Rate our summer transfer window

High Five o
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I thought Pardew had already said he was going to play HBA off the striker?

theres off the striker and theres what aboult the rest. he could play off the striker with someone else or with the basic midfiled four behind him.

Obertan/Marv Cabaye Tiote Jonas

Hba

Ba

Not too bad?

Think we'll finish 8th. Window gets a 7.

Nolan - couldn't care less, Barton - it's a loss in a sense but we'll play differently without him. Would have preferred him to see out his contract mainly for his attitude on the pitch, Enrique - Gutted but was inevitable, Routledge - a player who will never make a mark in the PL, Xisco - ......, Forster - clears the way for Krul to dominate him, it's quite obvious who the better keeper is.

Cabaye - Will be instrumental in how we play, the main driving force forwards along with Ben Arfa, Obertan - think he will collect us a number of points in games simply through his pace on the break, I like him, Marveaux - obviously hasn't started his nufc career properly yet but he's a quality player and will show this off, Santon - I've only seen clips but the talent is obvious, Ba - Absolutely positive that he'll make an impact and score between ten and twelve PL goals, Abeid - very quick feet, very tidy technique, will step up at some point.

We don't have the striker we need, thank fuck we didn't sign Macheda. It's a joke we didn't get a striker in but the men at the top care only about not being ripped off in transfers. They should have realised that you're only getting signings for top end money on deadline day. We should have addressed our striking issues as soon as possible and should have done everything possible to get Loven out of the club, I include Shola in this bracket too as he will continue to hold us down like a dead weight. One of our strikers needs to come through with the goals, if not we're in a bad position but Ben Arfa (when fit) will make a massive difference here, Ba has proven his whole career that he's a goalscorer and I've always rated Best as a goalscorer. Window gets a seven

The bolded bit I have serious issues with. Why do we constantly make stupid bids on the last day when we know fine well that there is no mileage in them?

So we don't have to buy anyone? :shifty:

Guest Wally_McFool

Reading some of the posts on here makes me think of Neville Chamberlain waving his piece of paper about.

Yawn.

;D

:gm's dummy:

Annoyed we didn't get a better striker in, but overall, 6.5.

How can you rate the transfer window a 6,5 when our squad is arguably weaker than it was a year ago and we have made a huge profit on transfers in that period?

Because I think we've replaced Enrique with quality, replaced Nolan & Barton with quality, signed a striker but could have done with another, and signed people like Obertan to beafen up the numbers. Nowhere near the doom and gloom you'd think people would make out.

Ah honestly f*** this s***. Don't enjoy this forum anymore. Bunch of depressing bastards. f*** off.

I don't really understand why not? If you believe in what we are doing then you should have no problem explaining why. I never believed in signing Kevin Nolan even when he was a hero here but I believed in what I said and so had no problem with arguing my case.

I believe we do some things right, and I try to argue my point as well as possible. But it does seem totally pointless sometimes, and I'm being made to feel like some sort of imbecile or not a proper fan for putting my point of view.

I can understand what Nut is saying, I'm close to not bothering coming on here anymore. No offence to anyone personally, there's just enough reasonable chat to keep me going, but I know the feeling.

Ian man, you get grief because you dont say reasons of annoyance without explaining why you potentially understand whats happened or listing off all the other positives of the situation.

Most people react to the singular event, having accepted all the previous positives that have been before it.

Its ok to just feel annoyed about something without balancing that out constantly, its only temporary & quite normal.

How can you rate the transfer window a 6,5 when our squad is arguably weaker than it was a year ago and we have made a huge profit on transfers in that period?

Because I think we've replaced Enrique with quality, replaced Nolan & Barton with quality, signed a striker but could have done with another, and signed people like Obertan to beafen up the numbers. Nowhere near the doom and gloom you'd think people would make out.

Ah honestly f*** this s***. Don't enjoy this forum anymore. Bunch of depressing bastards. f*** off.

I don't really understand why not? If you believe in what we are doing then you should have no problem explaining why. I never believed in signing Kevin Nolan even when he was a hero here but I believed in what I said and so had no problem with arguing my case.

I believe we do some things right, and I try to argue my point as well as possible. But it does seem totally pointless sometimes, and I'm being made to feel like some sort of imbecile or not a proper fan for putting my point of view.

I can understand what Nut is saying, I'm close to not bothering coming on here anymore. No offence to anyone personally, there's just enough reasonable chat to keep me going, but I know the feeling.

Ian man, you get grief because you dont say reasons of annoyance without explaining why you potentially understand whats happened or listing off all the other positives of the situation.

Most people react to the singular event, having accepted all the previous positives that have been before it.

Its ok to just feel annoyed about something without balancing that out constantly, its only temporary & quite normal.

Wow, someone's getting good use out of their  "Psychology for Dummies" library rental. :p

I thought Pardew had already said he was going to play HBA off the striker?

theres off the striker and theres what aboult the rest. he could play off the striker with someone else or with the basic midfiled four behind him.

Obertan/Marv Cabaye Tiote Jonas

Hba

Ba

Not too bad?

to me it wouldn't get the best out of ben arfa, would waste merveaux and wouldn't, most importantly get the best out the squad.

Guest CaPiTaL cHaP

I think people are expecting HBA's presence to guarantee goals. Can't see how tbh, he'll always be the kind of player that would do well with a forward in front of him who has good movement and pulls the defence around a bit opening up space for him. However we just have 3 lumps in Ba/Best/Ameobi and Lovenkrands.

We now have a forward line who will need service from the wings, crosses is what they will need. Well, Marveux put in a good ball against Scunny, lets hope he can hoy in around 10 a game. With any luck we should score enough to stay out of trouble. That's good enough because anyone who thinks the club as it is currently has any footballing ambition is listening to their heart rather than their head.

