Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

• 2 weeks later...

think i would prefer him as rb. he is good going forward and cutting in but its not creating enough or being dangerous imo.

think his right foot will create more from rb

is it only me who believes he could be better at that position?

think i would prefer him as rb. he is good going forward and cutting in but its not creating enough or being dangerous imo.

think his right foot will create more from rb

is it only me who believes he could be better at that position?

Nope. Me2.

Guest malandro

Cole, Evra, Clichy,... all naturally left footed. Can anyone name a top class left back that is predominantly right footed?

We needed a left back but bought a right footed player because he was..... a 'bargain'. 

Cole, Evra, Clichy,... all naturally left footed. Can anyone name a top class left back that is predominantly right footed?

We needed a left back but bought a right footed player because he was..... a 'bargain'. 

Is he a bad left back? and given his position he wasn't really a bargain.

Santon's lack of left foot cross isn't a problem.  The problem is we don't have a left winger who can put in a cross from the left.

Although I agree he may be even more productive to link up with HBA on the right, Santon is a very good left back already, even better than Enrique.  To replace Enrique with just 5m is a great business, nevermind a bargain.

Of course it's a problem. He's an attacking full back who poses next to no attacking threat. I think he's fantastic up to the 18 yard line but from there he's embarrassingly easy to defend against and that's all down to having no left foot. Doesn't have to be able to cross like Beckham, simply be able to put a ball between goalkeeper and centre half.

Guest malandro

Santon's lack of left foot cross isn't a problem.  The problem is we don't have a left winger who can put in a cross from the left.

Although I agree he may be even more productive to link up with HBA on the right, Santon is a very good left back already, even better than Enrique.  To replace Enrique with just 5m is a great business, nevermind a bargain.

Enrique was a better defender, and better going forward. Santon is OK but, like a lot of right footed player who cut in from the left, flatters to deceive.

Because he doesn't have the option to lay off to the left winger to put in a cross.  His only choice is to cut in.

Wullie, the same applies if both Jonas and Santon are left-footed. Their only choice would be just keep on crossing from the left.

Enrique was a better defender, and better going forward. Santon is OK but, like a lot of right footed player who cut in from the left, flatters to deceive.

Enrique is a great one-on-one defender but a very poor zonal defender.  This is the reason why Rodgers refuse to play him as left back, and why he isn't call up to national team, even before the emergence of Alba.

Anyway, not going to argue anymore here, just want to point out Santon shouldn't be accused of lack of attacking threat because the one in front of him is a defensive winger who also couldn't cross on the left.

Guest malandro

He can't overlap. He cuts into crowded areas and provides no width. If you look at how effectively Enrique and Jonas used to link up it was based on Enrique running past the left midfielder.  Santon just runs into trouble and it makes for a slow and clumsy attacking threat down the left.

He might not look as flashy down the right but he would be a more effective part of a team system. Currently our opponents let Simpson have the ball in threatening positions because he has no quality. We therefore pose little attacking threat down the left and have to rely on HBA's individual brilliance down the right. 

He needs to cut in and shoot more often. It would be nice to have a winger (such as Marveaux), overlapping behind him when Santon cuts in, would drag a defender out wide to give Santon a bit more space to operate in.

I think what he is lacking now is the end product. Strong and fast going forward and then......nothing. going forward should be what he is best at. defensively still a lot to learn.

imaging him in full speed overlapping arfa who cuts in and santons good right foot to cross with. He can easily cut in himself from RB. THAT would be the sh't we have been calling for and what simpson could never do.

I think we should move him to rb and buy a new LB.

he is good but he could be much better and a dangerous attacking option....which he isn´t right now.  jonas is not to blame here.

It's a massive problem that we aren't getting any service from wide positions, and the full back positions are a part of it. I refuse to criticise our strikers until this is addressed.

true.

its an important weapon we are lacking. maybe they actually could work better together if we played more wide. Arfa to cut in also and cabaye playmaker and a goal threat as well from the middle.

well problem solved.

merry christmas

Guest bimpy474

If you are playing attacking full backs to give you width, then you need good full backs obviously. This is where Simpson and Santon have lets us down with their crossing. The big worry for me is, your holding midfielder has to stay deep so he can drop in the centre half position so the two centre half's can split if the opposition break down your exposed flanks if the full backs have pushed on.

This is a massive problem for me, we get caught with opposition breaking on our centre halfs so often. Pardew needs to sort that out and tell Tiote to sit properly.

It seems to me that Santon actually prefers cutting in, it certainly adds to his attacking and helps him to beat a man. His end product is by no means the finished article. He needs to develop the confidence to whip it in first time when he does cut in, in addition he might as well have a shot at goal too.

As it stands he's still my long term option for LB.