from his ban Arsenal had lost to two of their rivals by a combined 10-2 and were firmly in freefall and crisis. Combining this with the experience of moving to a new country, league, and team and you can forgive a player for underachieving. I've seen both of them play on the same stage and there was no question in my mind who was of higher quality.

He was very good in preseason before being Bartoned in his first match. By the time he returned from his ban Arsenal had lost to two of their rivals by a combined 10-2 and were firmly in freefall and crisis. Combining this with the experience of moving to a new country, league, and team and you can forgive a player for underachieving. I've seen both of them play on the same stage and there was no question in my mind who was of higher quality.

Fair points.

Guest bimpy474

Viduka, Martins, Owen and Ameobi in the relegation season.

Carroll as well. Outside of Viduka, all of them did actually play quite well for a portion of the season.

Not well enough though :D

Carroll as well. Outside of Viduka, all of them did actually play quite well for a portion of the season.

When you consider the amount of deadwood we had back then it does honestly make you wonder what we would be like now if we never went down.

Guest bimpy474

When you consider the amount of deadwood we had back then it does honestly make you wonder what we would be like now if we never went down.

I try not too, especially after we offered Owen a new deal.......scary thoughts :(