QPR 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 12/09/11 - Post-match reaction from page 53

Dave

Good result last night I thought considering they're on a up after their new signings and the crowd were right behind them. We were a bit lucky to get away with a point but was really pleased with how the defence played, especially Saylor and Simpson.

We offered nothing going forward but with our current attacking options we are going to have games like that, especially away from home. We need to make sure we grind out results, as we did.

Thought Tiote was OK. Had some terrible moments but also some great ones which reminded me of last season. Sometimes I wish he'd release the ball earlier but this is perhaps due to a lack of movement/options around him.

Hopefully we'll see more of Ba and Marveaux in the next game.

think if you play two central midfielders who like to sit deep you have to link with the attack and offer support in other ways - get the wingers to move inside, push up, make that final pass and get on the end of hold-up play - something neither Jonas or Obertan seemed inclined to do. Course if they're busy doing that then you need the full-backs to provide natural width in attack (the two CMs can then cover for them) - not going to happen with Raylor and Simpson.

Also ideally need one of the strikers to be able to drop back, control the ball and act as something of a creative fulcrum - well that's the last thing you'll get from Best and especially Ameobi. Need Ben Arfa for that.

seemed like we were asking tiote and cabaye to do a massive job, and one they were unused to, in terms of advancing with the ball and trying to make runs upfield. in the end they both looked lost and dominated by inferior players.

Would line up like this ideally

--------------Best----------

Jonas--------HBA-----Marveaux

---------Cabaye---Tiote

think if you play two central midfielders who like to sit deep you have to link with the attack and offer support in other ways - get the wingers to move inside, push up, make that final pass and get on the end of hold-up play - something neither Jonas or Obertan seemed inclined to do. Course if they're busy doing that then you need the full-backs to provide natural width in attack (the two CMs can then cover for them) - not going to happen with Raylor and Simpson.

Also ideally need one of the strikers to be able to drop back, control the ball and act as something of a creative fulcrum - well that's the last thing you'll get from Best and especially Ameobi. Need Ben Arfa for that.

seemed like we were asking tiote and cabaye to do a massive job, and one they were unused to, in terms of advancing with the ball and trying to make runs upfield. in the end they both looked lost and dominated by inferior players.

Would line up like this ideally

--------------Best----------

Jonas--------HBA-----Marveaux

---------Cabaye---Tiote

Although i like that i'm not sure about having 2 right footed players on the left side, both cutting in to play a ball.

I understand why Pardew started with Raylor on the left side, but Pardew should have taken him off before half time. Pardew needs to grow a pair of balls because decisions like that will cost us points. Someone need to wake up Ameobi before matches because he was sleepwalking out there, did he even do anything in the first half? Our midfield was over runned, Best didnt get any help from ameobi when he had the ball. It is a no brainer that you need to sub. Ameobi when he is playing like that, IMO we should have put on another midfielder in the first half because we were over runned in that area.

Krul 7 - A couple of good saves.

Simpson 5 - doesnt seem to have a understanding with Obertan

Saylor 8 - Very good and important save on the line. I dont think he is the new Einstein though(see yellowcard situation)

Collo 8 - Very good

Raylor 2  - Our weakest link, QPR tried to take advantage of it. Lucky for us their finishing wasnt there today.

Jonas 6 - Had to cover to much for Raylor, looked tired at the end.

Cabaye 6 - Being left to much in-between. Looks class on the ball, but need to get an understanding with Tiote

Tiote 5 - He doesnt look like the player from last year. Has he got a new position/instrucs.

Obertan 5 - Good first 20 min, then he just went out of the game

Shola 3 - Why bother?

Best 5 - Had some class touches

Ba 5 - Looked hungry.

Was it just me or was their pitch really tiny? Seemed hardly any distance at all between the box and centre circle, could be why the midfield was so congested.

