Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

I obviously don't have a clue as to what's really the case, just theorizing as to why left-back might be his preferred position.

Maybe this lad is just bad at crossing and better at cutting inside? If his crosses aren't that accurate anyway there wouldn't be much of an advantage to having him on the right hugging the touchline.

Lee Young-Pyo was one of the best players to ever play for South Korea, and he was a right-footed left-back that was terrible at right-back. He had the same problem: great running with the ball at his feet but not much crossing ability.

Always with the Koreans.

:lol:

Am I the only one who thought he was terrible yesterday?

Often looked like he went missing when balls where played between him and Colo? Wasn't around to prevent either of the crosses for the first 2 goals?

Defensively the lad is horrendous atm.

No. As Sir Bobby would say though, he's one for the future. Painful now, but will be worth it long-term hopefully. Needs some sessions with the defensive coach, goes AWOL a lot.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Positionally he struggles and has no understanding with Jonas. Will get better in time, he's got the physique and technique.

Guest firetotheworks

He was worse than Simpson

Are you kidding?

Definitely not. Defensively he was naive and beaten easily every time. I still believe he'll have what it takes. I don't believe Simpson does.

stop saying he needs to play at right back,  playing on the other side doesn't magically make him into a better defender.

his positional sense was woeful yesterday and that has nothing to do with him being left footed or right footed. 

right now he looks more useful as a winger, and thats where he use to play.

Starting to think he could be a brilliant winger if we ever had the luxury of being able to move him up the pitch, but as it is, he's probably our only real option at left back despite his obvious defensive flaws.

Our defence has looked vulnerable since the Taylors dropped out of the back four. Obviously Steven is a big miss but I really don't think Ryan did too much wrong at left back. As has been commented, I think Santon looks far more at ease at coming forward than defending.

Early days however, for the lad.