Nolan - couldn't care less, Barton - it's a loss in a sense but we'll play differently without him. Would have preferred him to see out his contract mainly for his attitude on the pitch, Enrique - Gutted but was inevitable, Routledge - a player who will never make a mark in the PL, Xisco - ......, Forster - clears the way for Krul to dominate him, it's quite obvious who the better keeper is.

Cabaye - Will be instrumental in how we play, the main driving force forwards along with Ben Arfa, Obertan - think he will collect us a number of points in games simply through his pace on the break, I like him, Marveaux - obviously hasn't started his nufc career properly yet but he's a quality player and will show this off, Santon - I've only seen clips but the talent is obvious, Ba - Absolutely positive that he'll make an impact and score between ten and twelve PL goals, Abeid - very quick feet, very tidy technique, will step up at some point.

We don't have the striker we need, thank fuck we didn't sign Macheda. It's a joke we didn't get a striker in but the men at the top care only about not being ripped off in transfers. They should have realised that you're only getting signings for top end money on deadline day. We should have addressed our striking issues as soon as possible and should have done everything possible to get Loven out of the club, I include Shola in this bracket too as he will continue to hold us down like a dead weight. One of our strikers needs to come through with the goals, if not we're in a bad position but Ben Arfa (when fit) will make a massive difference here, Ba has proven his whole career that he's a goalscorer and I've always rated Best as a goalscorer. Window gets a seven

Good post.

Maybe a six in total. A striker and it would have been eight. If Bendnar to the makems is taken into account maybe drop that to five and a half. First 11 looks fine, but there's not a lot below that.

I've not read all of this thread but the biggest pluses are Colo and Tiote not being sold.

If Ashley simply wants to sell the club, a summer with no big money spent is maybe the best way forward. I just hope there is someone out there with the means and desire to move the club forward.

Good post.

Finishing 8th. :lol:

Behave. We'd need to keep everyone fit for the entirety of the season for that to happen.

I don't really get what you mean, are you saying I should go mad about individual negatives and deliberately ignore the bigger picture?

Sorry, it's late.

:sadnod:There are 3 types of posters on this section of the board like imo (although I think oretty much everyone wants Ashley gone providing we get a better replacement), those dead set against the 'regime' and will highlight everything bad and ignore the good for the most part, those who will swing backwards and forwards along with each individual event or 'catalyst' (the majority), and those who seem to put a positive spin on everything. I wouldn't say the latter was 'pro-Ashley', or an 'Ashley apologist' they just don't seem to want to view the decisions as damaging to the club.

Nobody can realy claim to be wrong or right, but the few in the first and third categories are always liable to be in the thick of the argument, or feel like people are "getting at them" due to there 'one sided' view point. Whether right or wrong.

As an example i've went from "give him a chance/see if he spends the money" to "he's a cunt, someone kill him" over the past 6 months or so. Others have been in the "kill the cunt" camp for years, and others are currently (and always have been) in the "he's running the club in a sensible maner/he's having to be astute because of the previous owners/the players left because they were (greedy/shit/bad for morale) etc"

Some of that will be sensationalist like, and I'll not name names but I think it's pretty obvios for the most part.

Guest magpie99

It has been a good window frfom the point of view that we have:

signed some good players for way below their market value

New players are younger and hungry for success

New players are more skillful and talented

Players who have left were money hungry and limited and expensive

We will play a better standard of football

The debt owed to the owner is diminishing

Money will be avaailable in january if the need arises

We are not being held to ransom by greedy players and agents

Once new players gell, you will see such a change in our football

Kids are being given a chance

It has been a good window frfom the point of view that we have:

signed some good players for way below their market value

New players are younger and hungry for success

New players are more skillful and talented

Players who have left were money hungry and limited and expensive

We will play a better standard of football

The debt owed to the owner is diminishing

Money will be avaailable in january if the need arises

We are not being held to ransom by greedy players and agents

Once new players gell, you will see such a change in our football

Kids are being given a chance

Have to agree with all of these positive points expect the money being available in January.  I'll believe that when I see it.  The other points though are spot on.  I'm excited to see the kind of football we'll be playing in a few months once all of the players in the squad start to gel and figure each other out.

I suppose we can console ourselves with the fact that most clubs at our level have had pretty unremarkable transfer windows as well.

The only mid-table club that's significantly stronger than last year is Stoke City.

We can still compete decently enough despite standing still.

I read the poll question:

Question: Was the £35m well invested?

and rated it a 1.

Net spend of £600k = 1.7% of the £35m so from that point of view we've 're-invested' bollock all.

Cabaye and Santon look like decent signings but considering our outgoings and our never ending striking deficiencies it feels like we've stood still at best.

Davide Santon - 5.3M

Yohan Cabaye - 5M ?

Demba Ba - Free

Sylvain Marveaux - Free

Gabriel Obertan - 3M ?

I think the 35M from Carroll skew people's perspective. We are, falsely, under the impression that we must spend whatever cash we have.

If we disregard the Carroll sale, comparing our squad pre and after the summer, I would say we have had an excellent transfer window.

All the players we purchase are young with sell on value. Demba ba is free. Could we have done better, maybe we could purchase a new striker ? But look around the strikers being traded this summer, have we missed any trick ?

We can't afford expensive players like Aguero, we should not buy Crouch at the price. We could have perhaps loaned Bendtner, but, who else ?

We clearly have tried to purchase some strikers from the French market. We did not manage to complete the deal, ultimately. But clearly the club does know and try to address the problem.