Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Our priority for January should be a fullback on the opposite side to where this lad settles.

Not sure how many of us saw him coming on for Simpson, whey I didn't, and I thought it was a cracking decision.

Absolutely chuffed to see him make it onto the pitch, and it'll be interesting to see what role he'll play going forward.

Our priority for January should be a fullback on the opposite side to where this lad settles.

Some CB cover would be nice too like.

Williamson is good enough cover for me like. Don't think we'll be able to attract much better cover than him at the moment. Fourth choice, will we be able to get someone better than Kadar?

Some CB cover would be nice too like.

Williamson is good enough cover for me like. Don't think we'll be able to attract much better cover than him at the moment. Fourth choice, will we be able to get someone better than Kadar?

Aye, Williamson is great cover but Kadar seems to be out of favour so we do need someone else I reckon.

centre back is a position I'd look to be buying an upgrade on rather than buying cover for.

Despite a very costly error, I thought Taylor had another very good game. I really wouldn't mess with our CB pairing at the moment.

centre back is a position I'd look to be buying an upgrade on rather than buying cover for.

Despite a very costly error, I thought Taylor had another very good game. I really wouldn't mess with our CB pairing at the moment.

To be fair he did the same thing the other week and was lucky not to have a penalty awarded against us then too, my feelings on Taylor have mellowed over the past 12 months but he still is a liability.

Said it before and I'll say it again, Ridgewell. Would be pushing Taylor & Simpson for a starting place, and would be 3rd/4th choice centre-back. Two birds with one stone.

:thup: a very good, very non-exciting signing.

Said it before and I'll say it again, Ridgewell. Would be pushing Taylor & Simpson for a starting place, and would be 3rd/4th choice centre-back. Two birds with one stone.

Totally agree. A Ridgewell-type and a striker makes us look very tasty.

I was behind it at the time because it was deadline day excitement but, nah, Liam Ridgewell is pretty much dogshite. Seen him a few times this season and he's been completely :anguish:

I'd still take him as cover simply as there is no-one else but I'd like as I said all summer to upgrade on CB and a first team LB ideally (Santon being a RB in my eyes)

Erik Pieters.

Can't see us spending that much on a defender now, we only seem to 'splash' the cash on replacements and even then it's not a great deal. We have a right back and a left back, can't see us spending £6-7m on another one especially as a forward will probably be a priority.

Is Pardew off his tits? Doesn't he realise Santon was signed as a left back?

Looked great IMO,I know it's only 15 mins but sometimes you can just tell by the way a player carries themselves,they're attitude to the game and comfort in possession,excited about this lad.

From .cock:

Davide Santon made his Newcastle debut on Sunday against Tottenham, and paid tribute to his United teammates for helping him settle on Tyneside.

The summer signing from Inter Milan has had to wait more than a month to make his Magpies bow, with the combination of the team's excellent form and a slight knee injury keeping him sidelined.

But Santon came off the bench for the final 13 minutes against Spurs, to help his new employers come from behind to salvage a 2-2 draw at St. James' Park.

And the defender told nufc.co.uk after the final whistle: "I've been waiting, and it is really good to finally get on the pitch.

"It was frustrating having my knee problems so early after I joined the Club, but everyone here was so helpful and supportive. They helped me recover, and even today the rest of the players were there to help.

"Now I just want to do my best, get more games and try to help Newcastle continue our fantastic start to the season."

Santon had his first experience of the St. James' Park faithful too, with close to 45,000 supporters roaring United on to a share of the spoils.

And the full-back was delighted with the reception he got.

"They are fantastic fans," he said. "They cheered when I came on so they are fantastic! They helped us a lot today and the noise they made was very important in helping us get the draw.

"At the beginning there was a lot of pressure, but Shola came on for us to score the equaliser and 2-2 is a really good result."

hehehe he said "Shola"...

What alot of people leep forgetting is BA is going to be away for a month at African Cup of Nations so i still believe a striker is necessary.......

Not as necessary as kicking Simpson and Obertan out of the starting line up is mind....

They are also forgetting that he is injury-prone. Best is unproven and Shola is Shola. We need another striker.

What alot of people leep forgetting is BA is going to be away for a month at African Cup of Nations so i still believe a striker is necessary.......

Not as necessary as kicking Simpson and Obertan out of the starting line up is mind....

They are also forgetting that he is injury-prone. Best is unproven and Shola is Shola. We need another striker.

Yep that too  :lol:

I'd like a full back and back up CB too( we have 3 CB's and one is currently injured till Xmas) but under Ashley i have learnt to take anything i get given lol.

Think we will still be in for Cissokho/Pieters.. Santon will push Simmo/Taylor until then.

We really still need 5/6 players.. Blindly hoping we will get 2/3 in January though, Striker, LB and CB cover.

Barton replacement and DM cover (Barnetta could do both), then someone to replace Lovenkrands.