Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

Guest Randy Savage

Is he genuinely two footed, or two footed going by Steve Bruce's assessment method i.e. He can pass it five yards with his left foot. Bardsley is two footed according to Bruce, despite not being able to cross with his left and unwillingness to overlap.

Mind, I suppose Coloccini would vouch for Bardo being good with two feet. That was a shocker of a tackle admittedly. Mind, Cabaye's wasn't much better!

Is he genuinely two footed, or two footed going by Steve Bruce's assessment method i.e. He can pass it five yards with his left foot. Bardsley is two footed according to Bruce, despite not being able to cross with his left and unwillingness to overlap.

Mind, I suppose Coloccini would vouch for Bardo being good with two feet. That was a shocker of a tackle admittedly. Mind, Cabaye's wasn't much better!

Not quite in the same leg breaking league as Bardsley's though!  I actually quite rate him TBF, but since his Man U days he has been going round smashing people, really aggressive player and often flies into challenges.  Not at Cattermole's level of lumping the shit out of anything that moves yet though.

For me, Santon being a right footed left back isn't a problem. It is having a right footed left back behind a right footed left winger that is the problem.

Personally believe Marveaux will become our first-choice left-midfielder. Can still see Jonas switching to the right.

What will then become the problem is two attack-minded players on the same side...

Guest Randy Savage

Not quite in the same leg breaking league as Bardsley's though!  I actually quite rate him TBF, but since his Man U days he has been going round smashing people, really aggressive player and often flies into challenges.  Not at Cattermole's level of lumping the s*** out of anything that moves yet though.

No, it wasn't quite as bad, but not far off. Had Bardsley's foot been planted in the turf, his leg could've been broken easily however.

Bardo is a tough tackler, but rarely goes in two footed or over the ball. Cattermole is a loose cannon, who has a reputation. He has got a bit better at refraining from tackles once booked, but usually plays s*** as a result. Once the red mist descends, he loses the plot completely and there is no going back. Colback is starting to show Cattermole up now. JC puts his foot in, but in a more controlled manner, and passes the ball neatly. Likes to get forward when he can too and great at creating a bit of space for himself in tight spots.

If he wasn't a Bruce favourite, Cattermole would've been ousted from the team.

Going slightly off topic Randy, but Sessegnon and Colback were the only two of your players that impressed me at the SOS this season.  Colback looked bang average for Ipswich, both times we played them in the CCC, but I guess he was pretty young then.

Cattermole is a disgrace TBH, cannot believe he is your captain  :lol: :idiot2:

Sure someone on here said they thought he seemed extremely one footed?

I think they were just going off yootooooobe vids like so I doubt it held much weight. I do imagine though, that if the lad has been singled out by pretty much everyone as a "right footed left-back" that he isn't 100% 2 footed. His right must clearly be the strongest.

Guest Randy Savage

Going slightly off topic Randy, but Sessegnon and Colback were the only two of your players that impressed me at the SOS this season.  Colback looked bang average for Ipswich, both times we played them in the CCC, but I guess he was pretty young then.

Cattermole is a disgrace TBH, cannot believe he is your captain  :lol: :idiot2:

Sess is a lovely footballer like.

JC was just a bairn at Ipswich, in a struggling side, but he got one of their player of the year awards and the Ipswich fans wanted to keep him.

I thought our defense was pretty solid in the derby, and nullified NUFC from open play, although we did get ourselves into bother by overplaying (Brown) and giving stupid fouls away (Cattermole).

The likes of Cattermole, Bardsley, Larsson (great crosses though) et al are decent PL players but nowt special. Gyan is an enigma but Bruce needs to use him properly. He is not a target man. Brown has been excellent and seemed to be forming a good partnership with Baby Rio so I was surprised when Anton left, although it was pretty obvious Bruce never rated him.

We are what we are, a mid table side that requires an injection of real quality to go higher.

Forgive my non-religious following of NUFC PR lately, but has there been any credible indication from the club/management to suggest Santon will start on Monday and oust either Simpson or Raylor?

No, but why would there be?

No reason, just curious as to whether there had been any suggestion he was definitely part of first team plans.

ALAN PARDEW says he is yet to make a decision whether to start Italian ace Davide Santon at Queens Park Rangers on Monday night. Pardew must first wait to see if stand-in left-back Ryan Taylor will be available for the trip. The Scouser revealed, after scoring the winner at Sunderland, that he had dedicated the goal to 'the bump' with his partner due to give birth in the coming days. Taylor - who has been elevated to Geordie folklore status after that free-kick at the Stadium of Light - has earned the right to start against the Rs after some solid performances which made him a candidate for the Planet Trophies and Evening Chronicle's player of the month award. But Pardew, right, hinted that Taylor and Danny Simpson could start the game at Loftus Road. He said of Santon today: 'He will be considered.'I am not going to say now whether he will make his debut because the two full-backs have done great in the first three games. Davide will have to wait for his chance, and when he gets it, he must take it. 'But obviously he is a good player and he wants to further his career.' Santon played 90 minutes of the Italian Under-21 side's 3-0 win over Hungary this week.

From the Chronicle.

Guest Rainforest

Starting Raylor over Santon would be a crime against humanity. Even not having trained with the team at all, Santon is so massively superior both offensively and defensively that it really doesnt matter.

I hope this is just politically correct coach-talk..

Would be like signing Edin Hazard in place of Routledge and say " Well Wayne has done well and Edin have to fight for his spot like everyone else".  Yes he has to but 10 minutes on the training field would have you convinced one is massively superior to the other.

Starting Raylor over Santon would be a crime against humanity. Even not having trained with the team at all, Santon is so massively superior both offensively and defensively that it really doesnt matter.

I hope this is just politically correct coach-talk..

Yeah, Pardew has to say that everyone has a chance, Raylor has the shirt to lose etc etc, but there's no doubt Santon will replace him.

Whether it's in the next game depends on how he's feeling and settling into training I suppose.

Guest Rainforest

Well after playing Manchester United in the champions league and schooling Ronaldo as a teenager, I think he has matured enough to handle a championship side now.  Given his track record, you could argue that even starting him against QPR would be an insult. Not starting him? :lol: well

Hard to drop Raylor TBF, think he's done an ok job in the circumstances and scored two important goals.  If anyone is to be dropped, it's Simpson, shift Raylor across to right back and put Santon at left back.  If he doesn't start I will be spitting feathers I tell you!

Hard to drop Raylor TBF, think he's done an ok job in the circumstances and scored two important goals.  If anyone is to be dropped, it's Simpson, shift Raylor across to right back and put Santon at left back.  If he doesn't start I will be spitting feathers I tell you!

"We are trying to bring in another left-back, but he will have to be a good one to take Ryan out of the team."

Or how about keeping Taylor on the left, and putting Santon at RB?  :frantic:

Hard to drop Raylor TBF, think he's done an ok job in the circumstances and scored two important goals.  If anyone is to be dropped, it's Simpson, shift Raylor across to right back and put Santon at left back.  If he doesn't start I will be spitting feathers I tell you!

I don't think it should be hard to drop Taylor. He's done the job asked of him manfully but he's still a very limited player who won't offer any of the options Santon does. We've missed Jose's ability to bring the ball out of defence and Santon will give us that again. Get him in.