Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

I'm not sure why the idea of him playing right back and getting another good full back to play LB has become a laughing matter?

It would improve the team massively

He plays right back for his country

He may have been 'bought as a left back' but so what? It's the same sort of blinkered thinking that shepherd used when he would only hire british managers. It's not even as if playing Santon at RB would be hugely experimental or thinking out of the box, if there's someone better than raylor to play at LB it's the bleeding obvious thing to do. Whether it's likely or not is a different matter.

I'm not sure why the idea of him playing right back and getting another good full back to play LB has become a laughing matter?

He may have been 'bought as a left back' but so what? It's the same sort of blinkered thinking that shepherd used when he would only hire british managers. It's not even as if playing Santon at RB would be hugely experimental or thinking out of the box, if there's someone better than raylor to play at LB it's the bleeding obvious thing to do. Whether it's likely or not is a different matter.

I agree long-term or even post-January, but don't agree we should be playing him RB, midfield or wherever now when we have R.Taylor playing in the position he was initially signed for. :lol:

I'd like to think that in some point in the future if we want to bring a new, better fullback in we've got scope to buy either a LB or a RB considering Santon can play either.

I'd like to think that in some point in the future if we want to bring a new, better fullback in we've got scope to buy either a LB or a RB considering Santon can play either.

:thup: Who knows. Maybe this is a calculated idea from the board. (:best:) Snap at a chance of getting a potentially great young full back to initially kick Raylor out of the LB spot, and then in the future we can upgrade by signing either a LB or RB to kick Simmo out, too.

Basically it's win win. Come the next transfer window we're not restricted in looking for a LB or a RB, we could sign either and Santon will play the opposite side. He's more than comfortable at RB or LB so it gives us a wider spectrum to play with.

The club tried on more than one occasion over the summer to offload Simpson. I think there's every chance that Santon will end up at right back with A. N. Other at left back eventually... Probably next summer.

Or possibly sign a RB, depends on where the lad feels comfortable. Can't really spend £6m and not play him in his best position long term, would be a terrible idea.

If we got a good offer in for Simpson, he's gone like, we'll cash in on him as the club will know he can be replaced.

Guest Haris Vuckic

He's played right and left back for both U21's and senior teams. He's drew plaudits as a left back. Primarily he's a left back.

Do you reckon Phillip Lahm has people tapping him on the shoulder every 30 seconds saying he should play right back? No.

Right footed left back, like Lahm, Maldini, Irwin, etc etc it can be done. 

He's played right and left back for both U21's and senior teams. He's drew plaudits as a left back. Primarily he's a left back.

Do you reckon Phillip Lahm has people tapping him on the shoulder every 30 seconds saying he should play right back? No.

:thup:

Guest Haris Vuckic

No he got his first start at Inter because Chivu was injured and he was so impressive at left back they kept him on, then he had a couple of injuries etc etc

considering my whole post was about the idea that playing him at RB shouldnt be sneered at if it's best for the team, you haven't made a single worthwhile point.

Guest Haris Vuckic

considering my whole post was about the idea that playing him at RB shouldnt be sneered at if it's best for the team, you haven't made a single worthwhile point.

It wasn't singularly in response to yourself - as much as you would like that, more in response to a mentality and people who just cant get their heads round a right footed player on the left are just as blinkered.

Anyway....

I wouyld so love it if we bought another full back in Jan and Pardew's plan had always been to get rid of the two average footballers we have currently in thes positions... Just love it!! (fingers, toes, eyes all crossed!)

It wasn't singularly in response to yourself - as much as you would like that, more in response to a mentality and people who just cant get their heads round a right footed player on the left are just as blinkered.

Anyway....

and here's me thinking that we use quote's to refer to and answer each other's posts

Guest Haris Vuckic

Anyway....

and here's me thinking that we use quote's to refer to and answer each other's posts

Yay! Internet war!

Anyway....

Yay! Internet war!

ok mate

i make post

you make post replying

i say that isnt really relevant

you say you're not talking to me anyway

cracking debate :aww: