Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Perfectly fine to have that opinion, but to just say he's shit and always has been is garbage IMO.

as it is fine for you to have that opinion, he has only ever looked half decent against teams that offered little threat.

As awful as santon has been I think Debuchy has been as bad. Johnson and borini have taken the p*ss out of them both.

I'd have to watch the game to make a judgement. Pardew has gone for a new formation and that might have everyone confused.

Debuchy was arguably better going forward, but defensively Borini has having his pants down. Skinned him time and time again. Both fullbacks were a shambles.

Guest alijmitchell

His performances basically do not reflect the potential he has. Another player that is regressing here, and I f he had any sense should leave. His positional sense is poor, and his attempted clearance for goal 2 was indefensible

Guest bimpy474

His performances are made to look worse because he's now the go-to set piece man despite the fact that he can't cross and can't shoot.

Who the fuck has made that decision?

:pardsgrin:

He's not even a good left back. Of the 'first eleven' he's the first I'd get rid of. Dummett is pathetic too, we need a left back. I'd even go with Mbiwa there once Col's back.

I'd give Dummett or Haidara a go just to see what they can do, impossible to judge them without them having a real run in the side.

Guest palnese

As mentioned, I really like him as a footballer, but I'm starting to doubt if he's a fullback.

Would like to see him in a midfield three just for the hell of it.

He's not even a good left back. Of the 'first eleven' he's the first I'd get rid of. Dummett is pathetic too, we need a left back. I'd even go with Mbiwa there once Col's back.

I'd give Dummett or Haidara a go just to see what they can do, impossible to judge them without them having a real run in the side.

Haidara aye. Dummett will go the way of Edgar, Huntington, Pattison, etc. Least he would have if we hadn't given him a mental contract.

Haidara looks like he could develop into a good left back if he's given some games.

looked good going forward, looked clueless in defense

That might just be not being acclimatised. We've got nothing to lose by giving him a few games now and seeing if he can adapt.

The only defence is that he's 'young'. Actually, you're age doesnt matter. It's all about experience, he's played 128 times at the top level, he's an experienced defender and that renders his age irrelevant. He's crap, he wont improve. Offers the grand total of fuck all going forward and is poor defensively, thats not even considering the lapses in concentration.

Somehow, Santon has avoided much of the flak in his time here, hopefully folk will start to wake up and realise hes a fraud.

Guest palnese

I don't know why people rate him. I've never seen him have a good game for us, the same can be applied to Debuchy as well to be fair.

wat

I don't know why people rate him. I've never seen him have a good game for us, the same can be applied to Debuchy as well to be fair.

wat

All he does is back off, the same as Santon. It's all well and good getting forward but when your primary job is to defend and to stop crosses from coming in and you can't do that then whats the point?

Simply by being rated he's over rated.

I think some of the mistakes Santon made today, I'd be looking at the coaching staff to rectify.

He was constantly out of positions, either up away where Sammy should be or in the centre. If Sunderland's winger had any sense he would have been right over where Santon should have been and exploiting the gap.

I think some of the mistakes Santon made today, I'd be looking at the coaching staff to rectify.

He was constantly out of positions, either up away where Sammy should be or in the centre. If Sunderland's winger had any sense he would have been right over where Santon should have been and exploiting the gap.

I really think it's a coaching issue. He hasn't just suddenly become shit. Attackers are approaching him a different way and he has been given little guidance on it imo.