Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

dunno I'd have him at RB behind Obertan up against Bale like.  If Raylor's fit slot him back in at LB.  harvest simpson for spare parts for Demba. 

Bale will just swap wings to wherever the shittest full back is.

Guest pintofscottsellers

Has Bale ever done anything against us?

Scored against us last season daaaaaaan tha lane.

aye, was a typical Bale goal aswell, run down the line, low drive into the bottom corner.

Seems really reluctant to shoot. A few times every game he cuts inside and has an opportunity from 25 to 30 yards out, to be fair he did have a dig once today but if he can work on it it could create opportunities with knock downs etc plus the odd goal for himself.

As if he needs to shoot some people really wants miracles.... dont forget he is only 20... he will be massive in his second season.....

dunno like, i've noticed this, sometimes he's been in fantastic positions to just crack it and he doesn't (not so much today mind) and i'm not talking from 25yds, i'm talking from inside the box or 20yds out with a big gap and the ball in his stride on his supposed better foot.

I obviously don't have a clue as to what's really the case, just theorizing as to why left-back might be his preferred position.

Maybe this lad is just bad at crossing and better at cutting inside? If his crosses aren't that accurate anyway there wouldn't be much of an advantage to having him on the right hugging the touchline.

Lee Young-Pyo was one of the best players to ever play for South Korea, and he was a right-footed left-back that was terrible at right-back. He had the same problem: great running with the ball at his feet but not much crossing ability.

I obviously don't have a clue as to what's really the case, just theorizing as to why left-back might be his preferred position.

Maybe this lad is just bad at crossing and better at cutting inside? If his crosses aren't that accurate anyway there wouldn't be much of an advantage to having him on the right hugging the touchline.

Lee Young-Pyo was one of the best players to ever play for South Korea, and he was a right-footed left-back that was terrible at right-back. He had the same problem: great running with the ball at his feet but not much crossing ability.

Always with the Koreans.

Always with the Koreans.

I talk about what I know man :lol: Couldn't tell you the first thing about Phillip Lahm's abilities and deficiencies so I won't even try.

I think he's better at crossing than Gutierrez and will only improve at it. I don't know enough about Santon's history at RB over LB but I'm more than happy with him at LB right now. I do believe we need another top fullback though as Danny Simpson looks scared too often when the ball's at his feet

The main problem with Santon at LB right now is that Jonas is right-footed too, so we have no actual crossing threat from the left side.

Wouldn't be that bothered if we had a natural left-footed winger playing alongside him. Then again, in the long term I'd probably move Santon to the right before I moved Jonas.

Has Bale ever done anything against us?

Memory nearly as good as your spelling.

Fuck off with that boring shite man :lol:

It was a half serious question as cannot remember him ever having one of his stand out Bale performances against us where i've genuinely feared him on the ball, we've generally coped with him quite well.

I think iam one of the few people here, that would prefer a RB be brought in and keep him at LB.

depends who the LB is ? i've no problem with him switching sides if it's better for the team.

Say for example, Clyne and someone of similar ability to Clyne becomes available but he's a LB; who would you buy the LB and switch Santon to RB or buy Clyne and leave Santon where he is?

I think iam one of the few people here, that would prefer a RB be brought in and keep him at LB.

depends who the LB is ? i've no problem with him switching sides if it's better for the team.

Say for example, Clyne and someone of similar ability to Clyne becomes available but he's a LB; who would you buy the LB and switch Santon to RB or buy Clyne and leave Santon where he is?

never saw enough of clyne to say, someone like cissokho would make me put santon on the right.

never saw enough of clyne to say, someone like cissokho would make me put santon on the right.

Oh yh it would me too, think what i was getting at is i wouldnt move him for any average joe; only a fullback of real quality which will improve the team dramatically would make me want to move him......

After all for the most part he has been playing tremendously well.