Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Italian defenders are pretty tough, well the better ones anyway.

Not sure what was seen in him at a young age to think he was a defender.

Especially as he's pretty technically gifted, and could likely have been developed in a number of other positions.

Guest bimpy474

Well i'm not surprised by two out of three :lol:

Am I Santon sympathiser or enabler?

Neither, just not very good at judging football :lol:

Joking by way  :rose:

My honest opinion was that he was put into the side to play some sort of DM role. He did not track Hazard into the box, he let Hazard get the shot away and Hazard scored. He then once again looked OK carrying the ball up the pitch from time to time, again had his standard 0 end-product. His corners, free kicks etc were nothing memorable. He did nothing for me in that role.

He's a LB, and a make-shift RB. Nothing more. None of this play Santon on the wing stuff works for me as he doesn't really put in a good cross, 1 out of his 35 shots look threatening, and he's simply a pretty decent dribbler of the ball before he predictably cuts in side, loses possession and then casually jogs back into defense, where we look caught-out and many times, concede goals.

Guest bimpy474

Well i'm not surprised by two out of three :lol:

Am I Santon sympathiser or enabler?

It's a struggle to defend anyone associated with the club these days. Bimpy on a rampage.

I refer you to my answer to Ian :lol:

Guest bimpy474

In all seriousness i actually think it might not be a bad idea to give him a go in CM, just give him a proper DM to do the defending. Let him help defend but go forward more and as he looked promising imo.

My honest opinion was that he was put into the side to play some sort of DM role. He did not track Hazard into the box, he let Hazard get the shot away and Hazard scored. He then once again looked OK carrying the ball up the pitch from time to time, again had his standard 0 end-product. His corners, free kicks etc were nothing memorable. He did nothing for me in that role.

He's a LB, and a make-shift RB. Nothing more. None of this play Santon on the wing stuff works for me as he doesn't really put in a good cross, 1 out of his 35 shots look threatening, and he's simply a pretty decent dribbler of the ball before he predictably cuts in side, loses possession and then casually jogs back into defense, where we look caught-out and many times, concede goals.

What about the pass to Sissoko?

That 1 pass was nice.

What about the pass to Sissoko?

Majestic!

In all seriousness i actually think it might not be a bad idea to give him a go in CM, just give him a proper DM to do the defending. Let him help defend but go forward more and as he looked promising imo.

That was my feeling as well basically. As a proper holding player he's not that much use as he lacks aggression, can't tackle that well and doesn't work hard enough to track runs. Sounds strange consider he's a fullback.

I can't forgive his awful attempt of a clearance vs Sunderland, or his wayward passing that have led to counter attack goals, and his woeful tracking. He's in the side to play LB or RB or DM, he needs to do that shit. He doesn't do that well, had 1 good ball - that doesn't justify or make "better" anything else for me.

He should be miles better based on his size, pace and technical ability but his mental lapses are costly...they lead to goals, and at the moment we aren't scoring any goals to nullify those mistakes.

Guest bimpy474

That was my feeling as well basically. As a proper holding player he's not that much use as he lacks aggression, can't tackle that well and doesn't work hard enough to track runs. Sounds strange consider he's a fullback.

Well playing him there will soon see if he can pick that stuff up. He's young and learning, you never know it could work out quite well. Clutching at straws as i maybe.

Guest bimpy474

I think the most frustrating part is that the majority agree he's got something, I really think he has the tools to succeed but he's regressing and its worrying. He's a very elegant footballer, adn one who can pick a pass and has decent feet.

Impossible, Pardew told us not one player has got worse under him, they have all improved.

I think the most frustrating part is that the majority agree he's got something, I really think he has the tools to succeed but he's regressing and its worrying. He's a very elegant footballer, adn one who can pick a pass and has decent feet.

Impossible, Pardew told us not one player has got worse under him, they have all improved.

You just can't help yourself, Bimpy :lol:

Guest bimpy474

You just can't help yourself, Bimpy :lol:

I never said it like, Pardle did :lol: