Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

False dawn #376.

I am turning into one of 'them' :lol:

I refuse to accept this. You were supposed to be the chosen one!

All hope is lost.

Been far too many "set to sign", "set to meet release clause" "player on strike, will force move to Newcastle" this summer.

Even if he does sign Charlton and Souchaux will win whatever case they have brought against us and we will have to send all our summer singings back.

Hard to be unhappy with this if it comes off.

Young player, clearly has a lot of ability, can play either side which is a massive help considering we have one legitimate full back in our squad, and not a great one at that.

Ideally we'd bring in a left back as well and have the two new boys competing with Simpson for two spots, but if he's the only full back we bring in it could have been far worse.

If they're serious about Ferguson playing left back this would also make sense. (not to say that's the reason they'll have gone for Santon of course, just that it'd be a happy coincidence :lol: )

Hard to be unhappy with this if it comes off.

Young player, clearly has a lot of ability, can play either side which is a massive help considering we have one legitimate full back in our squad, and not a great one at that.

Ideally we'd bring in a left back as well and have the two new boys competing with Simpson for two spots, but if he's the only full back we bring in it could have been far worse.

If they're serious about Ferguson playing left back this would also make sense. (not to say that's the reason they'll have gone for Santon of course, just that it'd be a happy coincidence :lol: )

Some will give it a real good though, I'd imagine.

I am actually quite excited about the prospect of Ferguson at left back. People say he is too small but there is plenty of left backs who are small and Fergie has shown plenty of aggression when required.

Given the emphasis on attack these days also and the extra space full backs get when coming forward he could be quite sexual.

I know a lot just refuse to accept he could be a left back but we have loads of options at left wing now and as said above I really don't think his size is as big an issue that's made out.

I would fancy facing Jonas and Ferguson running at me if I was a right back that's for sure.

I am actually quite excited about the prospect of Ferguson at left back. People say he is too small but there is plenty of left backs who are small and Fergie has shown plenty of aggression when required.

Given the emphasis on attack these days also and the extra space full backs get when coming forward he could be quite sexual.

I know a lot just refuse to accept he could be a left back but we have loads of options at left wing now and as said above I really don't think his size is as big an issue that's made out.

I would fancy facing Jonas and Ferguson running at me if I was a right back that's for sure.

:thup:

As you say, Ferguson has far more chance making it at left-back here than he does further forward, given the competition there. His size would be a concern for me (height as well as strength), but he has shown enough in the games he's played in the first team to make me believe he could grow into the role and become very good there.

I've certainly got no problem with him being considered "backup" in that position, but he might end up needing a loan spell somewhere to get some games under his belt.

Ugly Santon:

http://www1.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Italy+v+Tshwane+XI+Friendly+Match+DIK4_cGOI0Bl.jpg

Good looking Santon (how he looks now):

http://totalfootballmadness.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Davide-Santon-4.jpg