Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Personally think he's a very shakey full back who positionally is all over the place quite frequently. I think he can burst forward well but his end product is pretty limited.

Dont mind him, but doesnt look as good as we'd hoped he would be, although that could be the Pardew effect.

It's clear Gouffran's been making him look much more solid for a while by doing most of his defensive work for him.

This - nail on head absolutely. Santon is a poor defender and we would do well to sell him back to Italy if we can find a suitable buyer.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

Him and Debuchy can't handle the pressure of big games and make silly mistakes, give away fouls etc... Santon's defending has always been mediocre and while some people say he makes up for that going forward he rare whips in a good cross and can't hit the target when he cuts inside. Dunno what he's good at. I said the other day that we really needed Grenier just to take our setpieces cos I don't think I can stand another one from Santon

What an absolute load of bollocks.

Debuchy was great against Spurs, Chelsea, Man Yoo, Liverpool, Arsenal and the recent narrow loss to Man City.

But aye he can't handle the pressure of big games because he's s*** in the derby.

Playing a better team in the League isn't as pressurising as a derby or playing a Cup game (especially against a lesser team) I'll let you know. Are we ever favourites to beat those teams you mentioned  :lol: ?

I just can't understand his jogging back when he's a defender...i just can't understand how he didn't fucking turn his head to see Adam Johnson behind him...and I can't FORGIVE him half ass'ng that goal line clearance/challenge on Johnson.

Example of heart/Commitment?: MYM chasing a seemingly MORE lost cause at Spurs and somehow fighting his way into that challenge and somehow getting to the ball first to clear it safely out.

I'm tired of this "he's young and will learn" crap with Santon. That 2nd goal effort on his part was shocking and a 100% droppable offense imo.

I think he's total shite, like. Not a clue what people see in him.

EDIT: Didn't mean for that to come across as 'point-scorey' as it sounded. He properly winds me up though cos, contrary to my above sentence, we have actually seen him demonstrate some good ability. But it's so fucking infrequently. He's ineffective 90% of the time imo.

Play Haidara rest of season.  Dummett if anything happens to Haidara.  Flog him to *inser Serie A club here* in the summer.

I just can't understand his jogging back when he's a defender...i just can't understand how he didn't fucking turn his head to see Adam Johnson behind him...and I can't FORGIVE him half ass'ng that goal line clearance/challenge on Johnson.

Example of heart/Commitment?: MYM chasing a seemingly MORE lost cause at Spurs and somehow fighting his way into that challenge and somehow getting to the ball first to clear it safely out.

I'm tired of this "he's young and will learn" crap with Santon. That 2nd goal effort on his part was shocking and a 100% droppable offense imo.

Must admit I've developed a hatred for Santoine over the last few months.

Think he's surviving on his rep alone at the moment.

People who know far more that me about football seem to rate him though so I guess he's got something. I think he should sit a few games on the bench with MYM/Haidara coming in, he's shot to bits.

Heart of Pistone.

Well said that man! No heart whatsoever on Saturday.

If my beer addled memery serves me correctly he was looking over to the bench a lot trying to signal his lack of intent and to get subbed (or is it just me?)...

Would happily never see this lad play for us again. Utter shite, second goal was all his and Taylor's fault and he had the cheek to slap Krul when he was telling the little prick. He doesn't have the heart or the ability to play for this club. His defensive play is horrendous, constantly caught out of position, easily turned, doesn't follow his man, doesn't show his man his weaker foot and his offensive play is even worse; run down the line cut into the box and stop. Give Haidara or Dummett a good run in the team now and bench this prick.

Him and Debuchy can't handle the pressure of big games and make silly mistakes, give away fouls etc... Santon's defending has always been mediocre and while some people say he makes up for that going forward he rare whips in a good cross and can't hit the target when he cuts inside. Dunno what he's good at. I said the other day that we really needed Grenier just to take our setpieces cos I don't think I can stand another one from Santon

What an absolute load of bollocks.

Debuchy was great against Spurs, Chelsea, Man Yoo, Liverpool, Arsenal and the recent narrow loss to Man City.

But aye he can't handle the pressure of big games because he's shit in the derby.

I thought Debuchy was suspended when we played City?

I think he has good potential, but he probably won't reach it here while Pardew and his team are here. Has he even developed one bit since he arrived? I still think we should hold on to him for next season though. We could potentially be losing Remy, Cisse and Colo at least in the summer, the last thing we need is to sell Santon as well because he won't be replaced. Haidara needs more game time to create some real competition for LB.

I think he has good potential, but he probably won't reach it here while Pardew and his team are here. Has he even developed one bit since he arrived? I still think we should hold on to him for next season though. We could potentially be losing Remy, Cisse and Colo at least in the summer, the last thing we need is to sell Santon as well because he won't be replaced. Haidara needs more game time to create some real competition for LB.

Agree with this. I really want him to succeed but he's not really improving.

Guest antz1uk

How many players come from the ridiculously slow paced serie A and not make it in the premier league, they have time to smoke a cigar over there, even Veron, who i still think was a class player just couldnt manage it in the Prem

He didn't slide to block Armstrong's shot, his effort was half-hearted. I've seen him do it before, and I'm not sure you can coach that into a player.

He didn't slide to block Armstrong's shot, his effort was half-hearted. I've seen him do it before, and I'm not sure you can coach that into a player.

Who the fuck is Armstrong?