Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

A good coach would have him working massively on his left, his cutting in play is fine aside from a reluctance to shoot but he needs to be able to hit the byline n all to keep the full back guessing, particularly as we've little else on the left hoying in shots. It makes us relatively easy to defend against.

It's one of the reasons I wouldn't averse to Ben Arfa starting wide left and/or us signing another lefty to play there.

Its one of the reasons i desperately want a left winger.... with Santon and Ben Arfa going inside all the time we need options on the outside we have Debuchy on the right who needs no invitation to go forward but on the left we have no one.

Haidara I thought lookedd more solid in the defensive side of his game, which was a snap judgement based on very little.

I still can't believe anyone would think that. Haidara's absolutely useless defensively to the point I don't think he likes defending, at all. Still, he's good going forward and has plenty time to work on it. He's miles behind Santon, though.

Gouffran is canny at taking players on mind.

He never really takes players on.

Yeah, that's what's holding him back for that left forward spot. I've seen him take players on a couple of times with some success but it's clearly not his natural game.

Was only 2 weeks back folk on here were saying Haidara was better.

One of the things that annoys me about this place. People are very quick to judge. It's fair enough on people like Shola who have been here for an eternity and proven their are useless but when I see people just decide that Santon is shit defensively and Debuchy is useless based on half a season.

Was only 2 weeks back folk on here were saying Haidara was better.

One of the things that annoys me about this place. People are very quick to judge. It's fair enough on people like Shola who have been here for an eternity and proven their are useless but when I see people just decide that Santon is s*** defensively and Debuchy is useless based on half a season.

To be fair I'm of the opinion that Santon is suspect defensively, and that's based on two seasons, that's not to say he won't improve of course.

He doesn't mess up nearly as much as people make out and the fact he has been playing left back and left wing to make up for Jonas the last 2 years I think earns him a little slack.

Guest Haris Vuckic

Gouffran is canny at taking players on mind.

He never really takes players on.

He's decent when he does mind. Had Sagna on his arse a few times last game of the season. If we see more of Santon's left foot & Gouffran taking players on I'll be happy enough with the left. (On the basis we bring in someone to challenge Gouffran, who isn't THAT good.)

I think Gouffran is better when he played behind the striker or as the striker himself..... it gives him more space and his movement is more effective.

I would prefer to see more suitable players bought for the LW spot and Gouffran be used as a back up for that role.