Chronicle Questions

mattypnufc

Q13: Why was Joey Barton allowed to go?

By Evening Chronicle

Sep 10 2011

Add a comment

Recommend

inShare

Why was Joey Barton allowed to leave for free and join a club that could be considered to be a rival in the Premier League?

JOEY'S a big character and a talented player, which is why we supported him from the moment he came to Newcastle, in spite of the difficulties he faced in his first two seasons here.

In January 2011, we were keen to offer Joey a new contract because we wanted to keep him at the club.  We offered him what we considered to be a great deal but unfortunately Joey chose not to accept it.

We felt we couldn’t improve on that offer and therefore would need to consider selling. However with a transfer fee attached we received no formal interest from any club. We eventually made a decision to release Joey on a free transfer after well-publicised differences between the club and the player couldn’t be resolved. We wish Joey all the best at Queens Park Rangers and look forward to seeing him on Monday for our fixture at Loftus Road.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/09/10/q13-why-was-joey-barton-allowed-to-go-72703-29393436/#ixzz1XXoMMqw9

I still would be interested to know what exactly happend on the day we played Leeds in pre-season.

It was ok till that day. Joey was even captaining the side in pre-season before Colo was announced captain. Only after the Leeds game he really started against the club on twitter and the day that after he was transfer listed for free.

Would really be interested to know that happened behind the scenes that day. Probably he was told he would be transfer listed for free the next day by Llambias/Pardew?

Well, as Joey has said, there will be a time and a place to tell it all..... I only wonder when it will finally be. Probably in his authobiography to make some money with it.

I think it would be more to do with Barton acting like a spoilt brat when he was taken off set pieces and lost the captaincy.  I wouldn't put it past them, but I doubt he would be told he was being released of a free on the day of a game.  Surely that happened as a result of what happened on the Saturday.

By Evening Chronicle

Sep 10 2011

Add a comment

Recommend

inShare

Why was Joey Barton allowed to leave for free and join a club that could be considered to be a rival in the Premier League?

JOEY'S a big character and a talented player, which is why we supported him from the moment he came to Newcastle, in spite of the difficulties he faced in his first two seasons here.

In January 2011, we were keen to offer Joey a new contract because we wanted to keep him at the club.  We offered him what we considered to be a great deal but unfortunately Joey chose not to accept it.

We felt we couldn’t improve on that offer and therefore would need to consider selling. However with a transfer fee attached we received no formal interest from any club. We eventually made a decision to release Joey on a free transfer after well-publicised differences between the club and the player couldn’t be resolved. We wish Joey all the best at Queens Park Rangers and look forward to seeing him on Monday for our fixture at Loftus Road.

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/09/10/q13-why-was-joey-barton-allowed-to-go-72703-29393436/#ixzz1XXoMMqw9

I still would be interested to know what exactly happend on the day we played Leeds in pre-season.

It was ok till that day. Joey was even captaining the side in pre-season before Colo was announced captain. Only after the Leeds game he really started against the club on twitter and the day that after he was transfer listed for free.

Would really be interested to know that happened behind the scenes that day. Probably he was told he would be transfer listed for free the next day by Llambias/Pardew?

Well, as Joey has said, there will be a time and a place to tell it all..... I only wonder when it will finally be. Probably in his authobiography to make some money with it.

I think it would be more to do with Barton acting like a spoilt brat when he was taken off set pieces and lost the captaincy.  I wouldn't put it past them, but I doubt he would be told he was being released of a free on the day of a game.  Surely that happened as a result of what happened on the Saturday.

I won't believe he was that angry because he was taken off set pieces - in a friendly -  where we probably just wanted to see how Cabaye could do them.

I won't believe either that he'd react the way he did because of the captaincy issue, only days after backing Coloccini via twitter and the papers.

So Ashley is unhappy with fans getting on his back?  Stop making idiotic decisions then!  Stop plastering the ground with crap for a start.

They've got some fucking nerve bringing up the issue of turnover when vast swathes of our advertising space is being given away for free to promote his cheap tat.

By Evening Chronicle

Sep 10 2011

Add a comment

Recommend

inShare

I won't believe he was that angry because he was taken off set pieces - in a friendly -  where we probably just wanted to see how Cabaye could do them.

I won't believe either that he'd react the way he did because of the captaincy issue, only days after backing Coloccini via twitter and the papers.

He's an egotist.  I think he's exactly the sort of play who goes in a huff because he's missing out on something.

Guest Roger Kint

we're not gonna receive a transfer fee for Alan Smith, and he contributes f*** all, unlike Barton.  So why wasn't he released too?

because noone wanted him even for free

And because the following sentence after the bolded bit actually explains why

Some decent answers surrounded by some of the usual shit. I definitely think they know they're wrong in some instances, but are stretching the answers as far as they can go. Anyway, I appreciated that they did this, they really didn't have to, even if half of the answers look like old club statements.

Mike Ashley will only sell Toon if 'an incredible offer comes in' says Llambias

Mike-Ashley-Newcastle cropped

Newcastle managing director Derek Llambias has insisted Mike Ashley has no intention of selling the club - unless he is made an offer he cannot refuse.

The sportswear magnate has twice unsuccessfully tried to offload the business he bought for £134.4million back in May 2007, but has since embarked upon a blueprint to make it self-sufficient, a policy which has not gone down well with his critics.

Supporters who expected the £35million the Magpies raked in when they sold Andy Carroll to Liverpool in January to be invested in marquee signings this summer have been disappointed, and the strained relationship with the hierarchy has grown ever more toxic.