R. Taylor was shite, yes, but I felt sorry for him. If Santon was fit enough for the bench, why wasn't he fit enough to either a) start or b) at least come on and try to improve that area instead of playing an already mediocre player out of position?

We were definitely second best today

Krul 6.5 Not much to do.

Simmo 5.5 poor going forward, little understanding with Obertan though the fault for that may lie with the latter.

Saylor 7 Lost his man a few times but fortunately we were unpunished. Combative and rarely beaten

Colo 7 Similar to above

Raylor 5 Thought he was abit of a weak link and exploited at the back. SWP got free many times.

Obertan 5 Yet to impress on the right, some nice touches but nothing constructive

Tiote 6.5 Second season syndrome? losing the ball alot this season

Cabaye 6 Pretty non-existent

Jonas 6.5 Looked totally shagged towards the end. Alot of running but little time on the ball.

Ameobi 5 Shite, no reason he should of started today

Best 7.5 No service at all today. Fantastic touch for his shot on 10 minutes or so. Decent presence up front but didn't get nito many scoring positions.

In hindsight like we should have seen this coming. The fullbacks and wingers we put out are simply not up to the task of playing a traditional 4-4-2 gameplan, which is what we tried.

Obertan is average, he may improve, but as of now he's an average Premiership winger at best. I was happy when we signed him as I saw him as an outlet of pace to come on against tired legs. I didn't expect him to replace Barton though, who is lightyears ahead in terms of tallent.

Jonas is a great asset but he needs movement around him and a good full back to link up with. He was never going to get that with Ryan Taylor behind him and 2 strikers who like to sit high.

Danny Simpson is just poor going forward all together.

Ryan Taylor is just Ryan Taylor.

Add this to the fact we opted to play 2 target men up front, and Tiote is giving the ball away for fun this season, and we never realy had a hope of making the ball stick on the ground.

Guest johnson293

Look at the positives.  4th for whats its worth, 3 clean shits and most people agree we have not clicked yet.

Alot to improve on which is very encouraging.

We must drop Raylor and Shola, and go 4-5-1 IMO if we are to extract the best out of the team.

I agree with that to an extent - however, while we have kept clean sheets, some of it has been down to the opposition not taking chances, such as the Sunderland game (first half) and last night.

I hope we are learning from it, as I think teams like Man Utd & City will be pretty ruthless in front of goal, and save for a decent forward up front for QPR, we could have been buried by half time.

It was an abominable performance. Looked like school boy stuff at times from some people. The decision to start Raylor was just outrageous. Anyone who think Santon wouldn't have performed better is a tit. A tit with a really ugly nipple with a couple of hairs on it. Shola CANNOT start any more games. And Obertan has done enough in the past few games to shout out "Play Marveaux on the right instead of me".

Subs were terrible, long ball was terrible, Tiote was terrible, no structure, fluidity, no apparent plan. Really bad. Got a point though and clean sheet, positives to tak eout I suppose, but we really should be playing better than that and the reasons we didn't were mostly tactical.

Yes it was a poor performance and yes we should be going to places like that and picking up wins HOWEVER last night was their party night what with all the buzz around about Fernandes and the new players making their debuts. And to an extent we pretty much spoiled their party. You could sense by the atmosphere even on the telly that they were totally up for it.

Yeah we've got 'issues' mainly Shola being shite, Raylor not being a left back and Tiote being off the boil but at the end of the day we came away with a point from a game that was so important to them.

Worrisome game. Hopefully just an off day, but these sort of performances I worry will convince Pardew not to mess with the defence and effectively have Tiote and Cabaye stuck in almost holding midfielder positions, lest we start conceeding. If we could keep the ball further up the pitch alleviating the pressure will stop us riding our luck. Tiote should be holding, Cabaye needs to be playing off the forwards much further up. I think it's reasonable for Sammy to still be a sub (wouldn't want to ruin his confidence if we give him a start and he doesn't do well) but I'd like him to come on earlier, to get some pace in earlier.