L'Equipe: Modibo Maiga fails medical; transfer 'abandoned'

Optimistic Nut

MsiDouglas Mark Douglas

L'Equipe jumped the gun with Maiga I think. Think they'll get him but not 'done deal'. Details of #NUFC striker hitlist in Journal tomorrow

Well, they said by the end of the week...

How long do people actually expect him to be at the ACN btw? He plays for Mali, they wont do THAT well

Traditional powers like Nigeria, three time defending champion Egypt, Cameroon, and South Africa failed to qualify. I really don't have any idea who might do well.

Ivory Coast and Senegal, obviously :(

Ghana aren't bad. Burkina Faso are actually ranked higher than Senegal, not that FIFAs ranking system is particularly accurate.

If you are hoping for a rapid exit for Mali or Senegal, you should pray that they avoid the groups headed by Equitorial Guinea and Gabon. They are both in pot 3, so there is a possibility they could be placed with Ghana/CIV and another good team like Tunisia. Both are some of the continent's most massive underachievers, so nothing would surprise me.

MsiDouglas Mark Douglas

L'Equipe jumped the gun with Maiga I think. Think they'll get him but not 'done deal'. Details of #NUFC striker hitlist in Journal tomorrow

Well, they said by the end of the week...

That's rich coming from a journalist who has no idea what is happening in France until it's leaked by L'Equipe.

Must admit, it seems like the board are slowly learning lessons. He got rid of Wise and ended up bringing in Graham Carr, leading to a clear transfer strategy and youth policy. This summer we actually got players in early....like REALLY early on, which was great. And in the past if Pardew threatened to walk, he'd have probably let him. Now we're signing players in advance of January? Very nice.

Indeed, The Journal understands that United have drawn up short striker hitlist featuring Maiga, FC Twente striker Luuk de Jong, summer target Papa Cisse and Lille’s free-scoring Senegal forward Moussa Sow as the most prominent targets.

The quartet are all being discussed as potential January signings but Maiga fits most comfortably into United’s requirements on age, salary, price and ability. Most importantly, he is interested in moving to St James’ Park.

The Journal understands French reports claiming a move is close to fruition are premature, with Alan Pardew intending to take in a Sochaux game in the coming weeks to deliver a final verdict on the player. But despite no formal agreement, United have stolen a march on the rest of the chasing pack and the odds are stacked in their favour.

The good thing about our start is that it opens up so many doors for us. Currently we are 4th in the league and getting lots of excellent press world wide.

It makes it easier to get players in, easier to extend contracts, easier to get sponsorship deals and dare I say.... easier to find a buyer. ( not that a new owner would necessarily be a good thing now that we are firing on all cylinders).

Guest TheSummerOf69

Three I think.

Edit :

Sow - 9 matches, 3 goals.

Maiga - 6 matches, 4 goals.

Cissé - 9 matches, 7 goals.

De Jong - 9 matches, 7 goals.

Fuck it, lets sell Ranger to Daglish for £40m and get them all.

;D