However, answering fans' questions submitted by the city's evening newspaper, the Evening Chronicle, Llambias revealed that Ashley, who has invested a total of around £280million in the club, has no plans to sell up.

He said: "Mike Ashley has no intention of putting the club up for sale. He is still extremely passionate about strengthening the club and making it a real success.

"We are balancing the books and getting the finances in order, but there's plenty more work to be done and he's committed to doing that for the long-term.

"That said, it's worth going back to the analogy of the house that's not for sale. If suddenly an incredible offer comes in, he may have to consider it.

"From time to time we are approached by people claiming to have an interest in buying the club. Our message to them is clear: buy a box for a commitment of five-seasons and then we will know you are serious. No-one's taken us up on that offer."

However, Llambias also hinted that the anger which has been directed at the regime has done little to encourage Ashley to pour more cash into Newcastle.

He said: "Criticism is part and parcel of the job, abuse is not. This makes life uncomfortable and certainly doesn't make Mike feel more inclined to put his hand once again in his pocket.

"That's not stubbornness, it's human nature. I think most of us would feel exactly the same."

Much of the ire from supporters surrounds the club's summer recruitment policy, which saw Kevin Nolan, Jose Enrique and Joey Barton leave after failing to agree new contracts and seven new signings arrive, but not the striker on whom both manager Alan Pardew and the Toon Army had set their hearts.

Llambias said: "It was everyone's desire at the club to bring in a striker. We worked hard to make that happen, but ultimately couldn't complete a deal that we had hoped to."

Asked further where the Carroll money had gone, Llambias replied: "We made it clear when we sold Andy that the fee we received would stay in the club, and it has.

"The money will be spent prudently within the club and on new players as and when we are in a position to do so. We didn't promise to spend all the money in this window.

"Money will be available going forward, for the right player at the right time. If the club had been able to move on other transfer targets this summer, then more money would have been spent."

However, Llambias, who revealed that wages will account for around 65 per cent of turnover this season, seven per cent up on last season, confirmed that the days when the Magpies could sign players like Alan Shearer and Michael Owen are over.

He said: "The days of Newcastle United acquiring 'trophy' signings who command huge salaries for past successes on the pitch are over.

"Yes, they have generated excitement and anticipation in the past, but ultimately many of them have left the club poorer and with little to show for it in terms of our standing in the league."

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newcastle-Mike-Ashley-only-sell-if-incredible-offer-Derek-Llambias-article796767.html#ixzz1XYXlDp1S

I also like how the basis of pretty much the whole thing is that they're supposedly trying to get to the point at which the club pays its own way, and yet he's also warning that if the nasty songs about 'Mike' continue that he won't spend any more money. :idiot2:

While I've made the same point myself a few times, I think it was a mistake for Llambias to say it publicly. Obviously if an owner thinks he's hated by the fans he's not going to feel like spending his own money on the club. But to say that openly is frankly stupid. It makes you look petty and it's not the image a professional businessman should want to display. It's probably the only answer I think was a bad one, the rest were fairly decent.

Guest johnson293

Yes, we said repeatedly that Andy Carroll was not for sale. On reflection perhaps we should have chosen our words more carefully. We had no intention of selling Andy Carroll.

If I can draw an analogy: My house is not for sale. In fact you could offer me twice what it is worth and it would still not be for sale because it has a personal value to me right now that is greater than twice the price. But if someone knocks on my door with a truly extraordinary figure, a sum which I had never imagined would be offered, then there comes a time when I have to seriously consider it.

The same is true in football. We could not have imagined when we rejected offers for Andy of £25m and £30m that any bid in excess of that would be tabled. And that was our position in January: do we continue stubbornly to refuse to sell at any price, or is the offer now so high that it deserves serious consideration. The fee offered was a deal too good to turn down.

While it may actually be true of most players at most clubs anyway, it was a nice touch of Derek to put that out there 'official' like.... make us a crazy offer, and we'll consider it.  :rolleyes:

:troll:

Guest VaVaVoom

I think all the answers were fait enough to be honest.

I for one wont forget the shit they have done to this club but if we are moving forward financially then it puts everything else into perspective.

There is no getting away from the fact we didnt get the striker we needed but we cant dwell on that. We did make 7 good signings and i do think we are a better team/squad for it.

Cant wait to see the figures when they come out. When is it?

If what they say about becoming financially self-sufficient is true then it can only be a good thing, and their right about it being pointless to go down the route of throwing large contracts at aging stars like we did with Owen. A lot of the answers are articulate and hard to argue with.

However it's hard to gauge the sincerity behind them given their history and this will always be their problem. The best they can hope for is a gradual thawing of relations if we continue to improve year upon year, Ashley will never get the unconditional love I think he craves from the fans. At the minute we have a stand off between the two with him saying love me and i'll spend and us saying spend and we'll love you.

but a section of supporters don’t make him feel welcome at St James’ Park, or when he attends away games. Criticism is part and parcel of the job, abuse is not. This makes life uncomfortable and certainly doesn’t make Mike feel more inclined to put his hand once again in his pocket. That’s not stubbornness, it’s human nature. I think most of us would feel exactly the same

Haha unbelievable. Stop chanting about mike or else!

That there sums up the childishness of the man. So utterly pathetic, it pisses me off so much. You do the things he has done (and continue's to do) and dont expect any abuse? What a sad, sad man.

Those answers are fair to football clubs with little income, on the brink of bankruptcy with a wealth of striking talent.

Fact is, we're a club with alot of money coming in and very little being spent, without the talent to be able to hum and har over upping offers on strikers by a couple of extra quid.