Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Needs a rest definately, runs his socks off game in game out too. Tiredness showing, decision making faultering, thought he was still fantastic at times but should have definately squared that ball..suspect at defending at times too

I think he needs a rest - looks exhausted. 

doesn't look exhausted to me, looks like he wonders what the teams defensive plan is. had our forward scored anichibes goal tonight it would've been seen as good movement.

Santon had a stinker, but the second goal was pretty horrendous from the entire team. We didn't respond to losing possession; Perch was miles out of position, as was Williamson, then Santon lost his man.

Santon had a stinker, but the second goal was pretty horrendous from the entire team. We didn't respond to losing possession; Perch was miles out of position, as was Williamson, then Santon lost his man.

the forward always has the advantage in that situation.

Why did he not square it to Cisse was our chance to grab a point.

He's got no left foot to make that square pass.

He can make passes with his left easily. Crossing is another matter but I have seen him use his left to pass instinctively. Far more likely that he thought he was going to score.

Wasn't impossible to make that pass with his right either. He started out as a striker and it sometimes shows, I guess.

Guest palnese

I noticed that Santon didn't even look at Anichebe when he scored. He just came out of nowhere. Piss poor defending.

He can make passes with his left easily. Crossing is another matter but I have seen him use his left to pass instinctively. Far more likely that he thought he was going to score.

If he's going to be our long term left back then he needs to be coached to get outside and cross with his left far more. I've never been a fan of wrong-footed wide players, but it can work as long as the player can use his wrong foot effectively. At the moment Santon doesn't, he cuts inside 9 times out of 10.

Anyone else notice when he lost the ball in the middle of the pitch but just kept running for about 15 yards as if he still had it?

Reminded me of having a kick about with your mates, you try a bit of 'skill' that doesn't come off but you still carry on with the phantom ball and smash it into the net :lol:

Anyone else notice when he lost the ball in the middle of the pitch but just kept running for about 15 yards as if he still had it?

Reminded me of having a kick about with your mates, you try a bit of 'skill' that doesn't come off but you still carry on with the phantom ball and smash it into the net :lol:

its a weird one, and i didnt notice it last year, but when he loses the ball, he never even hints at endeavoring to win it back...tracks back super slow. He is ok defensively but the reason people think he isnt is because when he loses it, he leaves a massive gap behind....

After starting off as one of our best players this season, some of his defending has been woeful of late.  Playing people on side, ball watching, out of position, going off all gung ho and not getting back etc etc.

I really like the guy, one of my favourite players from the current team.  But it makes you wonder what he's being coached?  Same mistakes every week FFS.  Same goes for all of the defence really.

At the risk of sounding like Pardew, he suffered from poor cover by Obertan. He was caught switched off with Anichebe for the second goal. I think he's been brilliant for us this season and I really like the guy, he had a poor game but no one really came out with much credibility last night. He could be such a weapon going forward but we all know the story with that.

If he's going to be our long term left back then he needs to be coached to get outside and cross with his left far more. I've never been a fan of wrong-footed wide players, but it can work as long as the player can use his wrong foot effectively. At the moment Santon doesn't, he cuts inside 9 times out of 10.

Should be back behind after training working on this everyday. His left foot is poor and he knows it hence how he tries his best never to use it.

Colo also didn't make an attempt to stop the cross coming in.

He made the key mistake fro the second goal. I felt we gave away a lot of freekicks in the game but he needed to stop Jelavic by any means.I knew if Jelavic got in the box, they would mpst likely score. If you're CB is in that position and your RB isn't in his place, you will most likely concede.

Santon still should've done better.

Aye, the most annoying thing he does defensively is jog back into position. Often eh just hopes the attack dissipates as the situation often looks potentially dangerous.

Colo does it too at times.

To be fair to them both, where was Perch??? He still was nowhere to be seen when Anichebe put it in the net.

Aye, the most annoying thing he does defensively is jog back into position. Often eh just hopes the attack dissipates as the situation often looks potentially dangerous.

Colo does it too at times.

To be fair to them both, where was Perch??? He still was nowhere to be seen when Anichebe put it in the net.

This. Perch went missing on umpteen occasions last night. He can't play RB at all, we'd be better having him in the middle and putting Anita RB.

I like him and he's still a young guy despite seemingly having been around for years however I'd put a left footed left back on the list for the summer. If Santon wants to play on the left he needs to be developing a left foot. So frustrating seeing him bomb forward and then not be able to do any thing with the ball.