Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Young Italian international ;) definitely fits the the bill.

Has to be said though, like most of Ashley's signings this one has again come out of the blue. All the focus on Pieters and others and then suddenly we have him apparently here for a medical. Odds on a striker now?

He got praised by Ronaldo when he played at left back for Inter against Man Utd. And if Ronaldo can be arsed to praise someone, you have to believe there's something good about the lad.

Really don't like the idea of two right footed players on the left but beggars can't be choosers. Hopefully Marveaux is up to it.

I think you are over egging this a little, I don't see much difference between one player on the opposite side and two, although they will link up at times they essentially do different jobs so I can't see it being a major problem.

Both players have played a lot of their careers on that side so it's not as if we are chucking them both into the unknown.

For me it is just that extra touch that Jonas takes and Taylor takes to switch the ball on their right foot really slows our passing down and reduces the number of chances we create. Don't see why it will be different with Santon.

Pleased to get anyone in, but looking at the clips - just from his balance and the way he runs with the ball he looks a real class footballer, particularly going forward. Defensively, good at jockying and nicking the ball also. Plenty of potential there to build on, anyway.

I think people forget that enrique most often also went inside for the overlap when he played with us. That Santon is right footed in that regard isn't a bad thing at all. He's 20 and can still learn to cross with his left foot as Gutierrez has in at a much later stage of his career. However, if Santon walks inside for the overlap, he can still turn to shoot, or he can smack the ball in with his left.

5 Live reporting the medical now as well

Same with SSN.

Well hopefully we have LB sorted, now what about RM and a striker?

Covered in midfield. Dreamland if you think we're going to get another midfielder.

EXCELLENT SIGNING!!!!  (seems very good value at the reported 6m euros?).

I'm hoping he marks Zoggy when we play Villa game after next. I don't fancy Raylor or Simpson marking him.

Striker is priority now. But we also need another good Fullback as i'm not too sure about Simpson.

Same with SSN.

Covered in midfield. Dreamland if you think we're going to get another midfielder.

fwiw i'd put 'anyone good up front' into that category as well

Same with SSN.

The problem with midfield at the moment (Ben Arfa out, Gosling needing time to develop a bit more) is that centrally we have Tiote and Cabaye. Tiote is a defensive/holding midfielder, Cabaye is box to box but needs time to settle in English football (about a season to fully find himself I would imagine), and even though Jonas and Obertan are good runners they just can't put the ball in the box. Jonas against Fuham got to the goal line, turned back and was asking where the fuck is Enrique to put this cross in and Obertan had to cut back in centrally. At the moment in midfield we have no one who I'm fully confident can put the ball in the box, though I think with time Cabaye, Obertan, Gosling will all be able to do this, and of course Ben Arfa will when he comes back.

Same with SSN.

The problem with midfield at the moment (Ben Arfa out, Gosling needing time to develop a bit more) is that centrally we have Tiote and Cabaye. Tiote is a defensive/holding midfielder, Cabaye is box to box but needs time to settle in English football (about a season to fully find himself I would imagine), and even though Jonas and Obertan are good runners they just can't put the ball in the box. Jonas against Fuham got to the goal line, turned back and was asking where the fuck is Enrique to put this cross in and Obertan had to cut back in centrally. At the moment in midfield we have no one who I'm fully confident can put the ball in the box, though I think with time Cabaye, Obertan, Gosling will all be able to do this, and of course Ben Arfa will when he comes back.

I'd add Vuckic to that list as well.

Same with SSN.

Marveaux?

Same with SSN.

I'd add Vuckic to that list as well.

Yeah thats a good shout. however like I said though they all need a little time to develop this, and at the moment their isn't anyone in our midfield who Iwould be confident in being able to put the ball into the box, Ben Arfa aside that is.