Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

I don't rate him offensively either. Doesn't contribute to any assists or goals. I really don't see the point of him. I used to forgive him b/c I thought he was OK defensively with his height and ability in the air and carrying ball forward - but he's weak as piss when he's having one of those low confidence days.

Offensively he's useful for bringing the ball out of defence and carrying it forward. That's about it though, as he won't go outside the full back so never gets behind the defence to put a decent cross in.

I'm not a fan of Haidara defensively either, but if we are going to play Anita, Tiote, Sissoko - then AP needs to drill into those 3 that Debuchy and Haidara are going to be push up to create chances and they need to be disciplined in their midfield roles to cover for these full backs.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

He does have some good qualities but also a lot of flaws which overshadow them. He lacks pace for the PL, is scared to tackle and can't shoot with his favoured foot. He could be more effective if he learnt to overlap properly like a good fullback would do (Debuchy) instead of just wandering aimlessly forward with the ball . Moreover he could make some runs into the box like Debuchy has done in recent times to offer us some firepower ( :lol:) which will be much needed in the coming weeks

He's OK breaking from deep as he gets a bit of time, the way we play with our widemen he'd be awful receiving the ball (often with his back to goal) with few options around to him. Not to mention his often poor final ball.

I do believe he's a good player, I don't believe he'll ever become one here.

Guest bimpy474

I cant believe what i'm reading. He did do ok in possession, wasn't that bad going forward either, but defensively was abysmal. Play him there all you like but we will concede goals like a fucking sieve.

Guest bimpy474

Judging by today's performance he'd probably do better playing where Sissoko was.

You know what, i think you're right.

I cant believe what i'm reading. He did do ok in possession, wasn't that bad going forward either, but defensively was abysmal. Play him there all you like but we will concede goals like a f***ing sieve.

In typical Pardew fashion, it was his first ever match in that position (that I know of as a professional) and he was being made to track the likes of Hazard, Willian, and Oscar. It was not exactly a League Cup match against Gillingham when you try new things.

Guest bimpy474

I cant believe what i'm reading. He did do ok in possession, wasn't that bad going forward either, but defensively was abysmal. Play him there all you like but we will concede goals like a f***ing sieve.

In typical Pardew fashion, it was his first ever match in that position (that I know of as a professional) and he was being made to track the likes of Hazard, Willian, and Oscar. It was not exactly a League Cup match against Gillingham when you try new things.

Fair comment, but even basic defending seem go missing with him.

I thought he played well, he's not a DM but he recycled possession well, and that pass to sissoko was quality

Santon could play at any position on the pitch outside of striker and keeper and look fine, because he is a good footballer and a good athlete. I thought he looked fine today. The problem will still be a certain intelligence, aggression, and confidence lacking from his game. I don't know what has happened, but he has become very passive imo, and this trait has become more and more pervasive since his drop in form around the turn of the new year last season. He is around the age where he should becoming more and more sure of himself as a top level player, but is instead playing scared and in danger of losing his position. As with many of our players, I hate what has happened to him from his arrival until now.

Guest zicomartin

I thought he played well, he's not a DM but he recycled possession well, and that pass to sissoko was quality

Santon could play at any position on the pitch outside of striker and keeper and look fine

...except LB, RB, LW, RW, CD, No.10 and DM maybe.

Somebody has told him he is an AM and dead ball expert.  Probably Pardew believing Mourinho's  BS.