Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

I do wonder, had Tiote been playing, whether that first goal would even happen. Santon's inability to get back goal side, which would have only taken a tiny bit of effort, cost us that goal in my opinion.

I feel if he wasn't going to play left back then he should have been in one of the wide roles like people thought he would be pre-match. He could have helped double up on Hazard, instead of having Hatem doing that job.

Didn't think he was very good at CM. Failed experiment.

Away to Chelsea :lol: Majority of DM's in the league probably don't look very good at Stamford Bridge the way Chelsea overrun your midfield.

It's not exactly polemic to suggest he's not CM!!!!! He just didn't offer any protection at all. I don't think we'd have won if Gosling had played instead.

But by the same token. Why not play Marveaux if you're convinced we're going to lose? At least SM gets 90 minutes to get some fitness in. Might even discover a bit of desire and apply himself..

Away to Chelsea :lol: Majority of DM's in the league probably don't look very good at Stamford Bridge the way Chelsea overrun your midfield.

He's not arsed when the right winger is goal side of him at LB, he doesn't care at CM/DM. He won't put a foot in. He won't count. A passenger always.

It's not exactly polemic to suggest he's not CM!!!!! He just didn't offer any protection at all. I don't think we'd have won if Gosling had played instead.

But by the same token. Why not play Marveaux if you're convinced we're going to lose? At least SM gets 90 minutes to get some fitness in. Might even discover a bit of desire and apply himself..

Just find it strange that you'd only give him one chance away to Chelsea to shine and because he didn't, say it's failed. I think he was alright like considering it was his first game there for us and against the calibre of players up against him. Defensively poor again like he is at left back but he was good on the ball and helped us build attacks. If nobody was back fit again for Wed, I’d have no problems with Santon having another stint in the middle. I'd personally prefer Marv to be given a chance but it's not looking likely, would have done himself a favour if he hadn't of missed the great chance at the end.

Just find it strange that you'd only give him one chance away to Chelsea to shine and because he didn't, say it's failed. I think he was alright like considering it was his first game there for us and against the calibre of players up against him. Defensively poor again like he is at left back but he was good on the ball and helped us build attacks. If nobody was back fit again for Wed, I’d have no problems with Santon having another stint in the middle. I'd personally prefer Marv to be given a chance but it's not looking likely, would have done himself a favour if he hadn't of missed the great chance at the end.

Unless i've missed something i don't expect Santon to be a regular at CM for us for the rest of the season so it's, at best, a moot point. 

I'm not sure he should be in the side at all tbh.

Guest Brazilianbob

Santon was marking Hazard but let him get away from him for the first goal on saturday.

It was nothing to do with Hazard being an exceptional player, it was simply a case of Santon ball watching and suddenly realizing he had let Hazard get away from him.  By the time Santon caught up with Hazard it was already too late as the ball was nestling in the back of the net.  Schoolboy error stuff as far as I'm concerned.

Santon was marking Hazard but let him get away from him for the first goal on saturday.

It was nothing to do with Hazard being an exceptional player, it was simply a case of Santon ball watching and suddenly realizing he had let Hazard get away from him.  By the time Santon caught up with Hazard it was already too late as the ball was nestling in the back of the net.  Schoolboy error stuff as far as I'm concerned.

I've  been waiting to see how long it was before someone picked up on this...I noticed it too but I'm getting tired of saying that Santon is not a good defender so I wondered if anyone else had noticed Saturday's howler.

He's not a decent PL LB and now it appears that he's not good in m/f either because his defensive frailties show up there too. In an ideal situation - i.e. with a decent owner/manager I would sell this guy in an instant because he is never going to do the job he is there for. Has decent skill on the ball but can't cross with his left foot to save his life...well done for picking it up BB...

9 Ball recoveries (2nd best on both sides), 6 interceptions (best on both teams), highest attacking 3rd chances for us, 95% completion rate, and highest pass amount on our team.  Now I'm no purveyor of stats but that strikes me as pretty decent for a bloke playing his first game in CM against arguably the best midfield in the league.

You can make facts prove anything tbh :lol:

:lol: so he made one mistake playing in a role he's never played in,against arguably the best MD in the country. So now he's s***? madness in this thread. EVERY goal is a mistake from someone, should we sell tiote when he doesn't track, cabaye? Anita?

The thought of selling Cabaye :lol: Why would we do that when he's our best player?

he should have tracked Hazard for the first.

Actually think he just got caught flat footed. Coupled with his non existent recovery pace i think it made it look like he'd f**ked worse than he had. Justa bad body position to start with. Would be due to being unfamiliar in the role i would think.

:lol: so he made one mistake playing in a role he's never played in,against arguably the best MD in the country. So now he's s***? madness in this thread. EVERY goal is a mistake from someone, should we sell tiote when he doesn't track, cabaye? Anita?

Well, tbf, i don't think he's much of a LB.

Actually think he just got caught flat footed. Coupled with his non existent recovery pace i think it made it look like he'd f**ked worse than he had. Justa bad body position to start with. Would be due to being unfamiliar in the role i would think.

It's not recovery pace, he just can't be arsed. Has no urgency to his game whatsoever. He's not in Italy anymore man. He's been here for a good while.

It's not recovery pace, he just can't be arsed. Has no urgency to his game whatsoever. He's not in Italy anymore man. He's been here for a good while.

You think? I reckon he just has bad acceleration. Like, Shola bad.

That and he gives up too easy :lol:

I like him and have high hopes for him here, but you see clear as day one of the replay angles from above that he's jogging back casually, ignoring Hazard who wants it more and ends up with a free shot at goal, and Santon isn't there to block it

Definitely seems to be a confidence type player. Some of his worst performances for the club always seem to be when his confidence is shot.

Think that was pretty much what happened at Inter. He had a promising start to his career, got injured and lost form coming back, was sent on loan, failed to make an impression and was sold to us.

He was very good when he played RM a half last season. Think he scored that game too

Which game?

The Wigan away match that was a complete shambles of a match. Also the same match Debuchy got hurt, then Haidara came on for him and Santon switched to the right, and then finally Haidara's leg was nearly taken off by Callum Macca.