Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

• 1 month later...

He always struck me as a real down to earth kid, obviously he's got a very eccentric personal style, but really like what I hear from him when he speaks to the press - very thoughtful and low-key. Hope he continues to develop for us - he's an immense talent.

Guest reefatoon

Didn't realise his missus was from up here. Guy works fast.

Or more likely she does.

:lol:  Sounds much more likely.

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/417448/Chelsea-boss-Jose-Mourinho-s-regret-over-Newcastle-s-Davide-Santon

Mourinho told FCInterNews.it: “Whenever I find someone who has everything to become a top player and stay in the first team I’ve never held back in giving them a chance.

“I’m talking about Davide Santon who is now at Newcastle.

“Santon has suffered two great [knee injury] misfortunes.

“However, at 17-years-old everybody was saying that he would become for Inter what Paolo Maldini was for AC Milan.”

And Mourinho hinted that he had been frustrated in his attempts to bring young players through during his time at Inter.

He added: “Maybe in Italy they don’t know what is best."

A good coach would have him working massively on his left, his cutting in play is fine aside from a reluctance to shoot but he needs to be able to hit the byline n all to keep the full back guessing, particularly as we've little else on the left hoying in shots. It makes us relatively easy to defend against.

It's one of the reasons I wouldn't averse to Ben Arfa starting wide left and/or us signing another lefty to play there.

It is worrying that our left back is better at taking on players and driving forward than our left midfielder. This lad could really impress next season if we played the right player in front of him.