Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Interesting for Pardew to put him on in place of simpson at that time in the game also.

Obviously thought he'd offer us something simpson wouldnt, a good sign for the future.

Nah don't read too much from that.  It's usual that Bale starts bombing after 70 mins when the opponent RB is tired. Pardew just wants to prevent that.

Interesting for Pardew to put him on in place of simpson at that time in the game also.

Obviously thought he'd offer us something simpson wouldnt, a good sign for the future.

Nah don't read too much from that.  It's usual that Bale starts bombing after 70 mins when the opponent RB is tired. Pardew just wants to prevent that.

Fucking hell i just realised Gareth Bale was playing for them :lol:

Also, Simpson was shite.

Think it's very telling he came on for Simpson not Raylor.

Not sure whether I'd rather have him replace Raylor or Simpson. At least we have Jonas on the left, so this addition might add more balance to our side in terms of quality on the flanks.

I do think in the long run he'll be left-back, but while R.Taylor is doing well at left-back and Simpson is struggling a bit at right-back, makes far more sense to try and disrupt the defensive unit as little as possible and just make the one change rather than two (switching Taylor to the right and Santon left).

I do think in the long run he'll be left-back, but while R.Taylor is doing well at left-back and Simpson is struggling a bit at right-back, makes far more sense to try and disrupt the defensive unit as little as possible and just make the one change rather than two (switching Taylor to the right and Santon left).

Agree entirely. He looked good, keep him there. Simpson doesn't deserve to be in the side and Taylor does.

Nah, see it as the opposite myself. I reckon he'll be the right back in the long run, but will slot in at LB until we sign someone else for that position.

Aye, possibly, I was thinking more of with the current personnel, can't see us getting another full-back until the summer now I think he'll go with these 3.

Ah right. I agree then :thup: I was on about the long term.

Aye, possibly, I was thinking more of with the current personnel, can't see us getting another full-back until the summer now I think he'll go with these 3.

Ah right. I agree then :thup: I was on about the long term.

And even then, I think it depends on whether we find a good clause/Bosman either side which will determine which side Santon stays, if we find a bargain at right-back which is cheaper than left-back we'll obviously go for that option. :lol:

Just echo what others said, looked good. :thup: In the same boat as Caj', too. Stick him at RB while Raylor is playing adequately. I'd like to think that we'll get a LB in January, but will most probably have to wait until the summer at least.

From .cock:

Davide Santon made his Newcastle debut on Sunday against Tottenham, and paid tribute to his United teammates for helping him settle on Tyneside.

The summer signing from Inter Milan has had to wait more than a month to make his Magpies bow, with the combination of the team's excellent form and a slight knee injury keeping him sidelined.

But Santon came off the bench for the final 13 minutes against Spurs, to help his new employers come from behind to salvage a 2-2 draw at St. James' Park.

And the defender told nufc.co.uk after the final whistle: "I've been waiting, and it is really good to finally get on the pitch.

"It was frustrating having my knee problems so early after I joined the Club, but everyone here was so helpful and supportive. They helped me recover, and even today the rest of the players were there to help.

"Now I just want to do my best, get more games and try to help Newcastle continue our fantastic start to the season."

Santon had his first experience of the St. James' Park faithful too, with close to 45,000 supporters roaring United on to a share of the spoils.

And the full-back was delighted with the reception he got.

"They are fantastic fans," he said. "They cheered when I came on so they are fantastic! They helped us a lot today and the noise they made was very important in helping us get the draw.

"At the beginning there was a lot of pressure, but Shola came on for us to score the equaliser and 2-2 is a really good result."

Agree entirely. He looked good, keep him there. Simpson doesn't deserve to be in the side and Taylor does.

Wow, Ryan Taylor's reputation sure has gone up 'round these parts.  Deserving, competent, adequate.  PLus the set pieces.  Now, if he would just smile every now an again.